Before the next snow....

I couldn't figure out why my two stage snow thrower wasn't doing well with wet sloppy snow. Googled how to modify snow throwers, figuring pulleys, carbs, etc. No, it's the impelers. Lots of you more savvy wrenches, probably know about this. That friggin 5/8" gap really boogers things up. So yesterday, instead of mopeding in 61* weather, I cut up some surplus industrial belt , closed up the gaps, drilled and screwed into place. Tried it on the heavy windrow of snow along the drive. What a difference! That shit flew! Just wanted to share, BTW , thanks to all the help from MA my two bikes fired up like nobody's biz after the deep freeze!(edited)

Re: Before the next snow....

Maybe put a plow on a trike-ped?

Never!

Andrew Squiggman /

> Drew Willis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe put a plow on a trike-ped?

That would be no fun without having reverse. Half of plowing is backing up. Not to mention so many other problems.

Well, we got 2" of wet snow overnight, the surplus belts I installed, work great! The snow went thru like it was white powder. Unlike my last job, moved like slurpy mix.

Glad you got an A1 snowblower,Les! You'll be renting that thing out! LOL!

Just help out some of the older neighbors Don.

> Les B. Wrote:

> Just help out some of the older neighbors Don.

Yeah, good guys finish last you know..JK,of course. I'm thinking of getting a 2-post lift down here like I have in Ohio so I can do the same and help myself in the bargain.

my trusty '74 airens' runs like a champ. i bent the governor linkage so it runs higher RPM and it makes a huge difference.

was just useing my folk's john deere last night and i'm gonna hve to mod that thing too, totally gutless.

Bought a new mower for down here and the grass made a wimp out of it. Did the same thing,Graham, and the rpms make a big difference.

> Les B. Wrote:

> I couldn't figure out why my two stage snow thrower wasn't doing well

> with wet sloppy snow.

Snow Blowers don't blow wet sloppy snow for Sh*t because it sticks to the inside of the Tine area & also clogs up the chute.

Depending on where you live, 1 trick you can use is to spray the inside of the Tine area & the chute with WD40.

Jim Google search , snow thrower modify, type titles. That's how I found out how to ramp mine up with trimmed conveyor belt ,and sheet metal screws. It works.!

yeah thats a good idea with the belting. i cant imagine my old airens' running much better than it does. you get into some of the low end MTD and off-brand junk and its almost hard to believe how poorly they are made.

i use wax on mine in the spring every year, i take it out of service, lube everything, change the oil, drain the gas, wash and wax it. That way no matter when the first snow hits in the fall/winter, its ready to go. Last year i did a major refresh and tore the whole drive assembly down and cleaned/greased/adjusted everything. The main axle shaft bushings need to be replaced eventually but i might try to fit sealed roller bearing pillow blocks in there instead.

the TRS24 deere actually throws snow really well but the auger in the front doesn't stick out far enough, probably a safety thing? so the front mouth gets hung up in icy drifts. the airens' has the auger sticking way out in front so you can just chew your way through anything

from 2/1 to 2/12 we had 26" come down and its over my hips in the drifts. i'm lucky that i hve a loader tractor to stack it up, otherwise i'd be screwed. gotta go move/stack snow for my neighbors tomorrow because they are out of room to plow it.

IMG_20190213_081501.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account