Stop signs

I was just looking at this video and i have a question regarding stopsigns

I've gotten as far as to assume that a stopsign forces you to stop at an intersection regardless of any other traffic nearby. Because of this i have two questions, what are you supposed to do when stopping at a stopsign besides arbitrarily stopping and who has the right of way?

Re: Stop signs

This intersection is a 4-way stop. When approaching this type of stop sign, vehicles already in the intersection have the right of way, then the vehicle arriving at the intersection first has the right of way. If two vehicles arrive simultaneously, the vehicle on the right has the right of way.

These are being phased out, and replaced with shitty European style traffic circles, or roundabouts.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Shitty meaning more effective in this case.

I'm not a big fan of roundabouts either but thats mainly because cycling is my main means of transportation.

Thanks for answering my question although i'm still curious why everyone stops at a stopsign even when there is no traffic to be seen? It just seems like such a waste of time.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

It's the law, here in Swizzerland you have to stop at stop signs, normally they just stand where you can't foresight if someone is coming or not, thats why you have to stop. Also, people are idiots and some just pull out if they can't foresight what's coming, so it might be a little safer that way.

Here, if someone is already in the intersection he has the right of way and if it's a normal 4 way with Stop signs or no signs on all ends its right before left.

We dont have stopsigns like this over here, when you approach an intersection traffic from the right has the right of way and you stop if you have to stop because of traffic from the right.

The opposite of stopsigns is the way in Belgium where you lose your right of way when you stop your car regardless of where other traffic is coming from.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Normaly stop signs are on sideroads coming into a road wich has right of way anyways, never actually seen a 4 way stop sign intersections like that and wouldn't know were to find one. Also, we only have maybe 3 Traffic Lights in a radius of about 15km from were i live and have a lot of Roundabouts, mostly 1 Lane, but a couple are 2 Lanes, never had a problem going through them.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Roundabouts are sick and efficient when you aren't an idiot.

And when you are an idiot, you crash, so it's a good deterrent.

Roundabouts are better than stopsigns that make you stop regardless of traffic, but as with anything different situations call for different solutions.

We have less roundabouts in my town than we had 5 years ago, sometimes traffic lights are more efficient.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Roundabouts are better than stopsigns that make you stop regardless of

> traffic, but as with anything different situations call for different

> solutions.

>

> We have less roundabouts in my town than we had 5 years ago, sometimes

> traffic lights are more efficient.

Nope! Here in USA where we mostly see cars and not snail scooters on the road, the ROUNDABOUTS are more dangerous to the moped rider.

The problem is RESPECT for the moped is not established here. Stop signs work much better and are safer.

People in USA are `let by' with just slowing down at a stop. This is a major pet peeve of mine. I favor cameras at intersections for gross offenders, but they will use them to make money, so again they take a good idea and ruin it.

If you see a guy that comes to a COMPLETE stop or ONE mph roll at most, that's me driving.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Here in Europe we also see mostly Cars on the road, its not like 50% of all Vehicles are Mopeds or Motorcycles, we just have good Cycling Systems.

I believe the term in the states is run it and gun it.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

Josiah Radebaugh /

Roundaboot's are great when people know how to use them. There is one around here that intersects two 25mph roads to two 55mph roads and people just do not know how to use them making it quite dangerous, had a close call with some wanker in bmw.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> close call with some wanker in bmw.

Taking away the drivers license of everyone that owns a BMW has to be by far the easiest way to improve overal road safety.

^ Lol! :)

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> Roundaboot's are great when people know how to use them. There is one

> around here that intersects two 25mph roads to two 55mph roads and

> people just do not know how to use them making it quite dangerous, had a

> close call with some wanker in bmw.

Uh, you can't have 55 mph traffic going into a 25 mph roundabout. That would be a suicide squeeze,

Chöschi21 C.K. /

We have that around here, 50 into 30, why should that be a problem?

I despise roundabouts, they are more efficient, but no one here "gets" them...seen people stopped in them, totally confused etc...I will change my route to avoid the few I know of. Maybe after a few generations grow up with them they will be safer. Many in my state, MN (ranked to have the 7th worst drivers in the country) pay 0 attention on the road, no turn signals, don't obey traffic signals etc etc...and then to throw something new at them...if people would just put the phone down and concentrate on driving, read the rule book and follow it, they would be just fine. That is quite a bit to ask of our entitled population. I mean it is not like it is for your safety or anything... :)(edited)

> Chöschi21 C.K. Wrote:

> We have that around here, 50 into 30, why should that be a problem?

You slow the 50 traffic down first,right? So it's not a 50 problem because they slowed down.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

The road entering the Roundabout is 50mph, no one slows them down, if there is no traffic coming they could theoretically blow through at 50, but no one does that, because no one is stupid enough to do so.

> Chöschi21 C.K. Wrote:

> The road entering the Roundabout is 50mph, no one slows them down, if

> there is no traffic coming they could theoretically blow through at 50,

> but no one does that, because no one is stupid enough to do so.

That's as stupid a set-up as I've ever heard of.

50 mph traffic on the same road, in a tight curve, WITH 30 mph traffic possibly already ON the roundabout.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

50mph Road ends at the roundabout, i don't think you would be able to take that at 50.

We have the good sense,USUALLY here, to slow traffic WAY before an obstacle like that.

I have a mental picture of approaching that at 50 with no slow down to such and such and doing a power slide trying to negotiate past some guy on the round doing 25 or less. LOL!

Chöschi21 C.K. /

You can see that thing from miles away, if someone doesn't slow down before an obvious obstacle that Person shouldn't be on the road. there was one accident at that Roundabout in the 11 1/2 Years we lived here, and that wasn't because someone was going to fast. About that slowing down stuff, this also happens around here, but as far as i know it happens a lot less than in the USA, on Mountain Passes with sharp corners the speed Limit is 50 all the way when there is one lane for each side of the Road.(edited)

Common sense is becoming a super power in the US.

Josiah Radebaugh /

It's a problem because people try to Ripp around it not paying attention. The speed limit within is supposed to be 25 I think.

We have many here in N. FL. They are okay when empty. LOL! When congested they are a pain. People ae always in a hurry, and,like running a stop sign,they run their turn on the roundabout. BAD for mopeds and bicycles too.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account