Cellphone use in movie theaters

Angry Hipster /

I've heard/read all sorts of excuses from people stating it's an acceptable behavior in certain circumstances..

I personally think whoever does it is an asshole and should be kicked out and/or have their phone broken.

I very rarely go to the movies now due to people's rude behavior.(edited)

Re: Cellphone use in movie theaters

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

The only exception I can think of is if you’re a doctor on call and someone has a medical emergency. Even then, the polite thing to do would be to leave the theatre and take the call in the lobby. So, no there should be no exceptions. I hate it too and rarely go to the movies because of it, as well as the incessant talking during the movie.(edited)

Last movie I went to I had some young shithead talking on his phone till I told him I was going stick it up his ass with no lube. He turned the phone off.

Go to matinees, choice of seats, senior discounts, hot popcorn, no F ing cell phones!

No excuse for it at all, it's too bad the cell jammer's are not legal in this country, I want one anyway. :) I agree, off times are the best hope to avoid this.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I havent been to a movie in several years but honestly ive never experienced an issue during a movie. I guess im lucky

Bad movies attract bad people. If you go to dumb movies like all that superhero crap you're kinda asking for it.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

like all that superhero crap

Thats a large part of the reason i dont go to movies anymore. I dont care for most movies coming out. Even as a child i never cared much for super heroes.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I hadn't been to a movie in a few years and went to a theater in downtown DC to see the new Halloween movie. It was legitimately the worst experience I've ever had in a theater. Everyone just on their phones and talking and shit the whole time. Really ruined it for me. guess i should haven't gone on the weekend it opened lol.

I miss my empty hillbilly movie theaters.

Angry Hipster /

People are self centered assholes.. and it sucks.

There is no good excuse to whip out a cell phone in a movie. . set the phone to vibrate and if you need to take a call walk out and THEN check the screen to answer.

If you're not willing to do that then you're a piece of shit who has no regard for others who have paid money to enjoy the film.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I am guilty of being a person who actively talks about and exclaims my excitement about the movie. I however am aware of it so I'll go like a week after a movie comes out and because Athens, Ohio is tiny and poor, they'll be No ONE in the theater.

talking through a movie can be a shitload of fun, especially if everyones in on it. For example - showing of the room or Rocky Horror are definitely a unique kind of fun. not my every weekend kinda jam but definitely worth doing at least once.

but yea, it's definitely rude and selfish to be talking thru a movie while other people are trying to watch it. cell phone in a movie theater? I mean OK sure, text your mom so she knows you're ok or let your late friend know where you sat but like actively talking on a phone? Do people do that? You used to get kicked out for that. Maybe it's just where you are, maybe its the movies I dunno. I'm with the "haven't seen movie in theater in a while" crowd, I think the last I saw was maybe the 1st new star wars (force awakens, so 2015) and it was a packed urban theater (mall regal 6 kinda place outside Pittsburgh) but everyone was still respectful, no phones or anything obnoxious. everyone just watching a generic uninspired reboot of the original series in which despite defeating the empire and destroying the death star the empire is still exactly the same doing the same shit with even an bigger deathstar?

> Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>I however am aware of it so I'll go like a

> week after a movie comes out and because Athens, Ohio is tiny and poor,

> they'll be No ONE in the theater.

The rare times i do go to a movie it'll be at an inconvenient time weeks after a movie came out so there's noone but me and some friends. Going to a cinema is just way more fun that way.(edited)

Angry Hipster /

Texting and talking in a movie theater is highly inconsiderate, no one goes there and pays money to hear your comments or view the light from your phone.(edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> People are self centered assholes.. and it sucks.

>

> There is no good excuse to whip out a cell phone in a movie. . set the

> phone to vibrate and if you need to take a call walk out and THEN check

> the screen to answer.

>

> If you're not willing to do that then you're a piece of shit who has no

> regard for others who have paid money to enjoy the film.

Don’t go to movies or sporting events, very expensive, I don’t need to help people get millions of $$ for a crap movie or or sporting/sports contract (that’s fixed anyway) with 40-50$ Special event parking and food and drink 10 times the price and then now they cram their political views down our throats nowadays.

Man I want to be entertained and not go to a political debate so sometimes I’ll go to the local plays with local actors at local mini theaters or a high school football or basket ball game or high school play.

Phones are Big problem Now in doctors office and physical therapy Gyms, in sessions people are on their phone or playing games or watching You tubes videos very very loud and talking on phone too.

nothing worse than being in a waiting room and hearing all this going on when there’s a sign saying no cell phone,

I don’t always but When I do (when real bad) tell people to turn it down/use headphones shut the ringer off, shut the popping and the clicking off, take their conversation that includes swearwords like MF out in the hall and they get mad but after I confront them the people like me and the elderly that are in pain don’t want that, rap/music videos loud conversations or candy crush being played at full volume give me the thumbs up,

In physical therapy these phone people go on a exercise machine, recumbent bike other workout equipment and look at their phones while I’m waiting to use one of the machines.

I have to ask people almost every PT session to get off machine that they been on 10 minutes that their 3 reps of 10 only takes two minutes or tell somebody watching YouTube videos just sitting on the bike 15min after they’re done using it.

This phone stuff is just getting worse and worse

Dirty30 Dillon /

There are worst things in life than having someone talk on their phone in a movie theater.

Despite what you paid for, you are in a public space. If you can't handle the associated possibilities of that than modify your own behavior to circumvent putting yourself in a situation that creates your discomfort.

Angry Hipster /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> There are worst things in life than having someone talk on their phone

> in a movie theater.

>

> Despite what you paid for, you are in a public space. If you can't

> handle the associated possibilities of that than modify your own

> behavior to circumvent putting yourself in a situation that creates your

> discomfort.

I literally said that I avoid going in my first post, lol

Nevertheless, the people who use phones and talk in theaters are still inconsiderate douchebags.(edited)

Over here it's quite normal to say something to a person who's using his phone inappropriately. 99% of the time the douchebag(s) will stop without much hassle.

I personally take great joy in correcting young hoodlums because they usually suddenly act really scared and polite.

Angry Hipster /

They have an Alamo Draft house theater I may consider going to. They actively kick the rude assholes who talk and use cellphones out.

It's a bit of a drive for me, but it may just be worth it on the rare occasion a decent movie comes out.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Bad movies attract bad people. If you go to dumb movies like all that

> superhero crap you're kinda asking for it.

You don't like something, so those who do deserve to have a bad time?

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

how about the idiots useing cells instead of lighters at a concert?

c--sheep-atheism.jpg

kevin Smellaflange /

where in the flock are ya'

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

wolf

Dirty30 Dillon /

> __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ Wrote:

> how about the idiots useing cells instead of lighters at a concert?

Sure, the people with cell phones are idiots but the people holding a cigarette lighter up are much more logical.

I think cellphones are fine in theaters as long as you keep the screen brightness low and you're only responding to text messages and social media notifications.

Overpriced Parts /

> Drew Willis Wrote:

> I think cellphones are fine in theaters as long as you keep the screen

> brightness low and you're only responding to text messages and social

> media notifications.

You’re probably young and or still living at home

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> You’re probably young and or still living at home

You probably old and/or get cranky about the amount of meatballs in your Spaghetti-O's.

Progress halts for no one.

meatmaballs

Screw the popcorn stadium...half of em are edbug infested shitholes....

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account