Re: New cars are shit

Yeah,Stephen…...I should downsize from my 88 F-250 to a nice old Courier someday. Trouble is,when I want to go get 2.5 tons of gravel for my driveway or leach bed, how many trips to the quarry would it take? LOL!

Yeah, the Ram 50 cost me $400 on CL, when I finally decided I was done with it I sold it for the same.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah,Stephen…...I should downsize from my 88 F-250 to a nice old Courier

> someday. Trouble is,when I want to go get 2.5 tons of gravel for my

> driveway or leach bed, how many trips to the quarry would it take? LOL!

I would keep that 250, a hell of a truck. I would buy another Courier, but you can't find them anymore, the rust eats them up.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> Yeah, the Ram 50 cost me $400 on CL, when I finally decided I was done

> with it I sold it for the same.

That's the way to do it!

Just picked up a 2020 Toyota on Saturday.

Right there, on the showroom floor is a early 2k Camry.... 336,000 on it's odo.

The outside is a little rough, but the mechanics are sound.

This is my first Japanese car since 1980, but I have family members that built the seats, dash, and vehicle working at the Princeton, Indiana plant, so I'm OK with it.

Now I can say that I know you got money to pay me back, because I already paid Toyota cash.

Damn thing is smooth and quiet. Can't hear the engine idle when standing next to it.

I had a dodge arrow pickup in highschool. it was actually kinda cool looking back but we had zero appreciation for it a the time. pretty sure it's pretty much the mightymax but it was an epeically wrecked pile of shit .

one of these, but in way worse shape. It was super weird because someone had had a weird dual clutch automatic transmission or something, I didn't know much at the time but it was automatic but still had a functional clutch pedal which disengaged the engine. odd. it als was rusted through most of the floor so you could watch the road whizzing by underneath. the scariest was we got it with one oversize tire that'd rub hard on any bump and yank the car to the left.

it was $75 at an autoauction, we barely got it the hour home and then mostly bombed it around as a woods beater. it was 2wd and gutless, it got stuck once and we wound up having to pull it out with a far more off-road capable Volvo 240 wagon... later we decided to demolition derby it against a Plymouth lazer (gen1 Mitsubishi eclipse) and the lazer was unquestionably the victor, the truck radiator cracked quickly and so we just rev'd it til the engine seized and sold it to a scrapper.

The one POS car I wish I still had was another Mitsubishi Dodge, 1984 Dodge Challenger. The predecessor to the Chrysler Starion. That thing was a fun little jammer.

Working on a stinkin FWD 2003 Cavalier tomorrow. My Daughter hit a semi truck tire casing when going around Atlanta yesterday. Bent the tranny pan badly, but made it another 300+ miles to our home in FL.

Fluid was pooling under her car as it sat in my driveway.

I don't yet know if it messed up the trans case. Gotta slide under it tomorrow and of course if the case is messed up,it'll take some doing to make it a sealable surface again.

I can imagine what a shop would do if she just pulled it in and said to fix it.

Replace the trans probably will cost more than the car is worth. I'll give it the ol backyard mechanic effort.

New pan at Oreilly's for a 4T40-E trans ( a dorman with drain plug), is 52 bucks. Filter and gasket is 20 bucks. 4 or 5 qts. fluid also.

We'll see.

If it puddled in the driveway after a 300 mile drive I'd be optimistic about the condition of the internals. Sounds like it's only leaking somewhere on the low pressure side, just the pan gasket or maybe dipstick. Areas the fluid doesn't even reach while the engine is running.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> If it puddled in the driveway after a 300 mile drive I'd be optimistic

> about the condition of the internals. Sounds like it's only leaking

> somewhere on the low pressure side, just the pan gasket or maybe

> dipstick. Areas the fluid doesn't even reach while the engine is

> running.

Yes, my thoughts exactly,Thomas. I sure hope for no case damage. I am going out there and start as soon as I line up the parts from Oreilly's.

Well, finished the job on my daughter's cavalier. No case damage,just pan damage. Pretty easy job,although I hate lying on the driveway.

NOW the car has a charging problem,or a battery current draw problem. That's tomorrow, I'll be pulling fuses one by one.. LOL!

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Well, finished the job on my daughter's cavalier. No case damage,just

> pan damage. Pretty easy job,although I hate lying on the driveway.

>

> NOW the car has a charging problem,or a battery current draw problem.

> . That's tomorrow, I'll be pulling fuses one by one.. LOL!

Yay!

I’d do a heavy visual inspection, see if something might be damaged and shorting after the highway gator encounter,

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Needs a battery. Check the date code.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Well, finished the job on my daughter's cavalier. No case damage,just

>

> > pan damage. Pretty easy job,although I hate lying on the driveway.

>

> >

>

> > NOW the car has a charging problem,or a battery current draw problem.

>

> > . That's tomorrow, I'll be pulling fuses one by one.. LOL!

>

> Yay!

>

> I’d do a heavy visual inspection, see if something might be damaged and

> shorting after the highway gator encounter,

Blaine, I checked the battery first thing.....just bought it on 3/19 and it charged up okay. I did the heavy visual,Thomas. Only thing damaged was that trans pan that I could see.

The cavalier has the neg. cable that first grounds to the battery box bottom and then to the engine(it's soaking in PB Blaster for the overnight). I am suspecting that it needs cleaned up.

The alternator is putting out okay, but not great.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've gotta get it fixed soon as she's going back to Tenn on Friday.

My buddy just picked up his Gladiator the day we got back from Tortola..... Stock wheels off, still think it needs more meat even with the 35s... Monday it gets dropped off for the 797hp hellcat motor swap, front runner rack, arb bumpers, front winch, sliders, and 3 piece full length skid plate. Says he Might do a subtle lift and throw 37s on it after the 35s get roasted lolololololol

21123623-DFEE-4417-85D1-A8DFB91BB357.jpeg

594398C0-AC59-44D7-8353-22CF1F717387.jpeg

3F06425A-E3AC-4A19-908A-7BC440A0E340.jpeg

PS: cheers fuqers! Tortola got rocked by the last hurricane and is still recovering. Empty beaches are ok with me though!Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 09:01AM by jayson_sumpter.

C64CAD82-F2A0-400A-AD4B-FCA0A2E71673.jpeg

38142C1B-546B-4FB7-9D6C-99AC0EC56105.jpeg

87B9B193-0618-4EAA-BE9F-A4409B84899E.jpeg

fuck that sounds expensive

mercedes.jpg

I was given this old Mercedes diesel car. It has 300k on it and received flood damage from hurricane Harvey. I assume they thought the engine was seized, but it turns out the alternator and compressor were, a bit of work and the engine runs fine and transmission seems to work (I'll know more when I unfreeze the stuck parking brake and install an alternator so I can get the water pump going)

It's been quite a crash course for me as I have never worked on a diesel, but the more I learn about the car the more I have to admit they seem to be the best car ever built *as far as durability and holding up against age* they seem to have the ability to go over 600k if maintained properly and reports of over 1 million miles are out there.

Of course the new Mercedes are hot garbage compared to the old stuff.......

The Oldsmobile in the picture is my daily driver, and before that I drove several 1977-79 Cadillacs daily.

That Olds will run forever....3800? Those '80's benz were built like a bank vault, only issue I have with them is service costs a fortune. Been watching an '86 560 sel, sitting for 2 yrs and just recently someone broke the window trying to steal it, could prob be had for super cheap, body really nice....but why was it sitting in the first place? if the trans is out or something it is just not affordable for me to repair.

Yes, 3800 Naturally Aspirated. 75K on it. ECM and Waterpump got it running after I bought it. That waterpump sucked more than normal since it required removing an engine mounting bracket. A new A/C Programmer made the automatic climate control system functional again.

Been to Tortola....nice! Hilly as heck! It was my wife's favorite over all the places and islands we saw on our 10 day cruise.

ERIC from Idaho! /

Last of the good ones:

Naturally aspirated 3 liter, 24valve, inline 6. 240 hp, 200 ft/lbs

6-speed manual

Rear wheel drive

no I-drive

No Nav

hydraulic steering

manual seats

a radio with a volume knob

a heater with a knob

pure and simple :)

I love it so much I put 20k on it last year! its at 70k now, so I bought the moped to preserve this a little better.

Nice! What year is it? Surely it has AC?

The mercedes is an 83 and it came factory with A/C; oddly the compressor is a 1980s craptasic GM Compressor.

> ERIC from Idaho! Wrote:

> Last of the good ones:

>

> Naturally aspirated 3 liter, 24valve, inline 6. 240 hp, 200 ft/lbs

>

> 6-speed manual

>

> Rear wheel drive

>

> no I-drive

>

> No Nav

>

> hydraulic steering

>

> manual seats

>

> a radio with a volume knob

>

> a heater with a knob

>

> pure and simple :)

>

> I love it so much I put 20k on it last year! its at 70k now, so I bought

> the moped to preserve this a little better.

>

> https://i.imgur.com/OIADGdqh.jpg

As a BMW/MINI shop foreman, I concur. Always like those.

> Jose Leon Wrote:

>

> As a BMW/MINI shop foreman, I concur. Always like those.

Are you at a dealer or?

I had a coworker with a new Mini and the local BMW dealer refused to touch Minis for some reason. He had to take it to the Mini dealer over an hour away.

I still think it’s dumb they named the new brand after an old model. When I was a baby my parents briefly had a fo-real Morris Mini Cooper.

The little ones with the tiny wheels are hysterical....(real mini) Jason Bourne had some fun with one...

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

25+ warning lamps. Mazda was anticipating a lot of issues with this one.

1CA0261F-C5A7-4270-8F2A-3D3599503045.jpeg

And why do Mercedes and BMW’s smell like Elmers glue inside?

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> 25+ warning lamps. Mazda was anticipating a lot of issues with this one.

>

> And why do Mercedes and BMW’s smell like Elmers glue inside?

I'd guess some sort of latex based adhesive on the interiors. I hated having to pull interiors on pre-90s Mercedes because they used horsehair padding for way longer than most manufacturers. The mold and dust that accumulates inside the seats wrecked my sinuses.

« Go to Topic — end of thread