What are your thoughts on scooters?

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I was planning on choosing an older two stroke vespa as my daily rider when I get my motorcycle endorsement. What your opinion on them? My personal favorites are the manual shift vespa px250's or the Primaveras. Got any thought or suggestions for me? or maybe some photos of your own scooters?

Re: What are your thoughts on scooters?

Angry Hipster /

I really liked my Honda Sprees, I hated the Honda Metropolitan I owned for awhile.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I was very invested in honda sprees for a while, I have a honda metropolitan now and I like it quite a lot. I do have a few picky things the I'm gonna replace as soon as the warranty wears off. I'm planning on a de-restricted exhaust and a beefier shock. I've been on r/scooters for a while and with the exhaust that I've found I should be able to squeeze about 50mph out o the engine.

> Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was planning on choosing an older two stroke vespa as my daily rider

> when I get my motorcycle endorsement. What your opinion on them? My

> personal favorites are the manual shift vespa px250's or the Primaveras.

> Got any thought or suggestions for me? or maybe some photos of your own

> scooters?

With the potholes and slick tarred roads in around Athens and Southern Ohio, you'd better be careful on a tiny-tired scoot. Wear the brain bucket.

^ For sure, wheel size is my only gripe with scooters, my choice would be the Honda CH-80, totally bullet-proof, good for about 45 stock, if you want something highway legal go with a maxi scooter, with larger wheels than the Vespa 200, a great bike, but the wheelbase and tire size would not be great on the highway, Yamaha majesty, Suz Burgman, Honda Helix come to mind. Kymco makes a great bike too, but have no personal experience with them.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I really like the honda helix, I don't enjoy traveling without other people so for my uses the vespa's top speed of 55 is all I really need. As for potholes, I do would intend on altering the shocks. I can't do much about the wheel base, Athens where I live is SUPER poor and in debt so there's pretty much a negative percent chance of slick blacktop. The only thing is wet bricks, those are scary even on a moped. Town driving is the ideal thing I'd use it for, however Athens, the main place I like to ride is a few miles from my house, I can take a no traffic 55mph road or a high traffic and super curvy 45mph road. Either way it's super scary to have the cars pass and whip past me. Keeping up with traffic is my only need for a bigger bike. I'd prefer a two stroke just because of the aura that they have about them. Maxi scooters, unless they're the touring scooters that are older like the gts300 or the honda helix I don't like them at all.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

a rug doctor.

> scooters?

You're talking large frame vs. smallframe. If you're in the US you can find a P series that's less than 15 years old or a LML/Stella that's less than 10. Any Smallies are going to be at least 35 or more. I've got a '64 v90 that has seen service as a daily rider. Totally doable but about as reliable as most mopeds.

For a daily I'd probably go with a largeframe bike, engines not working as hard to go 50+ mph. They will go fast enough to keep up buy I still wouldn't enjoy a highway commute on one.

If getting there on time matters I'd find a Japanese motorcycle.

Scooters are as dumb as mopeds.

IMG_20171019_133425945.jpg

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My 2005 Vespa GT 200. Tops out around 70 mph. Cadillac of scooters.

FB78E9B1-6B0D-477C-9ADC-D08E8138F6DD.jpeg

BY slicked tarred roads,Alex, I mean the country roads that the tar always boils up thru on sunny summer days. This is not only slick when hot,but when the rain hits it it's like a wetpane of glass.

I know Athens and brick streets too. Never rode there though. Been out near Albany from Wilkesville and Rt. 689?

Brick streets are a mofo on anything. I don't like the moped or vintage scooter wheels on some of our downtown streets. Throw in trolley tracks and drunk tourists and it's even more fun.

The TGB's fatty 10" wheels soak that shit up though.

Overpriced Parts /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> BY slicked tarred roads,Alex, I mean the country roads that the tar

> always boils up thru on sunny summer days. This is not only slick when

> hot,but when the rain hits it it's like a wetpane of glass.

>

> I know Athens and brick streets too. Never rode there though. Been out

> ut near Albany from Wilkesville and Rt. 689?

Where I live there’s several roads that every year they tar and gravel so you got to have at least 70s type moped type tires if not duel type dirt/street all purpose type tires! slick moped racing street type tires are useless,

I don’t understand how these young folks don’t nothing about anything when it comes to road conditions, when in the 70s when we had horrible brakes on cars or bikes you name it and still had 70 mph speed limits! I don’t get it ! just put the phone in your face and your bike will go by it’s self it’s Fine!

Actually in Akron Ohio today some dumb ass female person J walked across the street talking on the phone with a green light Against her on a one-way road,

I was going 35-37 in a 35 mph and I almost killed her, I would’ve and got away with it on my minivan but it was a lot of damage so I stopped and told her you’re supposed to rock against the traffic that with the traffic not half way in the right lane!

I didn’t want to deal with and I don’t know if I could live with it\ myself if there was a chance I couldn’t stop from killing somebody but these young folk are dumb as abox of rocks nowadays as motorist and or pedestrians/ bicyclist/ motorcyclist also!

All are stupid! I mean I saw a motorcycle person checking his phone going 40 miles an hour on a 25mph street ! my God it’s like a third of population is dumb as a box of rocks,

Wow !

Dirty30 Dillon /

Here comes the "all the young people are dumb crew..."

Overpriced Parts /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Here comes the "all the young people are dumb crew..."

No not just real young people but at PT that I go to 2-3 times a week many people even in their 50s-60s (still young for nowadays) have their phone in their face playing games, texting, looking at videos or who knows what instead of doing their physical therapy/instead of counting reps,

I mean they are on a machine, recumbent bike, hand pullies, leg press, rolling or hand bike, any Machine or piece of equipment you name it for 20 minutes instead of the few minutes it takes to do their few reps and I’m like “hey are you done with that machine so I can use it” all the past year this happened they would say “ in a minute” when they would be on it already for 15 minutes instead of a few minutes like it should take.

I’ve actually gotten on the therapist about this crap and even some of them had their phone or tablet in their face too at the same time when they should be getting on these people to get on to complete their program/reps especially when someone’s waiting to use that piece of equipment! Yeah sometimes they put data down in their tablet but I believe sometimes they were just looking at Who knows what!

So it’s not just a real young person but I would say younger than most seventy year-old persons that seem have to have to have a smart phone in the face is what is the problem!

Man I get off at most exit ramps from a freeway and every cars/like 10 cars all around me (even in a area that has signs that say “use of cell phone is banned”) everyone of them have their phones in the face checking who knows what when they come at the intersection waiting for the light to change!

I mean I guess it must be that addictive for most people it seems,

I like the freedoms of United States but it’s almost that have to get to the point where it is in someplaces like in UK where police look into binoculars to see if people are on their phones while they are driving or riding a bicycle and ticket them because it is a safety issue!

Man I’m so happy I wasn't born or raised nowadays in this phone in face generation because my iPhone 4 gets very little use!

I wouldn’t even have nothing but a flip phone and I wouldn’t even need one of those that if they didn’t get rid of payphones but work forced me to take pictures and email of job site conditions that were encountered during the day and instead of taking a Polaroid picture and bringing it to the shop in the morning it was more instant like it was is the normal !

Some cities have laws that you can’t walk through the crosswalk while looking at your phone yet people still do, almost 300 more pedestrian fatalities last year because people being distracted with smart phone in face! this has to stop!

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > BY slicked tarred roads,Alex, I mean the country roads that the tar

>

> > always boils up thru on sunny summer days. This is not only slick when

>

> > hot,but when the rain hits it it's like a wetpane of glass.

>

> >

>

> > I know Athens and brick streets too. Never rode there though. Been out

>

> > ut near Albany from Wilkesville and Rt. 689?

>

> Where I live there’s several roads that every year they tar and gravel

> l so you got to have at least 70s type moped type tires if not duel type

> dirt/street all purpose type tires! slick moped racing street type tires

> are useless,

>

> I don’t understand how these young folks don’t nothing about anything

> when it comes to road conditions, when in the 70s when we had horrible

> brakes on cars or bikes you name it and still had 70 mph speed limits!

> I don’t get it ! just put the phone in your face and your bike will go

> by it’s self it’s Fine!

>

>

>

> Actually in Akron Ohio today some dumb ass female person J walked across

> the street talking on the phone with a green light Against her on a

> one-way road,

>

> I was going 35-37 in a 35 mph and I almost killed her, I would’ve and

> nd got away with it on my minivan but it was a lot of damage so I

> stopped and told her you’re supposed to rock against the traffic that

> with the traffic not half way in the right lane!

>

> I didn’t want to deal with and I don’t know if I could live with it\

> myself if there was a chance I couldn’t stop from killing somebody but

> these young folk are dumb as abox of rocks nowadays as motorist and or

> pedestrians/ bicyclist/ motorcyclist also!

>

> All are stupid! I mean I saw a motorcycle person checking his phone

> going 40 miles an hour on a 25mph street ! my God it’s like a third of

> population is dumb as a box of rocks,

>

> Wow !

Yeah,Ken! And they got the vote! LOL! Pelosi wants to lower the age to 16 to vote.

Anyone, regardless of age, checking thier phone on a motorcycle at speed ought to have thier license suspended.

> scooters?

My thoughts are that those are motorcycles by most states definitions. Also, that they are old, two stroke, valuable, and parts aren't just laying on shelves locally. I would never ride on as a primary transport or if I needed to rely on it to be somewhere.

That said, I had a Stella 150 and it was a blast at low speeds but I really didn't "enjoy" it on longer cruises. The tiny wheels, narrow tires, and short suspension made rough roads iffy. Even with a disc brake I doubted the ability to haul the bike down from speed because of it's weight even though it was the weight that made it feel more stable. One or two cars that weren't even looking my way at intersections and I realized how useless the bike would be in a panic stop.

Overpriced Parts /

I repaired and fixed a late 80s 250cc Honda elite scooter and it was a rocketship!

It Did low 70s mph but at that speed on that little bike it felt like accident waiting to happen!

kevin Smellaflange /

old vespa...a good choice, but the Lambretta brand is a highly sought after winner also.

get a spare motor.

factory tools. etc.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

does anyone here have their own vespa, stella, lambretta scooter? what's their knot to 60 or 50 or 45. Which one should I be looking for the most? I was thinking vespa just because they are very popular and are readily available in terms of parts and they're a manual.

My thoughts on scooters:

image.jpeg

I love Vespas.

What do you want out of the bike? Once that’s determined it’s easier to choose the right bike.

I clicked on this, then remembered I clicked it yesterday and realized it was hopeless.

though it looks like it's back on track! neat!

I had a px125 I think it was. I traded it for an mb5. it was definitely super fun though, wheelie machine. maybe it was a p200? I honest;ly don't remember but I used a buncha random Bajaj parts. Pretty sure it was a 125

whatever, it's fun as hell, lots of room to do custom stuff, big canvas for paint or stickers, plenty of power and manual shift was super awesome fun. kinda miss it but I had a motorcycle for distance and the MB5 fit my needs better - #1 being letting my wife have a shifty she could learn to shift on

My Stella would do ~55 all day at 7/8 throttle and indicated about 60. Cruised much more comfortable at 45-50. Got to near top speed (never topped it, tiny wheels sketched me out) in 12-15 sec but got to 40 in about 8 if I were guessing. Kept up with any car that was normally accelerating. It's still a motorcycle though.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I have reviewed the laws and stuff and they DO indeed qualify as a motorcycle. All I really want out of it is to be able to not feel like I'm gonna get sucked underneath a semi when they pass me. Going about 25-35 on a 55mph road is quite risky, but it's also my only way into town. Unless I risk using my "Driving points" for the week (Driving points- what my mom calls her driving me places I need to go if I don't want to or can't ride there myself.) Thanks for all the advice and info. I'm just gonna keep my eye on craigslist and facebook marketplace.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I don't really like the look of scooters. They are quite a bit of fun but if I were to get something bigger displacement it'd be a 100-250 two smoke something. Like if I were come across one, a Yamaha RD-250. Or some other small bike of sorts.

Why ride something ugly? If you want to go faster,SAFER,get the moped's big brother...……...the motorcycle. Great seat,ride,brakes, and a little more visibility from cagers.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

The majority of motorcycles that are and have been manufactured, in my opinion, pale in comparison to my view of the elegant style and movement of the vintage-like style of a scooter. The exeption to my opinion is the honda cub, the batavus mk4, and some miscellaneous models that I have breifly seen on craigslist that I cannot recall. Also, statistically, the amount of accidents overall go, moped as the highest, motorcycle, the scooters at the low end of the spectrum. As well, it depends on the driver mostly, although there are some factors that are out of our own control such as other drivers. I respectfully disagree. I have gone to dealerships and such and I have personally found that the scooters have been more comfortable and seem to be more visible as hey are brighter colors such as red, green, or perhaps yellow. While the mass of the motorcycles were black. As for brakes, that depends on the model. I'll do some personal research and decide on my decisions for a daily rider. I won't have to worry about this for a while. I respectfully disagree, non-aggressively.(edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I love mopeds, but Scooters are also fun. Most importantly, they are extremely reliable and safe. Kim and I own six scooters, including two Vespas. The wife and I ride our scoots together all the time. She feels safer because she can keep up with traffic rather than having to ride the shoulder with her moped. As far as looks are concerned, who cares if some people think they are ugly. The overwhelming majority of feedback we get when riding our scoots is positive.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Scooters are excellent. I would love to grab an older PX150 and just have something that the girlfriend and I could tool around on carefree.

I rode a Vespa GT300 the other day and was floored by how comfortable and powerful the bike was. Actually could not hold on hard enough if i pinned it.

That said, the RD250 output is STAGGERINGLY higher. If you're looking for a 50mph, that's overkill. Let alone it's way heavier and harder to manuever compared to a scoot.

Anyone who is saying don't ride a scooter, ride a moped or a motorcycle, is missing the point. Different tools for different tasks. I like them all

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account