Re: What are your thoughts on scooters?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Definitely. Just used that as an example. There is actually a Kawasaki Roadrunner for sale for 200 I've been looking at.

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Definitely. Just used that as an example. There is actually a Kawasaki

> Roadrunner for sale for 200 I've been looking at.

Where's that road runner for sale? If you're not going to pick it up I might be interested in it.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Well, I'll probably get it if I have enough money after getting a load of parts and possibly buying another ped and some custome paint. But it's in athes. Given what he told me I don't think it's all that bad. I'd like to get it

> Well, I'll probably get it if I have enough money after getting a load

> of parts and possibly buying another ped and some custome paint. But

> it's in athes. Given what he told me I don't think it's all that bad.

> I'd like to get it

I think those motors are pretty similar to the KE100's; if you get it and need any parts I have a couple odds and ends for KE100's sitting around, as well as a service manual.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Neat, I'ma message him soon to look at it and decided if it's worth it

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If I could I'd get a g n s scooter just saw it look like the dude from The Who without a haircut and I imagine they're just as temperamental if not more than mopeds I could just imagine the English wiring system

kevin Smellaflange /

scooters are different than, a swing your leg over style....m/c or pedal vehicle.

the first time i rode one, it made me feel like i was sitting in a chair, very twitchy.

it takes about 20 minutes to get used to it.

i have 4 yamaha scooters now 3... 125cc vino

1 ...50cc zuma 2

they are easier to ride double on. zap to the store.

they do about 55 mph

they get 97 mpg...

mopeds are as free & legal as they come except for a bicycle..even that has a rear light law, here.

scooters are o.k.

I remember the old ZUMA...……..it was more like a moped,since it had moped sized tires instead of little pothole divers.

I can't remember the vino much, but the Apriia Scarabeo didn't look so ugly either.

i say get what you want. if an old vespa gets you excited to two-wheel, then get one.

i've never owned one, but if i were to get one, i'd go for a late-70's to mid-'80's P200 or PX200. these can be sweet bikes, and respond to mild bolt-on mods quite well--as well as total hot-rodding.

the thing about them is--as one poster implied--they can be as cantankerous as our beloved mopeds. but like our mopeds, they can be reliable to a point, as well. it's all how you approach it, and how you build/take care of it.

as far as the poster who implied that scooters are ugly, i myself find vespas to be incredibly sexy bikes. never my thing, as i'm a moped-MC guy, but i see the beauty in them, for sure.(edited)

If you like the styling and the ergonomics of an old Vespa, then get one. A Vespa P200 will sit quite happily at 55 mph and prices are still relatively low for a good example.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Scooters are cool. Specially the older two stroke Vespas. Found a pretty Minty RD-125 for 550. Two spare cylnder sets. 1 carb,both pipes and some tranny bits. And it's nearly aesthetically perfect. Scootas are Nifty but still prefer Peds

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Objectively, I would rather have a scooter than a performance moped, SUBjectively, I would go for a riiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppin' moped. We'll see how this turns out.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I am always surprised how HEAVY old smallframes are. Like, they look nimble but there is alot of sheet metal in there.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I am always surprised how HEAVY old smallframes are. Like, they look

> nimble but there is alot of sheet metal in there.

I’ll have to compare. I swear my smallie isn’t much heavier than my Tomos. It is super nimble, but that comes at a loss of high speed stability.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

These newer electric ones are the wave of the future man I seen one that was just incredible there was two sets of Wheels front and back and it basically had a self-leveling and shock-absorbing suspension and it was all Bluetooth controlled through of a freaking control panel and a phone interface then it would look like it had no engine all everything was in the wheels and it look like a square frame been here it had like legs Shields and these nets to keep car go between your legs so it's like a huge amount of cargo space on it and a boogies so the first one the one that had the the four wheels was off road and everything the one that didn't look like it had an engine look more like a weird Square type bicycle but it was electric headlights taillights everything integrated and then there are these bicycle moped clone thingies they're coming out of China and they're amazing they look just like old school mopeds but they're really motor assist Electric the future looks very very very scary for your classic moped

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I Understand? punctuation is a very helpful thing when reading long passages. I fear too for the electric takeover ( I am assuming that I interpreted your writing correctly). My little brother just got one of those little electric razor motorcycles for Christmas and it goes about 14mph for an hour on a 3 hour charge. That's not a terrible ratio, but it could be better. The electric future IS indeed upon us and it does threaten mopeds and other classic modes of transportation. I don't honestly care a whole lot about it, as long as someone is riding these classic bikes (all bikes, scooters, motorcycles, and mopeds) they'll continue to go on. But the sad truth is that one day, there will be no one left to remember and ride these two wheeled pieces of Culture.

Here in Athens the electric future has already begun, all of our parking meters are no run by a solar powered kiosk and a phone app. I see more and more Prius's every day and there's an electric motorcycle that is advocating for LGBT+ pride going around. I hardly see people even stopping to read the paper or even read today's events off the walls of public places. The world is changing at a pace comparable to the industrial revolution of the 20th century, and all we can do is watch it happen.

There's no escaping it, it's already here.

Just some food for thought.(edited)

kevin Smellaflange /

if gas is available, then mopeds will be a great alternative to a electric scooter.

old knowledge keeps them going.

if electric was here first, then it would be hard to convince people to get up to your elbows in grease & grime & mess & old clothes to work on it & smells or books on how to fix it.

Josiah Radebaugh /

There are even electric vehicle charging in some of the paring garages. Even better. We has SOLAR POWER TRASH CANS. So instead of using money to fix trash roads, Athens buys a bunch of solar power trash and recycling bins... Geez. The one thing I fear is the the EPA will be smakin down on Mopeds and other carbureted machines. Especially two stroke... Not to say they'll die.. But I feel like it might be different. Like you have to pay an environment fee.(edited)

^ there are not enough of them to worry about that.

> Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy Wrote:

> I Understand? punctuation is a very helpful thing when reading long

> passages. I fear too for the electric takeover ( I am assuming that I

> interpreted your writing correctly). My little brother just got one of

> those little electric razor motorcycles for Christmas and it goes about

> 14mph for an hour on a 3 hour charge. That's not a terrible ratio, but

> it could be better. The electric future IS indeed upon us and it does

> threaten mopeds and other classic modes of transportation. I don't

> honestly care a whole lot about it, as long as someone is riding these

> classic bikes (all bikes, scooters, motorcycles, and mopeds) they'll

> continue to go on. But the sad truth is that one day, there will be no

> one left to remember and ride these two wheeled pieces of Culture.

>

> Here in Athens the electric future has already begun, all of our parking

> meters are no run by a solar powered kiosk and a phone app. I see more

> and more Prius's every day and there's an electric motorcycle that is

> advocating for LGBT+ pride going around. I hardly see people even

> stopping to read the paper or even read today's events off the walls of

> public places. The world is changing at a pace comparable to the

> industrial revolution of the 20th century, and all we can do is watch it

> happen.

>

> There's no escaping it, it's already here.

>

> Just some food for thought.

I'm gonna bring my StreetMate down there and straighten those electric lovin' idgits out. LOL! Right up on the hill in the middle of Athens.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Hill in the middle of Athens? You've obviously never visited, ALL of Athens is a hill. I avoid riding there at all costs, although it is the ONLY place for me to get my oil, food, and have some fun. Usually I take my metropolitan if I'm going into Athens, 40 year old shock don't take too kindly to poorly kept bricks and potholes.

I do love the storage, underseat, in he legshields, plus a rack AND the floorboards. my old shitbox scooter I carried all kinds of shit that i'd never have managed on a moped. 1/4 kegs and whole engines, even up to a 250 motorcycle engine (looked absolutely hilarious tucked in there), bicycles (OK I've carried bikes on mopeds but the scooter was definitely easier) several pairs of wheels at once...

there are certain distinct advantages. it's also undeniably less fun to huck around corners, less satisfying of a style and riding position personally, and moderately more of a pain to work on

Josiah Radebaugh /

.... Athens is just a mountain of holes and bricks... I hate it... Specifically the roads. If there is trafic you cant really go below 10 then people start getting mad. I mean the fastest routs to get anywhere requires you to take your poor 40 year old bike with almost original everything of uneven trash bricks... I mean bricks aren't bad if they're actually level and don't create a bunch of little humps in the road. Also on every road there are a bunch of potholes... I hurts to run through a pot hole. Doesn't hurt me but it hurts to hear and feel my bike to take a hit like that.. I've found routs around the trash bricks and most of the potholes but It's still trash.. I don't really mind hills much, taking off without nutting a clutch is a little annoying but I usually just avoid those roads. Anyway... Scootas... Pretty nifty, just dont like the styling.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I am always surprised how HEAVY old smallframes are. Like, they look

>

> > nimble but there is alot of sheet metal in there.

>

> I’ll have to compare. I swear my smallie isn’t much heavier than my

> Tomos. It is super nimble, but that comes at a loss of high speed

> stability.

So the smallie is a bit heavier than the Tomos, but not by much. It's definitely not as balanced fore and aft, but that changes with bodyweight on there.

I borrowed a friends built P200 last week. Those are heavy. That thing has enough launch to scare me though, it doesn't want the front wheel to touch the ground, probably why his front axle is bent, its a fucking blast to ride but doesn't corner as nicely as my v90. If I'm really chasing speed and curves I choose one of my modern bikes though.

> Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy Wrote:

> Hill in the middle of Athens? You've obviously never visited, ALL of

> Athens is a hill. I avoid riding there at all costs, although it is the

> ONLY place for me to get my oil, food, and have some fun. Usually I take

> my metropolitan if I'm going into Athens, 40 year old shock don't take

> too kindly to poorly kept bricks and potholes.

I was probably driving in Athens before you were born,Alex. The city has hills and a bunch of flats going out of it. Still the flats are in Athens. But I'll still ride that StreetMate up there and conquer the bricks. LOL!

Josiah Radebaugh /

There is one "flat" leaving Athens that's not a freeway/highway. Everywhere else is hills and over 45.

kevin Smellaflange /

antique is grandfathered in, i don't think they can just order you to give up your transport when it's great on gas & has less pollution through out out it's lifespan

than a big diesel truck just on ''start up''!

> There is one "flat" leaving Athens that's not a freeway/highway.

> Everywhere else is hills and over 45.

If you really live there,you oughta remember back down State St., Union St., Columbus Rd., and , and Richland Ave. thru town. I run roads over 45 all the time. You just hafta be careful and ready to get out of the way.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Well to get to any of those places you must hit some hills. And they all at some point go over 45. But yes there are a number of flats in athens.(edited)

Racing tolet seats are fun to abuse! you can do all the things you wouldent do with your moped like muddin jumpin driftin honda aero 50 ftw 50-50 with just a pipe!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account