Those 4 stroke lazer 5 mopeds.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

What's up with those. I'm seeing more and more ads for em' on craigslist.

Re: Those 4 stroke lazer 5 mopeds.

> Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What's up with those. I'm seeing more and more ads for em' on

> craigslist.

I've never had a Lazer but I did have an SSR pit bike and honestly the thing wasn't even bad. I'd buy one.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Nifty lookin thangs I'd get one, get as much out if its stock engine and eventually drop one of these in it(edited)

Overpriced Parts /

I just followed what looked to be a brand new Lazer 5 yesterday on the way to the doctor/physical therapy on a 35mph road (that most people go 40-45mph on) in my van, It hit 32mph on slight down hill but goin up the opposing very slight up hill it slowed to 27-25mph

I didn’t want to pass him on a double yellow but I had to because it was piling up 10 of us 10 cars behind me, a car/the cars behind me thinking it was me going very slow because He/they couldn’t see the bike in front of me, were looking to try to pass me, if one would’ve passed my van they may have ran into the bike I was thinking,

If you can’t have a motor bike that goes near 40mph on a 35mph road Mph Road it’s plain dangerous nowadays.

When Moped‘s were invented/popular there was half the population and half the automobiles on the same single lane roads plus now all the drivers are distracted with phone in face so if you’re going to have a slow stock bike stay on a 25 mph road

After a relatively short lifespan (cheap) 4 strokes tend to malfunction due to people not bothering to ever set the valves and then the market gets flooded with them.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I'd like a small 4 stroke. Ive been riding a 4 stroke yamaha zuma 50 and I was quite impressed. Has a little 3 valve vtech kinda thing going on. does 40 on flat. I'd like to find a 4 stroke moped of sorts to screw with. I've thought about getting one of those wee Yamaha kids dirt bike engines to slap on a Moped. Wouldn't be worth it though.

Dirty30 Dillon /

There have been hundreds of thousands of the horizontal honda motor clones made... these are not the good ones.

If you want a little 4t thing, get an Elite or something.

I've had a few, I usually would get them because they "stopped working" and were basically given to me. One I got as payment for helping a guy clean a carburetor on his derbi...

They CAN be somewhat reliable. Main issues are the same issues you see with like the clone carbs and stuff. - cheap materials, and mismatched materials so bolts tend to corrode and ge3t stuck and then easily strip or snap. poor tolerance s and QC meant that seals would pop out because the holes were machined well or shit would leak, covers would warp because not properly heat treated. also castings were fast, which akes stuff cheaper but weaker. drop it on the side and it's now got a giant crack (yeah, I did that) where a decent casting would just have a dent maybe.

Theyre just cheaper. and it's a big part just a gamble - one way they make it cheaper is low QC, if you throw out the 1 outta 20 that isn't actually gonna work for the next 2000 miles, your overall cost for each just raised 5%. So you can get a lazer 5 or a lifan or whatever and 19/20 are ok, but you're gambling that it's not gonna have some misaligned oil hole and fail to lube the camshaft.

Also price and quality went hand in hand - get a $350 lifan engine and it's wayyy better than the $250 ones. Mostly it seems they were almost intended to be disposable though. like one breaks, replace the whole thing it's only 300 bucks anyway...

still, just by being newer, they got some nice parts like hydraulic brakes and forks etc. (that said those brake masters tend to leak out the pistons in a few years..)

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> I just followed what looked to be a brand new Lazer 5 yesterday on the

> way to the doctor/physical therapy on a 35mph road (that most people go

> 40-45mph on) in my van, It hit 32mph on slight down hill but goin up the

> opposing very slight up hill it slowed to 27-25mph

>

> I didn’t want to pass him on a double yellow but I had to because it

> t was piling up 10 of us 10 cars behind me, a car/the cars behind me

> thinking it was me going very slow because He/they couldn’t see the bike

> in front of me, were looking to try to pass me, if one would’ve passed

> my van they may have ran into the bike I was thinking,

>

> If you can’t have a motor bike that goes near 40mph on a 35mph road

> d Mph Road it’s plain dangerous nowadays.

>

> When Moped‘s were invented/popular there was half the population and

> d half the automobiles on the same single lane roads plus now all the

> drivers are distracted with phone in face so if you’re going to have a

> slow stock bike stay on a 25 mph road

i find you motorist get in my way. pass or get the hell outta my way.

kevin Smellaflange /

i think the 3 spoke design cast wheels would be life threatening.

if you hit a curb or a raised manhole cover lid in between the spokes i think it would stress out until it failed, better hope your not moving fast when it let's go. shoddy bearings etc. not worth the $

buy smart one time.

yes the ssr pitbikes are almost as good as honda and yamaha but half the price.

we ordered a lazer 5 at our shop to test it out, it wasn't great, I wouldn't buy one.

I don't think it was a real SSR machine, I think it was just a generic low end asian moped that they put their logo on and shipped to America.

Ken Roff said:` if one would’ve passed my van they may have ran into the bike I was thinking,'

And you were thinking right,Ken. Good job protecting a fellow rider. I pulled in behind a slow machine(usually small MC) on a 4-lane and followed them for miles to keep the crazy traffic from threatening them. But on a 2-lane,you gotta pass em if the road's busy.

After having the kit for over a year I finally put the 72cc on my Lazer 5. Setting timing was weird but no different from setting any 4 stroke apparently...yay YouTube! The valves were easy once I got the right size feeler gauges and I had bought a proper valve tool. Changed the carb and threw away this weird ass airbox for a performance air filter. So far sounds really great and definitely more peppy in the test run. (Prob what happens when you put Japanese parts on the China bike) Going to re-gear it soon to take advantage of the increased CC. The bikes are limited to 8k rpm. Changed the CDI...revved it once over 8k to make sure it worked and blew the cdi. Back to stock cdi lol.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Like to see that^!

A little update. Put a larger front sprocket on the front and adjusted the carb some more (a little trial and error). The lazer is purring now. Rode it about 6 miles one way yesterday and was a decent on low end but midrange and high was pretty zippy. No popping wheelies on this thing. I think there's still room for the carb to be tweaked a little more to get a better powerband [I think it's still running a little rich] on takeoff but overall pretty close I think.

A performance CDI on a stock bike can net 12-15mph if you redline it at about 11-12k rpm. It's locked to 8k right now by the stock cdi and does about 44mph. So if I decide to get another performance CDI the bike should max around 55-57mph using the 72cc kit + front sprocket change that I have. Pretty happy with it now. Cruises along @ a solid 40mph at 7k rpm with no vibration.

Ok rambled enough. peace(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

11-12k on those motors will see about a 2000000% decrease in reliability.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

1hp at 8'000rpm? What? i mean, its a 4 Stroke, but that's a little bit much for just 1hp.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Dude! that's sick! squeezing 57 out or a lazer! Great job, I love to see more tiny bikes out on the road.

> Steve Schoch Wrote:

>If I decide to get another performance CDI the bike

> should max around 55-57mph using the 72cc kit + front sprocket change

> that I have.

hmm yeah there is no way you'll spin that over 10k, even 9 is pretty hard to believe. Usually they are out of breath and not making any more power by 8k.

breaking 40 mph on one, even with the 72cc kit is very impressive. Those z motors and especially the china ones just don't make much power. Revving over 8k they don't last very long at all. The only way to get them to make power over 8k is a cam, valve springs, or a performance head.

Overpriced Parts /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> > Steve Schoch Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >If I decide to get another performance CDI the bike

>

> > should max around 55-57mph using the 72cc kit + front sprocket change

>

> > that I have.

>

> hmm yeah there is no way you'll spin that over 10k, even 9 is pretty

> hard to believe. Usually they are out of breath and not making any more

> power by 8k.

>

> breaking 40 mph on one, even with the 72cc kit is very impressive.

> Those z motors and especially the china ones just don't make much power.

> Revving over 8k they don't last very long at all. The only way to get

> them to make power over 8k is a cam, valve springs, or a performance

> head.

Why stop at 55-57mph mph! Why not go 100-150 mph !

Drive off a cliff, a 500 foot bridge or drop from a aircraft ! and you will go 100-150mph, They will still last as long as if you get them to go 55-57mph!

It gets to 8k rpm pretty fast as it is. I know it can easily go over if I want and still pull. I’m not saying I care at this point to do it. All motors blow pretty quick when you throw them way past their rev limits. I’ve seen plenty of 2 stroke mopeds with clutches blowing up and cranks snapping not to mention the usual hard/soft seizes. If I do decide to go crazy with this and it blows up it won’t be that unique..and not just because it’s china.

never had a moped win judge's choice, but I did with a lazercloneshitmobile

Damn, of course you won.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account