Installing 2" flex pipe, weld or clamp?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

My 4th gen Maxima's flex pipe is falling apart, and inspection is coming up in a few months. Plus, I'm sick of crap gas mileage and the loud droning exhaust.

I bought this replacement flex pipe as an exact replacement, and 2 U bolt clamps.

Will the clamps make a good enough seal as to not leak? I would weld it in, but I don't have a lift, and it would probably warrant the whole section of exhaust being removed to do it. And I do t feel like paging a shop $200.

Screenshot_20190424-065940_AmazonShopping.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-065957_AmazonShopping.jpg

Re: Installing 2" flex pipe, weld or clamp?

Rick Bergsma /

Just clamp it , it'll be fine.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I always weld them. My experience with them is they’re rarely an exact fit, which can result in leakage if they’re clamped. If it fits well clamp it, but more than likely i’d plan on having to weld it. It’s not a HIGH stress joint, but it does move and requires a good connection, or it can work itself loose if it’s clamped.

Often times i have to trim the ends to shorten the whole thing for a good fit, which wouldn’t allow much room for a clamp.

Check your motor mounts while you’re there. Soft or broken mounts will eat a new flex pipe in no time.

Easy check is to have the trans in park or first gear, parked on a level surface. Hood up, grab ahold of the radiator support and rock the car forward and back several times with all you’ve got while observing the motor.

You should see an inch or three of movement, but. no lifting or bumping noises. if you’re not sure how they feel from the test, have a helper move it while you eyeball each mount.

I clamp, but I'm lazy and have things I'd rather work on, and usually it's good, or at worst still good enough.

I also have most of my old cat rattling around in my muffler so I'm maybe not a good reference for what to do correctly

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I clamp, but I'm lazy and have things I'd rather work on, and usually

> it's good, or at worst still good enough.

>

> I also have most of my old cat rattling around in my muffler so I'm

> maybe not a good reference for what to do correctly

Yeah, its a beater car, so i think i'm just gonna roll the dice and clamp it.

Thanks for the input guys!

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Those crazy guys over there at TOTALFLOW. I guess they just like fucking with people all the time.

RH threads on one side of their stainless clamps and LH threads on the other side. Be careful. Don’t mix your nuts up. Lol.

95FD7701-9C21-4522-8511-23025AD25DBA.jpeg

(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

CLAMP

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account