Vintage car and motorcycle shows.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Over the summer, near where I live and surely in many other places, there are some vintage car and motorcycle shows. I plan to be sort of hopping from each one to the next with my "show bikes" (the Bikes that are actually presentable to some degree). I absolutely HATE the professionalism that is supposed to come with the whole show thing so I plan to yeet all that out the window.

When I arrive, I plan to:

A. Arrive with a chrome ford hubcap that I found on the side of the road that's in pretty darn good condition.

B.THROW the hubcap on the ground and vigorously sssssssscrape the hubcap on the concrete until it's underneath my leaky carb and just pretend like It's normal.

C. walk around and just be unreasonably un-serious, cause' what are they gonna do about it?

I'm gonna try to be polite for the most part but, I hate the stuck up stereotype around shows and stuff so I'm just gonna not do that. Just so that it's clear, that type of thing FROM ME is not rare at all. Just two days ago I went to Walmart on my metropolitan and carried carts around and put them int the cart corral things...helping the employees.

(Just to clarify, I'm not trying to be mean, but I've been to shows and stuff before without a vehicle and have never been taken seriously even when I have a legitimate question. So if I'm not gonna be taken seriously, let's go all out)

but uhh, what was I gonna say...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh yeah! what are your experiences in shows and such?(edited)

Re: Vintage car and motorcycle shows.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I had a wanker old bald guy berate me for joking to a friend about a "Scratch" On his chrome door handle. It wasn't even a scratch. It was just a little WEEEEE mark or scuff on his DOOR HANDLE... I said "Oh not, look a scratch. It ruined now". To me it was funny because the chrome on my fender looks pretty trash in some spots due to my own stupidity (too course of steel wool and a good ole scrape with a pair of vice grips by accident). I'd like to get my un intentional restoration of my Peugeot done by the next anual show in town but the custom color match to that blue that's fuel resistant is almost 140 dolla fer a 1/4 gallon. Plus finding time and getting another $200 in parts its not gonna happen. Anyway I plan to take at least my Peugeot since it looks the best and is my favorite. Shows are pretty fun. The last one I was at i got a top 5 plaque for the 1st annual classic car and motorcycle show here in Athens. Funny thing was that I wasnt even registered in the show and the guy came and chased me down. pretty Neat. Should be in a couple of months.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I can't wait to bring my Batavus and show grande to the shows. I'll make them look nice. Apply new decal to the Batavus and maybe spot paint my grande.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have ridden to shows and events, never been involved. Don't really get a kick from expo'ing things.

Way back when I went to the vintage British concours at Chateau Elan in my TR6.

When I got there everyone else was dusting and polishing and blah blah. I pulled a six pack out of my trunk and sat on the hood.

The only guys at that show I was on a similar wavelength with were the dudes from Hillbilly Thunder MC. Rode a bunch of vintage British bikes all worked over to be fast. Their build sheets were hilarious because they listed all the parts donors.

The "hardcore" restoration guys at mopeds shows are usually pretty annoying but luckily mopeds usually also attract some cool people who are down for some beers.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

can't drink, but I think I'll bring a 6 pack o' sprite.

Re: Vintage car and motorcycle shows

Overpriced Parts /

I miss all the swap meets that used to have good stuff! everything now goes on eBay or craigslist,

There is a very good vintage car show that’s been going on for years by me on Tuesday eve in the summer and sometimes it’s on the weekend too, many shows are themed like Corvette day, mopar day, tuner car day, rat rod day, bike day etc. but you still can bring any car or bike too but most bikes are just Harley Davison‘s/large bikes,

10 years ago I brought my freshly Gila kitted silver magnum MkII on bike day

889CCA59-9A57-46A7-A85B-EA6FD6156148.jpeg

I didn’t win anything because my bike was a modded moped not really a motorcycle so there was no class for it but many people looked at it and a Harley rider said he had the same bike at his house in a shed that he would sell to me, it turned out to be a magnum II not a MKII with a seized top end that I was able to purchase for a good price so in way I did win something ,

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

All that bad vibe may have just been your lazer kitty Tee-shirt.

I have never been to a vintage car or bike show where people were stand-offish, most were super down to earth and happy to answer questions, talk about their rides etc.

I can enjoy, it's not usually my thing but it's better than sittin at home and ya find good folks. I'm real into anything with a swap meet tho, quite inspiring to just see all the options or things, creates new ideas maybe. also I love cheap shit.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have never been to a vintage car or bike show where people were

> stand-offish, most were super down to earth and happy to answer

> questions, talk about their rides etc.

^ This, and I've been to a lot of them.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have never been to a vintage car or bike show where people were

>

> > stand-offish, most were super down to earth and happy to answer

>

> > questions, talk about their rides etc.

>

> ^ This, and I've been to a lot of them.

Yeah, some of the newer crowds get stand offish, people trying to make a business or show off or win or just otherwise getting to competitive. also especially in the competitive ones you got people trying to outdo each other so theres a tendency to put down other peoples ideas, vs a full resto type show where everyone generally in agreement like OK he did a great job making this all original, vs a custom show where somebody's hgot that chopper trike we were all hating on here a month ago - looking at it like "pfft, this things got no fenders, show trailer queen" and then maybe dude ut a lot of time and thought into making it that specific way, he gets pissed, same time going around fussing at other folks for leaving ugly fenders ON. it can get... well.. UGLY!

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

For the most part I enjoy vintage car & bike shows. Most people are nice. Those few that are not I simply ignore.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> The "hardcore" restoration guys at mopeds shows are usually pretty

> annoying but luckily mopeds usually also attract some cool people who

> are down for some beers.

Like Don Ohio?

> A Zed Wrote:

> > Bas Autowas Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The "hardcore" restoration guys at mopeds shows are usually pretty

>

> > annoying but luckily mopeds usually also attract some cool people who

>

> > are down for some beers.

>

> Like Don Ohio?

I bet he'd be a hoot to party with.

My town holds this show every year, and this year is our 25th anniversary. My wife is the organizer. It’s one of the biggest in the Pacific Northwest. Last year we had over 350 entries, and it is not uncommon to get 10 to 12,000 people in town for the weekend. It’s not just limited to classic cars. There’s motorcycles, trucks, different race cars, and even tractors. I entered my Vespa Bravo last year, but didn’t win anything. It’s a great time, and a lot of fun all weekend long. Most of the people are really cool, but theres always an exception.

D1F28AF6-1824-4B55-947A-472848959304.jpeg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account