Mx100 size compared to a moped

I'm picking up my first motorcycle. Its a 1980 yamaha mx100. I know its small but how small is it compared to a tomas targa?

Re: Mx100 size compared to a moped

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I own a couple DT100’s and a RT100. All use the same motor / suspension. The dt100 is just the street legal Verison of your mx100. Seat height and size wise it’s going to be very comparable to a tomos targa but it will weigh more and be considerably faster. Still a very manageable bike. But if you really have the mx100 version and not the dt100 the only place you’ll be riding is in the dirt.

The reason I'm getting it is because its cheap and I want to learn how to fix them....and this one needs it.

So maybe ill fix it up then sell it for a suzuki ke100 which, if I understand correctly is a little bigger but still 100 cc.

Or I can attempt to make it street legal and try the Vermont loophole.(edited)

Screenshot_2019-04-28-22-15-56.png

Jimmy Cincinnati /

So maybe ill fix it up then sell it for a suzuki ke100 which, if I understand correctly is a little bigger but still 100 cc.

Nope, i have one of those as well. MAYBE the seat height is a hair taller, but they really are the same class bike.

Or I can attempt to make it street legal and try the Vermont loophole.

Too much work with too much risk if street legal is your goal. Im not saying scrap the MX100 but build it only if you want a dirtbike. Otherwise you'll find yourself not only putting time / money into getting it to run but then hunting down all the stuff to make it street legal. Lights, wiring harness, battery (brackets), brake light switchs, speedometers, stator set up for lights, tires (your knobs will not due for road use), etc... all that to see if they will even license a bike that was made solely off road (the vin will reveal the model and it likely will come up as off road use only).

So again, im all about the MX100. Id fix it, looks like a nice project. Just know its limitations and street use is a distant dream for that bike.

If your really serious about street use i probably have a stator from a DT100.

I hear ya.

But for $80 I can't resist it.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

But for $80 I can't resist it.

for sure, id buy it in a heart beat. Fix it and tear up some trails. I converted my DT100 into a dirt bike and it is enough to have fun on for sure. Looks like the MX100 has a more aggressive pipe than my DT100, maybe a bigger carb too?

I don't see myself ripping trails. But ill get it running and sell it to someone who does.

man those are great bikes, depending on where you live you can probably get away with riding it around on the street for awhile

i would say go for it on the vermont title, but when you fill out the paperwork say that it is a DT100 and make sure the photos show lights and blinkers.

VT has gotten real picky about people registering dirtbikes as motorcycles, they are on the lookout, but i've still managed to get some DT's through the system.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

i've still managed to get some DT's through the system.

Thats probably because the DT line was intended to be dual purpose machines. At one point a DT had a title. When they run the vin thru the decoder it will come back as a MX model which was strictly offroad. I know in the state of ohio their vin decoder tells them the model and if it is for "highway use" or not. They even questioned me on my XR250L years back stating it was coming up as "Off Road Only." Luckily for me honda did wonky stuff with naming their bikes so it passed (The XR250L was street legal while the XR250R was not) but i would not expect the MX to make it...

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Ive got a basket case KE100 with a spare motor and bunch of NOS stuff ill trade you for the MX. Mine looks nappy tho.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ive got a basket case KE100 with a spare motor and bunch of NOS stuff

> ill trade you for the MX. Mine looks nappy tho.

Jimmy, how bad is yours? My mint KE just got stolen last week and I miss it already; I might be interested in buying yours

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Jimmy, how bad is yours? My mint KE just got stolen last week and I miss it already; I might be interested in buying yours

Mine is crusty, which is how i like my bikes. The tank is very rusty but solid, the seat is nappy but solid, etc... to be honest i wasnt planning to sell it but might for the sake of freeing up space.

Tempting, but shipping would be a pain and I'm not heading to Ohio anytime soon.

Think I could shove an a35 up in there? With some fabrication, of course. Or would the frame be too heavy?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Think I could shove an a35 up in there? With some fabrication, of course. Or would the frame be too heavy?

Changing motors wont help with the titling process, the vin will still be to an MX100. Unless your plan is to put a tomos vin on the head tube or something which i wouldnt recommend. If you did that, you would be left with a slow moped engine on what should be a faster dirtbike and dealing with weak clutchs and other moped issues.

Not to mention the DT/MX motors are good engines. Simple to work on and fairly cheap to repair.

Fair enough.

I'll attempt to get it running again it and find it a new home. Then use the money for an easier bike to title.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account