thermistors are the shit

Brad William /

Always thought I was a smart one. How did I get to 30 before discovering that the node at the far end of thin wire snaking outside the window wasn't registering temp conductively through that wire, but as a signal.. a measure of resistance feeding a microchip in the display?

I remember wondering. That long ago now. Curiosity was there. How could conductance be maintained over three feet of slim uninsulated wire snaking through and around its way to the thermometer. If I'd asked why at 12 I'd have become an EE instead of a minimum wage BA like I did.

But tonight, too late but still, curiously, curiously impressionable, I'm standing on the deck outside, where I would have been smoking, in this mood, if i smoked, when I smoked, 20 years ago, but don't, so im standing there, hands in pockets, and see the little node at the end of the thermometer wire.. and pinch it between my two fingers for ten seconds...to see if it registers. I know it's 52f. I looked earlier. I go inside. It's 72f!! Fascinating. Humble thermistor. I salute you.

Re: thermistors are the shit

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Amazing little things they are. Providing accurate data, consistently, 24/7. Intergrated circuits still blow my mind. Millions of transistors that would fit on the head of a pin.

Re: thermistors are the shit

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

~~learn young pady wan~~

thermistors and MORE

« Go to Topic — end of thread