Next bike? thinking about selling my SM

so i have a '03 ktm 525sx, 6spd converted w/110 hours since the rebuild and conversion. been SM'd since new, it's an awesome bike but i also have my '98 300exc dual sport (tagged 2stroke :D ) that i just picked up a set of SM wheels for... yeah not great on the highway like the 525 but w/e

i think im gonna sell the 525 and my '80 CB650 and pick up something else - needs to be 2 seater to please the gf. im stuck between an adventure bike (low end, im not a 50 year old riding a $20k + bmw wearing 5k in jacket, boots and pants - go ahead, tell me that's not a legit stereotype)

looking at like NC700's, africa twins, KLR650, XR650, maybe ktm 950 SMR

buttttt im also torn between the new indian FTR1200 holy fack it's awesome.

So i ask, which would you get, why, negatives of either/or ?

Re: Next bike? thinking about selling my SM

the xr650 is not a good choice i had one for awhile than sold it. its not any better than your 525sx, it might take dubs better but speed-wise it sucks over 60mph definitely not a highway bike especially riding dubs.

same with the klr it's a dog, worse than the xr650. for riding two up you want another platform not an enduro/adventure bike.

> Alex hernandez Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> the xr650 is not a good choice i had one for awhile than sold it. its

> not any better than your 525sx, it might take dubs better but speed-wise

> it sucks over 60mph definitely not a highway bike especially riding

> dubs.

>

> same with the klr it's a dog, worse than the xr650. for riding two up

> you want another platform not an enduro/adventure bike.

probably why they're so much cheaper then the rest haha

really would like a ktm 950SMR but hard to find :/

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

What is this SM’d?

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> What is this SM’d?

SuperMoto'd

Got my hopes up...……..thought he was going to sell a StreetMate. Bummer!

My sweet Rose is a 2012 KLR650 w/Happy Trail's Gear, Sgt Seat, 0 Gravity Double Bubble & TKC-80s. 5.8 Gallon Tank 45-53+Mpg 261- 307 Miles Per Tank (Best of 315) Single Piston/Single Carb (Thumper)

I bought it with the intentions of going to the Grand Canyon/Touring/Exploring Michigan/Etc

FB_IMG_1531471199965.jpg

NC700 is a pretty cool bike as long as you realize it's not a true dual sport and more of an upright sport touring bike, super comfy, plenty of smooth power, low CG thanks to the tank under the seat and forward leaning motor configuration. Plenty of aftermarket stuff out there now too.

Africa twins are really cool, but a heavy beast off road and if you plan on doing a lot pavement will leave you wanting something more suited for it. Also still overpriced in my opinion, I was working at motorcyle dealer a few years ago and almost bought one but opt to keep my KLR650 and bought a second bike for street and dubs use.

Any single with 2 people is generally under powered feeling but will usually be able to pull it, just might have to rev it out a bit more and not expect rocket ship (or even motorcycle) like acceleration.

My wife wanted a bike to go riding with me again since she sold her bike a few years ago. What I decided on was a dealer left over 2014 Honda CB1100. I bought it last winter for just 5700 out the door. I have added a Yoshimura pipe, TSA Air Filter Intake, TSA Throttle Body Intakes. These mods net me @ 20hp over stock. Then added a few cosmetic items. I have not installed these yet in the picture. LOVE this bike for 2 up in town riding and short day trips.

P1010010.JPG

^ Beautiful, last of the "UJM" with modern brakes etc.

The FTR is heavy as sin for what it is, that's about the only input I have on it.

Chris, got any pics of your sumo? I've been interested in buying one for a while and it seems like we're relatively close to each other

> Mark Booth Wrote:

> My wife wanted a bike to go riding with me again since she sold her bike

> a few years ago. What I decided on was a dealer left over 2014 Honda

> CB1100. I bought it last winter for just 5700 out the door. I have

> added a Yoshimura pipe, TSA Air Filter Intake, TSA Throttle Body

> Intakes. These mods net me @ 20hp over stock. Then added a few

> cosmetic items. I have not installed these yet in the picture. LOVE

> this bike for 2 up in town riding and short day trips.

> >

wow that actually looks really great! might toss this into the list...

had a fz06 last summer (just as a flip bike, bought $1k, leaky gas tank - water getting in, new seal, sold for $2500) but it was an awesome bike! makes me want an MT09 // fz09 essentially

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> Chris, got any pics of your sumo? I've been interested in buying one for

> a while and it seems like we're relatively close to each other

yeah man! im on my work computer right now but here's a google pic from IG,

https://images.app.goo.gl/PSpSYjzh7yfe88xB8

there's a few pics on my instagram and fb, Sh00bs // chris szuba. 112 hours on it now, decomp lever is needed to start - once you get the process it's not bad but that's the only drawback of the bike, kick only. they say you can add a e start from a exc model but then you need a battery too, starter, different engine flywheel cover..etc

> Vova Fett Wrote:

> The FTR is heavy as sin for what it is, that's about the only input I

> have on it.

true, so i did get to sit on one this past saturday. it's pretty sweet, not gonna lie. i LOVE the look and size of it, nice and tight/small. not a huge fan of massive bikes

agreed she was a little heavy but being on the low side it wasnt too bad leaning, granted i was balancing on a show room floor instead of actually riding.

cant wait to test ride a demo then wait for a used model to with under 2k miles to pop up for sale for hopefully 11k or under

just not a fan of that 14k base model price tag

> Jim Jones Wrote:

> My sweet Rose is a 2012 KLR650 w/Happy Trail's Gear, Sgt Seat, 0 Gravity

> Double Bubble & TKC-80s. 5.8 Gallon Tank 45-53+Mpg 261- 307 Miles Per

> Tank (Best of 315) Single Piston/Single Carb (Thumper)

>

> I bought it with the intentions of going to the Grand

> Canyon/Touring/Exploring Michigan/Etc

does this have a lower seat or shocks on it? maybe it's just the accessories but it looks lower then most klr650's

Chris Szuba... the Honda CB1100 is an amazing bike but you need to know it is not an exciting bike. What it is though is a great all around bike. It is super smooth. The controls are exceptionally easy and smooth. It is basically the perfect bike for everyday use. But on the flip side it is quiet in stock for. Even with the pipe I installed it is still mild mannered with just a slight growl from it. There is no exciting exhaust note... no exciting excelleration... the ride is just a smooth run down the road. Thus I bought the TSR parts to open up the intake... then have the CPU adjusted to handle the changes to get a little more oomph from it, 20 HP I am told.

So think about it. It is an amazing bike and I love it. Love the looks too!

Those CB1100's are great bikes, perfect example of a "motorcycle". They look great, are fun to ride and come very well equipped for the price. I was really considering one of those but opted for a 2015 R9T (mostly because I found one for a screaming deal).

If your looking for a hardcore street bike that can double as a occasional adventure bike...that ftr1200 is your ticket. I'd change the tires to accommodate gravel/dirt better but that's about it. The FTR is heavier but it's freaking 120hp not to mention the torque it pulls. There's definitely some beef in there. I'd have one but I have a 2017 Scout. Based on same engine just not as cool lol

Lower Sargent Seat, 1" Lowering Link & a Center Stand -My Street Set Up.

I can drop the center stand & swap the I links in 20 minutes (I just like to be Flat Footed.)

welp, my OG desired bike popped up for sale. a 06-07 ktm 950 SMR, see here

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/woodbridge-2007-ktm-950-supermoto/6899461661.html

i'd LOVE an FTR1200 but that price tag....errrgggg, i think im going to try to let go of my SM, cb650, a safari moped and maybe stretch a little bit to try to reel this thing in asap. with that said if anyone wants a 03 ktm 525sx 6spd that JUST had the valves adjusted with 1 hour of ride time on em (111 hours on rebuild/6spd conversion total), HMU !!! asking $4500, price negotiable lol

pffff, I'd keep the LC4 over getting a pig xr or klr

I've been eyeing Triumph street triples lately. can't do any adv-ing on it though

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> pffff, I'd keep the LC4 over getting a pig xr or klr

>

> I've been eyeing Triumph street triples lately. can't do any adv-ing on

> it though

no LC4 here, i would probably keep it if i had one. RFS engine, single piston 525cc sx (high comp) kicker only - which, the kicker part is the only downside,,, sigh and i guess the gf not liking riding on the back too

have you looked at the Vstroms? for my money those things are just about the best all 'rounder you can get.

Big enough to be comfy, small enough to be fun, great torque, good enough handling and suspension.

If i was into buying a real adventure bike i'd take out a loan on a used KTM1290 and never look back, but i'm not really a car-loan-having kinda guy.

That new twin cylinder KTM looks really good too, but once again more expensive than comparable options.

Having ridden all of them in track/competitive evaluations (for my old job) the KTM crushes the ADV segment by a freakin mile. GS is probably every bit as good from a technical/fit/finish perspective and they were more reliable in our test fleet, (KTM and Ducati Multi broke down a LOT) but they are just so goddamn boring.

The only africa twin i got to ride was the automatic one... eh... hard to compare. I could see it being handy for some stuff but i just like shifting way too much. I don't even like automatic cars. Ride and suspension was GREAT

well she sold over the weekend for $4300...

shopping around a bit, the ktm 950smr sold :/

Dirty30 Dillon /

Get a Ciao

I'm cheap as fuck and really pretty dedicated to enjoying whatever. I've got an old 81 XJ550 seca that I ride all the time, and that thing's probably seen more offroad than alotta the KLRs and DRZ's out there. not that it's good at it, but it's still silly and fun to beat the shit outta whatever you got. Like, you don't need a Tonka to play trucks in a sandbox, you can still have alotta fun if you're willing to pretend a Barbie is a truck.

I dunno, I guess I can't really get outta this moped mentality where what I consider underpowered is WAYYYYY below what other people consider underpowered. Like the KLR you can totally go highway speeds, I mean you're not going 100 for 10 hours straight, but you can cross country a DR350 and probably have a really fun time doing it. I mean LGN max just rode 2000 miles on a WR250 and my wife's run over 1000mi trips on a ninja 250.

I guess it depends who you are and what you're going for. Personally I'd take about anything, which means I'd be more than glad to keep what you're already selling. I'm not much help here.

I do love the Africa twins, but holy $$$$. Vstrom seem like a sweet deal tho. I look at them sometimes. I often consider selling my seca and my dirtbike and getting one thing that'd kinda do both. or getting a maxi scooter. But then inevitably come to the realization that it's not worth it. maybe the right deal will come someday

gotta mini bug again... kymco Spade 150 is a thorn in my side. can find em used with sub 1k miles for 1500 - 2500 $

not a bad price, and they are getting more and more popular with aftermarket support. currently have a pipe, tuner, fender delete, front fairing... etc

welp.

over the weekend i picked up the new bike.... a 1984 Yamaha RZ 350

if you know about these ;D

if you dont, do a goog's search real quick. 2 seats to please the misses, 2stroke kick start only to please me w/banshee power potential :D

it's yellow... i'll upload a pic today.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account