FC Cincinnati

Our technical director just signed with FC Cincinnati, so expect to see a lot of players arriving from Mino Raiola soon.

Nijkamp Ready To "Create Something Special" As GM

If FC Cincinnati were a club built to represent the city’s soccer renaissance, hiring Gerard Nijkamp serves as the first steps in the team’s on-field revolution.

Nijkamp will be Cincinnati’s new general manager and arrives having been the PEC Zwolle technical director since 2012. While there, he transformed a modest Eredivisie club into an eventual Dutch national champion in 2015. He developed a club philosophy – an identity – and implemented it successfully. The plan is for him to do the same with the Orange and Blue.

“Thank you for having me here,” Nijkamp said in his opening remarks as general manager. “I’m very happy and proud to be part of the FC Cincinnati family. I would like to thank Mr. Carl Lindner III and Jeff (Berding) for giving me this opportunity.

“I will put all my knowledge, experience and skills into building a successful club for this wonderful city. I’m looking forward to working together with our staff here at FC Cincinnati to create something special for the fans here in Cincinnati.”

Nijkamp is Dutch and arrived from The Netherlands late Wednesday night. Thursday morning, he visited the club’s downtown headquarters to meet the front office employees. Next he ventured to the Mercy Health Training Center in Milford to meet with the coaching and technical staff, in addition to the players.

“It was a very warm welcome,” he said with a smile. “I give you all my effort to this club to get this club to the next level.”

With the Dutchman assuming the club’s general manager responsibilities, Berding – who’s been FCC’s president and general manager since the club launched Aug. 12, 2015 – will now hold the role of president exclusively.

That’s the first major personnel alteration at the club. The second is the structure underneath Berding on the soccer side.

Whereas Berding previously referred to himself (as the GM), the head coach and Technical Director Luke Sassano as a “three-legged stool,” that’s changed. Moving forward, Nijkamp will oversee Sassano, the future head coach, Director of Sports Performance Gary Walker and Director of Player Development Larry Sunderland. Nijkamp will help hire FC Cincinnati’s future head coach.

As general manager, Nijkamp will oversee roster management, scouting, the youth academy and the sports performance and medical staffs.

“In the way I used to work with my former club, PEC Zwolle, at the end of the day, we know who is making the decisions. We know who is responsible and we don’t have to explain that,” he said. “But it’s about how to work together, to build together, so at the end of the day, we have something to be very proud of.”

Nijkamp will remain in Cincinnati through Sunday before returning to The Netherlands. Because PEC Zwolle filled his previous position and a new head coaching role, he’s assisting in the transition before complete focus on FC Cincinnati and the club’s inaugural season in MLS. He noted that he expected to be in Cincinnati full-time no later than August 1.

“We feel good about where we are,” Berding said. “We feel great about our future and we know we have the right person in Gerard Nijkamp leading the way on the soccer side.”

Sidenote, PEC Zwolle has never been national champion, we won the Dutch cup once and that was in 2014, not 2015.

Re: FC Cincinnati

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Yeah for Cincinnati Tax Payers! These sports teams and their stadiums have done wonders for this city...

https://www.businessinsider.com/worst-stadium-deal-cincinnati-2011-7

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/05/21/fc-cincinnati-stadium-gets-33-9-m-city-taxpayers-pay-more/619883002/

For what its worth Bas, i would let you keep your Technical Director if i could, but somehow people know how to waste all our tax dollars... yes i know he is not a government employee... im still annoyed by the stadium sucking my tax dollars while ignoring other glaring issues.

As a Columbus Crew fan it saddens me to see Cincinnati make any promising moves

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah for Cincinnati Tax Payers! These sports teams and their stadiums

> have done wonders for this city...

>

>

>

> For what its worth Bas, i would let you keep your Technical Director if

> i could, but somehow people know how to waste all our tax dollars... yes

> i know he is not a government employee... im still annoyed by the

> stadium sucking my tax dollars while ignoring other glaring issues.

If anything you should be immensely glad you got our technical director. When FC Cincinnati starts performing better it will attract bigger crowds, make more money and make shure that the stadium isn't a bust like that American football stadium.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

We historically lose more money than we ever sink into sports teams. I don’t care if there is a Cincinnati soccer team I just wish these people paid for their own stadiums. It was estimated we would have over 45 million in the stadium of which will be privately owned when it’s all said and done.

Sports also bring joy to people, which costs money. I'd rather have governments spend money on sports than on a whole lot of other things.

Obviously it would've made a lot more sense to have built 1 multiple purpose stadium, but from what i've read your American football team is at fault there.

11 years ago my team got a new stadium and there was a lot of protest because my town had to pay around 10 million for it. Since then we promoted to the top flight, won the cup and the Johan Cruijff trophy. The number of supporters has gone up 3 or 4 times, our small town now has nationwide recognition and small businesses in the town make a whole lot of money on matchdays.

You hardly ever hear anyone about the costs of the stadium anymore.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Sports also bring joy to people, which costs money. I'd rather have

> governments spend money on sports than on a whole lot of other things.

>

> Obviously it would've made a lot more sense to have built 1 multiple

> purpose stadium, but from what i've read your American football team is

> at fault there.

>

> 11 years ago my team got a new stadium and there was a lot of protest

> because my town had to pay around 10 million for it. Since then we

> promoted to the top flight, won the cup and the Johan Cruijff trophy.

> The number of supporters has gone up 3 or 4 times, our small town now

> has nationwide recognition and small businesses in the town make a whole

> lot of money on matchdays.

>

> You hardly ever hear anyone about the costs of the stadium anymore.

Soccer's got em mesmerized over there, Rock-Thrower. Jimmy has it dead on. Never make it with the Columbus team here, since soccer considered here as a sissy man's sport anyway.(edited)

Whenever Dumdum disagrees with me i know i'm right.

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> As a Columbus Crew fan it saddens me to see Cincinnati make any

> promising moves

Just passed their stadium today.

37B8C750-D56B-4595-B8A9-BB5A9C6E7E64.jpeg

> jayson sumpter Wrote:

> > Nick Haber Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > As a Columbus Crew fan it saddens me to see Cincinnati make any

>

> > promising moves

>

> Just passed their stadium today.

Nice, they're building a new one right now since the current one is in a weird place and is kinda small

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Sports also bring joy to people, which costs money. I'd rather have governments spend money on sports than on a whole lot of other things.

Id rather the government not make crappy deals and waste our tax payer dollars. If they can invest it into something like our infrastructure than they should just give it back.

Obviously it would've made a lot more sense to have built 1 multiple purpose stadium

I agree - but it would have made even more sense if they just let the fans pay for it.

since soccer considered here as a sissy man's sport anyway.

I really dont care what you do with your balls... kick them, toss them, whack them with a bat, or catch them in a mitt. Sports are fine they are just not my cup of tea. I take no issue with any sport that people enjoy so long as they dont forcefully take from my pocket to further their fun. All we ever seem to do here in Cincinnati is fund some rich dudes property while not receiving any return on our investment.

If soccer fans want to watch soccer than let them pay for it. If there is enough demand they can make teams and build their own stadiums! And i would say the same thing about football or baseball teams.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

that's okay there's people dying in the streets from heroin there's no affordable housing plenty of homeless but you know what they'll spend Millions on fireworks and hack my city has a Christmas star that's always lit if you think of the waste of money it is just like burning your money

Cincinatti is a shit hole, Ohio in general has nothing to offer the rest of the country except for a 14th century outlook on society.

Cincinnati sure doesn't need to waste more taxpayer money on bailing out so-called sports teams.

The Bengals haven't been so great, let alone a sure to fail soccer team.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Cincinatti is a shit hole, Ohio in general has nothing to offer the rest

> of the country except for a 14th century outlook on society.

Have you ever been to Columbus? Cleveland isn't that bad either. Rest of Ohio is generic midwest though. I've lived in Denver and Baltimore, but I still think Columbus is my favorite city to live in.

Overpriced Parts /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Cincinatti is a shit hole, Ohio in general has nothing to offer the rest

> of the country except for a 14th century outlook on society.

So how much of the the 44,824 sq mi of Ohio did you visit?

And how many people did you interview ?

Did you go to NASA Glenn research center in Cleveland ? I don’t think they have a 14th century outlook on society

Guess you never got anywhere near where I live! Paradise for cheap, pretty much the best weather in the state (kinda a micro climate) other than three months of cold weather it would be like between LA and San Fran California weather, Diverse and progressive population,

I couldn't even rent a room in LA or San Fran California for what I get a whole house and all this for

705F289E-9EC0-4C32-92EB-5AE9E85FA863.jpeg
1976780E-F442-4080-BBFE-8F4DE38E4FB6.jpeg
47C9DF87-EF29-4DB7-B94A-09B2A91F9E27.jpeg

I worked in every county in OH plus did out of state work all the way to Kansas city on the Kansas side plus drove a truck for a while

So I got 35 years and hundreds of cities, towns, people experience personally from work alone not to mention trips, vacations in many states, city’s and towns, not from the Internet or a phone in my face,

What do you got? or know? I can tell ya,

You got and know the Internet, ya maybe you went to one bad part of Cincinnati and had a bad experience but I did work in that town and went to Kings Island there four times and never had a problem!

Ya there’s problems with every big city in every state including where are you live and sometimes you got a drive through a seedy area of a town/city

We had friends and relatives in Pasadena ca and when the wife and I got married we’re going to go there and make a go of it out there as union carpenter Floor layer

But raising a family of five in a house (on 65 grand wage there now) and then when retiring It would be hard to afford more then a tent on the side of the road nowadays,

So glad we chose to stay in west oh burbs then move out here 27 years ago when kids were little and there was only 900 homes as well as two theme parks (now closed though:( ,

There is thousands more homes in the area but not here in protected area so it should will stay the same for generations to come,

So many people and places in suburbs of Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Youngstown, Dayton, are very good like Lakewood oh and Kent Ohio (where my daughter lives) which are progressive and nice,

There’s even a section of Cleveland called the Gold Coast that has huge mansions in it on the lake pretty much near where I lived growing up,

Nowhere that I lived in OH all my life including Cleveland did we have to lock the car (if in the drive) or lock house doors and never got burglarized/robbed,

We do lock up cars and house and have alarms most times too but more than once I left a moped or two in the driveway all night long or my wife left purse in a unlocked mini van all night long and they were still there.

I even forgot and left my magnum XK idling for about an hour and a half in driveway one evening when I went in to grab something but dinner was being served early so I ate it and fell asleep in the easy chair it was still there idling away,

Yeah Ohio is such a 14th century shit hole !

Ken used all the words.

I know you like it up there Ken,but in So. Ohio we have more moped friendly sparse traffic roads and our area is shielded by the hills and trees from bad storms.

I'll take this area over any other area in Ohio I've seen for mopeding and good weather.

Cincinnati is actually pretty rad. my brother just moved there. it's a fun town, it's older and hasa real city feel. moreso than Cleveland and Columbus, it's got a good central usable downtown. I actually really like Cincinnati as a city. Columbus is definitely pretty great too, columbus is probably best from a progressive and goring standpoint, there's actually people in Columbus who aren't originally from Columbus - if that makes sense. Cleveland is like entirely people from Cleveland. people don't move to here, they just don't move away. folks in Cleveland love Cleveland, not many other folksdo. that said, the lake's awesome, theres tons of good shit, amazing parks and some of the best museums and cultural institutions anywhere (Cleveland orchestra #1 in the world!)

To the original post, I think soccer's pretty fun, The first time Atlanta sold out the new stadium was fr ATL United. Still I'm with Johnny on this. I hated being in school and paying these add-on tuition bonus fees, because "times were tough" or whatever, and at the same time theyre building an indoor training facility fo the football team that cost a few million, and only served like 30 students?

But there's an argument that's valid that it earns a sort of legitimacy, that a lot of people care about sports, and it brings in money in ways other than the direct revenue of the events themselves. for GA Tech, a lotta students, and rankings, advertising, recognition etc also come from having a successful set of sports franchises. For the city of Cincinnati to grow, people need to consider it, and think about whether its' a valid place for their businesses, or to move to, or even just get over the incorrect misconception that "Cincinatti *sic is a shit hole, Ohio in general has nothing to offer the rest of the country except for a 14th century outlook on society." and somehow, for alotta people, sports teams give that recognition and a mark on their resume, as it were

« Go to Topic — end of thread