custom motorcycle legality theory....

so let's imagine a wizard comes tonight and turns your moped into a REAL MOTORCYCLE! just like pinocchio! cool! except now, you need documentation, even in GA.d

lets say the wizard was nice enough to magic you up a title, and the title has a number on it, that matches a number on your engine, your transmission, and your frame. that's 3 vin numbers that match, registration should be a breeze.

now let's just say this wizard, forgot to put oil in the magic bike, and you were so distracted by all the magic, that you kept blasting till the motor evaporated. so you get a new motor and put it in the bike. lets say the new motor comes with a matching trans. your title and insurance and stuff already exists. the number on the frame matches it.

here's where the theory starts. let's just say a cop pulls you over. i feel lie they rarely check the actual vin numbers, but if they did, they might notice they don't match. i could see this being a problem if you were trying to register a bike like that, but if you already had it's paperwork, it should be ok, right?

ok same story, but instead of blowing the motor, let's say the motor is still good and i "make" a cool custom frame. let's say the frame has no vin number. when the cops see it they're gonna be like "where's the vin!?" and i inform them that it's a custom frame, and they should check the motor/trans. that's cool, right? what if i put the motor in 1 bike, the trans in another, and rebuild the original frame with new parts. so like, theoretically, they're all 1 bike. 1 tag, 1 insurance policy, only ride 1 at a time, it's just very, very custom...it's a complicated story of how i arrived at this disposition. basically, i shouldda stuck to mopads....

Re: custom motorcycle legality theory....

Josiah Radebaugh /

Buy a vin plate... Register the imaginary bike that belongs to it.... And slap it on what ever bike you please as long as it's the same manufacturer...

Overpriced Parts /

When you figure it out let me know what you did cause I can use the info too

When I was building motorized bikes, the local Costa Mesa, CA cops would check my vin to make sure I wasn't just switching plates. (And the vin I used was the bicycle serial numbers on the frame.)

So, yeah, cops do check sometimes.

But people build custom motorcycles all the time with engine swaps, so there's probably some stupid form to fill out to be legit.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

In Pennsylvania the way they do it is when you have a bike that you have modified heavily and it has no title status you apply for a title with an advanced vehicle inspection you pay $150 I mechanic goes over it documents everything about it and then you get a form you could send in and get a title so hypothetically mind you not not that I'm trying to instigator conspiracy say you have some friends in the Mohawk Nation and they have that border crossing there and you purchase some mopeds in Canada that you can't get in the United States and then you need them titled or even a Shifty 50 whatever you could then run it through Pennsylvania and pay that extra money for the enhanced inspection and as long as it passes it you can get a title with it

kevin smellaflange /

Pay/Pay& pay some more

keeping mopeds cheap is the name of the game...

no title...no inspection sticker....no insurance....A really great lock-up system.....tru-fuel...don't go too fast past cops.....stay under 35mph in sketchy areas....

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

paranoia grips the outlaw moped community , wow

lets say its not suppose to have a motor. do i tell them im just taking the motor to a shop? its bolted on for safety , sir.

(while distracting them by adjusting added bling)

never crossed my mind , hmm.

are the days of a shotgun shell in handlebars over?

Josiah Radebaugh /

I've love riding dirty right in front o' de fuzzz. In memorial day weekend I was riding a performance bike capable of 50 on a good day. Rode it with the wrong plates at no faster than 30... Rode it like stock while sounding pretty rippy. If you're sensible you'll get by....

L. O. L.

I say get a blank vin, stamp to match the engine, one tag, two bikes.

Damn, this site looks nice and sketchy.... http://www.2040-parts.com/data-plate-id-tag-harley-evo-twin-cam-softail-fx-dyna-sportster-bobber-big-twin-i103145/

Definitely OK for the frame and engine not to match, tell em outright, I swappered the motor. either theyre gonna cool, or theyre gonna be dicks and you're fucked - but if they were gonna be dicks you were fucked anyway. That's the shit with cops. they're either gonna fuck you or they aren't. you gotta do the basics like registration and stuff to keep em off yer bak but by the time it comes to being pulled over it's just a roll of the dice and whatever prejudice theyre feeling about you already.

Custom frames you an get a custom frame registered as a custom frame but usually gotta have a shop inspect it, which means it's gotta have all good blinkers and lights etc. kinda like getting a salvage title cleared, similar inspection that says it's road ready. Way easier though is just swapping a vin plate and relying on the fact that probably it's good enough.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

there is a technicality though because mopeds do not require a mechanic's license or an annual inspection since you do all the work yourself technically you do not have to be an inspection mechanic to do work on your own vehicle so it's all legal until you go to sell it at which point you have to declare the modifications and document it on the title. By amending it and documenting say a frame swap or a VIN modification or an upgrade to an m class at which point when it is an m class it requires an inspection and basically becomes a motorcycle where are your Shifty 50s come in

I've never seen any fuss regarding matching Vin on frame and engine. Never seen a Vin on a bikes engine anyway. The title is matched to the frame, and if it's legally registered as a motorcycle then the engine or the amount of power it produces is a non point. Mopeds would run into issues because they have specific limits on output and maximum speed.

Funny, I got pulled over once doing 10 over and the officer was just impressed that I was maintaining over 50. Pulled me for a tail light bulb, gave me a warning. We talked about moped clubs, rallies, etc. But, when the topic of modifications and max speed came up he said that because I had a MC endorsement on my license that it was ok. Completely false but like hell was I about to argue.

I'll never forget him saying "man that thing can really boogaloo".

Notice OP is asking about a "real" motorcycle, not a moped. Like it's got many many CC's and valves and a many speed transmission and was, at least partially, made in 'murika.

Them Milwaukee marketing fuckers did what the alchemists never could.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Heh, I'm always afraid if getting pulled over for doing 12 over stock! Also the bike isn't regiterd that has plates from another bike. And I lost my wallet so I don't currently have an ID.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The one time I was going down this really long hill it's about a 9% grade and I was on my Tomas and the speed trap sign said 75 and the cop gave me the touchdown symbol and the wave off and he jumped up and down and gave me a thumbs up

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Notice OP is asking about a "real" motorcycle, not a moped. Like it's

> got many many CC's and valves and a many speed transmission and was, at

> least partially, made in 'murika.

>

> Them Milwaukee marketing fuckers did what the alchemists never could.

And notice I started the post recognizing a "real" legal motorcycle and then moving into things that might have issues, where this is more of a non issue. My anecdote is to illustrate how little some people really know about what the laws say.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account