still trying to sell the motorcycle I rebuilt....

it's a pristine 1979 xs650

and no one is emailing me at all. not even a low ball offer

strangly, my buddy very recently got rid of his total piece of shit Xs650 in about three days.

the clutch was fucked. the paint was fucked. the bike was fucked. the tank was fucked.

I have been rebuilding mine for years, and people haven't even reached out.

my craigslist ad

so ..... is it too common of a model? too much?

roast my ad. i need some inspiration.

Re: still trying to sell the motorcycle I rebuilt....

If it was the 1972 style you would have had more interest. Was your buddies bike the on that had the flat seat? If so they are sought after not the Special.

his was an 80 and it had a gross 1980s everything and his seat was all taped up.

I am feeling I need to get a flat seat , change the bars and make it more hipster ish.

that's what I get for making it period correct to a period no one likes

WAY too expensive, would not pay more than 1k for that, no matter what you have done to it, for what you are asking you can buy a much more modern machine.

yeah. people (including me) want it all for less.

blue book is 3700.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> WAY too expensive, would not pay more than 1k for that, no matter what

> you have done to it, for what you are asking you can buy a much more

> modern machine.

i'd definitely agree with this statement if this were 1999.

sometimes being old (like i am) can definitely make me forget that it's 2019, and with that comes 2019 pricing.

that said, it's a question of supply and demand. seems the later yammy 650 twins don't fetch as much as the earlies.

perhaps try to get your price just below the $3k mark as opposed to right above? my suggestion would be to list that thing at $2999 if you're not getting any bites.

also, perhaps consider nixing the links, and instead telling ad readers you have more pics and/or videos. posting links on CL violates the terms of use, and may get your ad flagged.(edited)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I think it’s a nice bike but price is just too high. I would think it’s more a $2k bike and you need to find buyers that like that style. Your average Craigslist is looking at Gixxers for that price range. If it was more beater you would be hard pressed to get $1200-1500 range for it.

Your not getting low balls because even cutting the price in half is more than what a low baller wants to pay

Seems the 650 is such a common bike for people to try to turn into something and most of the time nobody wants it. Yours is a nice clean bike but there really just are newer bikes that have better equipment/power/reliability than one of these. You are oging to be looking for the person who really wants an xs650, not a person with 3 grand that wants a bike. I could have gotten a DL1000 with full touring setup for $1200 a week ago if I was willing to accept the higher mileage of the bike.

Seems like a bike you hold onto it until you find the right buyer.

The first few pics have it parked over what appears to be an oil stain.

hmmm - def not an oil stain, but maybe i'll take some newer pics when it isn't june gloom

Angry Hipster /

I wonder what to target demographic would be to buy this bike. It seems that the collectors/enthusiast people who wouldn't want to spend the money on this bike are the ones scouring Craigslist, as they are generally trying to pay way less than anything is worth.

Which leaves people who are looking for an entry level machine but they seem to be attracted to the grom and sports bikes and they like to shop at the dealer.

I am just wondering who would be likely to buy the bike and what would it take to reach them and get them to buy it.

OG Crazy Wayne /

I've had things on Craigslist at a fair price had no takers friend of mine told me to bump the price up a couple hundred bucks and boom made a hundred bucks more than my original price and the guy was happy something about the mindset they think if you have it at a higher price it has a higher quality that are there just spending their trust fund and want their friends to think that they had the money to buy something super cool inexpensive like a $5,000 Tomos

I have know since I got it that it screams 1970s.

i just cant bring myself to make it a cafe racer so some fucking malefashionadvice bro can feel good a out driving around silver lake with bright yellow gloves on.

p.s. i am a different silver lake doosh.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I've had things on Craigslist at a fair price had no takers friend of mine told me to bump the price up a couple hundred bucks

Bumping the price on this bike will not have the effect you want. Its just overpriced. I would list for $2K.

Thomas has it right. This bike is old but no super collectable so thus leaving it to buyers who are looking for something to learn on but not wanting to spend $3k on a 45 year old bike.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've had things on Craigslist at a fair price had no takers friend of

> mine told me to bump the price up a couple hundred bucks

>

> Bumping the price on this bike will not have the effect you want. Its

> just overpriced. I would list for $2K.

>

> Thomas has it right. This bike is old but no super collectable so thus

> leaving it to buyers who are looking for something to learn on but not

> wanting to spend $3k on a 45 year old bike.

i would agree if I were in Cincinnati, but like i said before - my friend sold his completely ridden into the ground, POS, 1980 xs650 special for 2k.

I actually have two people coming this week, so fingers crossed I sell it so I can go buy another moped to sink money into.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account