Rebel 250 talkin'

So I recently exploded the motor on my samurai and snagged a tracker for the engine. I had a fella locally scrap the empty tracker frame and when he saw my bikes offered up a rebel he'd had on the lot. $250.

So far I've got about another 250 into tires cables carb parts battery brakes etc.

The tank's still pretty rusted but I think some electrolysis is gonna be a likely saver.

Fuck ugly little shit. and TINY. but now it does run pretty well and it's kinda fun for it's miniature dimensions.

So here's where I need help:

I don't need the thing, I've got 2 other motorcycles between my wife and I and she's sortof unable to ride at the moment. Do I just fix it and sell figuring it's probably worth a grand or so? or ride it around and make it dumb because that's what's fun in life and it was cheap.

Anyone seen any rebel's they like? It seems far too obvious and pretty painfullt unexciting to give it some bobber solo seat rear chop bullshit. but I think it'd be fun to tweak some shit and make it more playful

Re: Rebel 250 talkin'

Overpriced Parts /

I would just look for a cheap HD sportster with the newer evo type engine, I seen a few in the 1,000-2,000 range in our area

Fix it up and sell it to a new rider for a good deal,they are excellent bikes to learn on, but get "slow" pretty quick. Build some Karma. :)

In high school when I worked at a MC shop in Cleveland we would get a fair number of new riders bringing in their Rebel 250's that they got off craigslist for a once over. People would pay $700-800 for bikes that needed chain, sprockets, cables, etc. so depending on how bad yours looks I would expect to get $1200 or so. Might as well make the $700 now before you get too attached to it

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> In high school when I worked at a MC shop in Cleveland we would get a

> fair number of new riders bringing in their Rebel 250's that they got

> off craigslist for a once over. People would pay $700-800 for bikes that

> needed chain, sprockets, cables, etc. so depending on how bad yours

> looks I would expect to get $1200 or so. Might as well make the $700 now

> before you get too attached to it

Yep, pretty slow for 250cc

Sink minimum $ into it and ride it around with FOR SALE on it until someone who really wants it offers anything better than 750$

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Anyone seen any rebel's they like?

I have a nighthawk 250 that is basically the same bike with different styling. I really like my bike. I geared it to where it holds 60-65mph decently. Its great if you want a cheap bike that requires little attention and gets great gas mileage.

It seems far too obvious and pretty painfullt unexciting to give it some bobber solo seat rear chop bullshit. but I think it'd be fun to tweak some shit and make it more playful

Please dont bobber, thats so played out and i just think it looks tacky. I would recommend you just sell it before you chop it up. Seems like craigslist is flooded with bobber projects. I think people like starting bobber projects more than they actually like finishing them or riding them for that matter. Its strikes me as odd most are on CL as "tons of new parts, only rode for 20 miles."

my wife's got a ninja 250 so I got the efficient and reliable covered. it's like the Honda civic of motorcycles. uninteresting but very capable. it also spanks the pants off the rebel, it's surprisingly powerful.

I definitely wouldn't do the usual bobbering. that was sortof my point, that I don't want to do that. I just keep thinking it'd be funner with a narrower taller tank that dowsnt spread my knees, or some BMX bars, or taller rear shocks or building some 2 into 1 pipes with a car muffler welded on or a showerhead for an exhaust tip. funny.

I think you've set me straight on it tho, fix it and flip it. Rebel really nailed it.

also holy shit is it tiny. like i'm eating my knees and the tank is like right at shin level.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

my wife's got a ninja 250 so I got the efficient and reliable covered. it's like the Honda civic of motorcycles. uninteresting but very capable. it also spanks the pants off the rebel, it's surprisingly powerful.

I have alot of respect for those little ninjas. They truly beat the pants off my Honda Nighthawk. Im sure alot of it has to do with the 2 carbs compared to hondas single carb.

But seriously speaking, with as basic as the nighthawk 250 (and rebel) is wouldnt it be cool to ride a couple of those across the country with buddies? Ive debated turning mine into a semi-enduro. Bash gaurds, enduro style tires, maybe a bit better rear shock, some ammo cans for gear, etc... I could handle my nighthawk on some mild trails.

Right? Now you're seeing my dilemma - I've got no real attachment to it but it's definitely fun and an easy platform to make into whatever at really pretty low cost, except htat if I had an endure rebel I'd never be able to sell it because my dumb/funny doesn't translate to value for anyone else but me

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Right? Now you're seeing my dilemma - I've got no real attachment to it

> but it's definitely fun and an easy platform to make into whatever at

> really pretty low cost, except htat if I had an endure rebel I'd never

> be able to sell it because my dumb/funny doesn't translate to value for

> anyone else but me

Yeah I think if I had a rebel I was gonna keep I would build it into an enduro and love it but I would never buy one already done.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The difference between us is that I want to keep mine and you would sell it first chance you got. The best thing you can do is just fix it up enough to sell it. Your right in thinking that any mod you do will likely hurt resale value and make it harder to sell. Mods never equate to much if any profit.

But, if you decide you cant live without it post of pics of what your doing. You seem crafty, throw a dual set of carbs on it!

I think i'm more trying to convert it to something I want to keep. but I don't need more stuff so I shouldn't keep it. that's pretty sound justification to ditch it right there.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I think i'm more trying to convert it to something I want to keep. but I don't need more stuff so I shouldn't keep it. that's pretty sound justification to ditch it right there.

i walked away from a Suzuki RV90 and TS50 recently for the same reason. Too many bikes.

I'm getting more into having fewer things that I like more- I encourage you to do the same.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I'm getting more into having fewer things that I like more- I encourage you to do the same.

The older i get the fewer bikes I want to own. I like a variaty, but lately ive been walking away from bikes that in the past i would have snagged up. I think im gonna focus more on my small yamaha's mostly.

If I have less things than I start taking my desires out on the ones I love. That or just tackling other peoples projects. But I do that anyway.

I just sold my seca and it came back. I mean I made 400 on it, but it's not helping me get rid of stuff.

Definitely build it into a stupid underpowered scrambler. Jack up the back and put dirt bars on it with LED headlights and upswept exhaust. Jump it off stuff until you've gotten your investment's worth.

drop it like its hot. use the money for cooler shit.

i thought about doing one of those virago 250 v-twins at one point, guy at my apartment complex had one that probably hadn't moved in like 5 years. I even went out there and looked at and figured out what i would have to cut to make it cool.

the problem with all those bikes is the whole 'backbone' area is one big stamping kinda behind the battery boxes, its super ugly if you start stripping it down, and it has that crazy dip to it so you cant do anything to make it look better. about all you can do is fill that whole thing in with a big fat seat which also looks doofy.

i dunno if you figure it out let me know but i decided it was way too much time and money to throw at a really stupid project.

pics of your samurai? i have a '93 with the EFI 1.3L that's been rebuilt with 30k on it! awesome little guy

also have a spare engine with 100k on it.... woulda sold it to ya :/

Ana L. of the Aurora Roras /

Bring it on by the shed !

Finally getting the tracker motor in tomorrow, got real held up on the suspension needed for the deeper oil pan on the tracker 1.6 to clear the solid front axle in the samurai. Just tons of holdups every step of the way and also I have no time. All the quicker fix projects and bikes always get attention cuz I get some satisfaction from actually getting to finish something in my little 1-2 hour windows.

sami8.JPG
sami21.JPG

ahhh you have rear seats! im jealous

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I get some satisfaction from actually getting to finish something in my little 1-2 hour windows.

I thought i was the only one. I get a couple days a week from about 4-6pm to work on anything that needs attention, then my time is basically up. Im slowing fixing up a 2003 Hyundai accent but every time i touch something i find another problem. Its funny how i went to do a brake job last week now Im replacing struts and a brake line.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account