more death defying rain riding tales...

mit mortso /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

i rode my biggest mopad ( '00 twin cam harley dyna, 1450cc ) to atlanta this weekend for Blake's wedding. it rained a lot. i got soaked, and dryed off 3x on the way up. on the highway, everybody's going like 85, so i just blast, and i'm dry in 20 miles. today, it was all clear until i was almost home. the roads were empty and i was hauling ass. i saw it in the sky. dark clouds. ozone smell. pow. i'm soaked. i gotta keep going pretty fast. any time someone gets in front of me the tire spray blinds me. i was on 16 and it's one of those dumb concrete highways with lines. it's scary as fuck the first few times. i'm used to it tho. probably helped me not hydroplane a few times today too. so i'm cruising through the storm and i notice my bike's a little wigglier than it should be, even with the wind and rain and stupid liney road. i wiggled the bars and almost wiped out. back tire was 3/4 flat. i started just tappin the front brake to flash my brake lights and carefully coasted into the shoulder. lucky as freakin fuck, i had one of those co2 cartridge tire pumper things in my bag and 2 co2 charges. got it aired up. i could see bubbles coming out of the spoke nipples in the rain. i started going like 60, then quickley slowed down as it got softer. i got to a gas station and couldn't find any exterior damage. it has spokes, so i'm pretty sure it has a tube. i slimed it at the gas station and aired it up 5 over. the slime helped. it got me about 10 - 15 miles before it got really soft on 1 inflation. i limped about 50 miles home wet as fuck stopping at every exit for air. the tire got crazy off balance toward the end and started oscillating hard. made it home tho. rim is fine. i hate the dunlops it came with anyway. michelin makes a harley tire called a scorcher and it's like the HD gazelle yo.

be safe y'all. practice riding in the rain. if you ride enough you will unavoidably have to sooner or later. have good lights. have some kind of eye protection. be cool and smart.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account