Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Josiah Radebaugh /

There is this 1984 Mercedes 380Sl, about 2 miles from where I live that I'm thinking about buying. It's a little rough, but I don't think it's that bad. I've heard from many people that Mercedes are expensive to repair. But from what I've seen, as long as you don't buy parts made Mercedes it isn't really that bad...Is there something I don't know about? What's your experience?(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

I had a 97 Audi A4 Turbo Quattro 5 Speed.

My Transmission went out, It taught me to Not Buy Cars that I can't afford the parts for.

Man I loved that car.

I know these cars pretty well. The S class from this era are awesome but classically Mercedes-Style over engineered. If you are looking at it for a reliable DD then I would recommend against it. I have a few myself (450/560SLs) and work on an 1985 380SL for a client. It will be expensive to maintain and keep running reliably. Trust me.

Also you state it is a little rough...If there is any car out there that you should run away from in the case of evidence of previous owner neglect or deferred maintenance it is an older Mercedes. There is a saying "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes". It is 100% true.

Ive got an 82 300d and it rules. I prefer the diesel Benz over any others, they are a little bit easier to find parts for in the w123 body style. A turbo is nice too. I would personally never get an sl, isn't as great of a chassis nor are parts as easy to find. They made the w123 body style from 1973-1986 and it is buily like a tank. The sl is not really a sports car and not super luxurious, kinda in the middle somewhere. Though if you are willing to learn to fix it yourself and scour the scrap yards they can be super cheap. Expensive parts are things like the window regulator/motor, transmission bits, vacuum Regulator and fuel injectors. I re-did the entire front end suspension on the 300d with new shocks, tie rods, drag link, damper, ECT and it was less than $500 in parts and only took a few hours. Pretty simple cars and they just keep going and going forever. Setting the valves is a yearly thing and keeping the oil fresh will help everything be happier.

Josiah Radebaugh /

It's pretty cheap, he started out at $1,000 with a question mark when I asked how much he wanted. So I'm betting on being able to get it for cheap

Oh man, I tried to warn you. I think I know how this is going to end.

What Norris said x 2

Barry (Bob) Brown /

I have a 2014 c300 sport, I keep up with maintenance, but it is expensive if you follow all the recommended stuff. I imagine the older they are the more you might need to put in them. I lucked out and have a couple mercedes techs where I work and they did the firmware, high elevation and winter programming for free.

Yeah I would pass

Please don't think I'm knocking you because I actually already have this malady. I just want to play a little game here and see how close I can get. A $1000 SL: Flinstone mobile, jack point "holes" no longer visible behind the skin coat of bondo and undercoating, soft top tucked away for the last 30 years (swiss cheese mouse house) hard top most likely awol. Runs from anywhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes before it dies (if it runs at all). Needs full exhaust. No name brand tires 10-20 years old and dry-rotted. Interior absolutely smoked especially if leather. Oil puking from valve covers, head gaskets, rear main seal, power steering and all 12 transmission gaskets and seals. Body rust/ dents and most likely cheapo repaint. All bushings original and severely dry rotted. Non-op climate control meaning A/C, heat and most likely fan as well. How close am I?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Hmm. Well shoot. We'll see.

Edit: It's a hard top, Looks fairly clean but there is some rust bubbling near the hood.(edited)

I could go on but I'm not trying to sound like a total D-bag. The only way to buy one of these cars is with the "file" from the original or perhaps second or maybe third owner. Believe it or not you can find really nice examples of these with reasonable mileage and proof of maintenance (and make it a 450 or 560 not a 380) for around 5 to 7k. Perhaps not in the rust belt but once again there I can sympathize as well.

its a combination hard and soft top but read the "soft top tucked away" part of my previous rant. Do your research on these cars. They can be a blast but very unkind to the uninitiated.

if it is in fact really just a "hard top" as you say you may have a 380S"E"L which is a totally different chassis, different animal entirely and would make alot more sense that he would be asking only 1k for it.

To op, YES.

i've owned 4 benzos...'58 190D, '69 220D, '82 240D, and an '85 300D. they all ruled.

if i were to get a benz DD again, i'd get another W123 diesel, because parts are plentiful. they are easy to work on, and as much as they may fall apart eventually, they will do so after about 250,000 mies, and they will typically still run.

petrol benzos just never interested me. i doubt i'd ever own one. they seem like completely different animals than their oil-burning counterparts.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Don’t waste your money.

I'd you're Set on the German Variety then Buy a Vintage VW.

Sure, buy it...

But only if it's going to be a project and not your transportation... Do not buy it to drive to work....

Also, have fun with the HVAC system. Lol

Jimmy Cincinnati /

If my memory serves me correctly this is a first car for you right? You were considering a used mail truck for awhile as well. For a first car i think this will be a nightmare, get something that is cheaper & easier to work on. Im probably a broken record here but might i suggest a 2000+ Hyundai Accent or Elantra? They can be had for cheap, they are dependable, cheap / plentiful parts, and are easy as pie to work on. If you get the hatch back you will basically have a mini mini van that is capable of hauling mopeds (granted not the most idea way but its atleast more up to the task than that of a sedan).

Regardless, for a first car i would steer you away from German, Brittish, or French cars. Buy American, Japanese, or Korean cars for cheap dependability.

Or... you do seem to get alot of mopeds. Maybe a used Ford Ranger or Chevy S10 would be a good fit for you. Those can be had fairly cheap. I would recommend a Toyota but good luck finding a good deal on one that isnt rusted out.

If you like punishment,buy it. Odds are any Mercedes cheap is gonna bite you later.

I never owned a Mercedes.

Mom and dad had a diesel model before diesel was cool. They fought with the dealership on a hard shifting condition within the auto trans. Never got resolved. Convinced mom later to sell it and move on.

I myself have owned and maintained two Audi's. A 5000 and a 100

When the fuel pump went out of the 100 it was $600 from the dealership, $300 from Napa. When I wanted to change the timing belt I needed a very specific harmonic balancer puller thats not available from any parts store. I sold the last Audi in 2000 and never looked back since while driving American trucks.

The lesson I learned was that parts, service and the special tools needed are exspensive and hard to come by. Sure, German cars are of decent quality but you are going to need deep pockets.

Yea I bet its an sel, which again. Pass on that shit

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

mercedes was a gold digging bitch

Josiah Radebaugh /

Nah, it's an SL

3.8 L v8

IMG_20190723_173434346.jpg

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Run away

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Oh just buy it and then when everything goes wrong Weldon some mounts for a Chevy 350

i wouldnt buy an old mercedes unless it's a diesel or TD. late 90's or newer... unless diesel

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Oh just buy it and then when everything goes wrong Weldon some mounts

> for a Chevy 350

lol , yep