Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nah, it's an SL

>

> 3.8 L v8

> >

See the symbol on the grill??

Its actually a German dollar $ign.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Run away!! Run away!!!(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Did I mention it runs? Most likely won't get get it. Oh well, more money fer peds.

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Good Grief, you need help Charlie Brown. See post #11

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

...and yeah, I may be tooting my own horn here a bit but damn, its like I got ESP or something..hey it still has the hard top though. That's a plus.

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ..hey it still has the hard top though.

That's a plus.

Euro-trash vehicles do not have pluses.

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

I have a trashy 90s jetta. it's some straight eurotrash, it was cheap as hell tho and continues to be so. it works but barely but that's whatever, it works

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

A 70s diesel manual clutch rabbit awesome you couldn't kill it now that is true eurotrash

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A 70s diesel manual clutch rabbit awesome you couldn't kill it now that

> is true eurotrash

my experiences with small diesels--both european and japanese--are that any engine with a iron block and an aluminum head is trouble. i've had both a mitsubishi and a toyota diesel, as well as a VW vanagon w/ a diesel (same basic engine as the rabbit). all were trouble at some point, especially once a head gasket blows.

conversely, i've have had several M-B diesels, and a datsun SD-22 diesel (same engine the nissan forklifts used). they use cast iron heads, and are about bullet-proof.

the thing about the M-B diesels are that although the drivetrains very well may last forever, once they get a lot of miles on them, the cars start to fall apart around the stout drivetrains. at least here in the states, parts aren't cheap for them compared to detroit iron. that datsun was an albatross. best place to get parts for it is forklift supply outlets.

any german car with a lot of miles on it winds up being a labor of love and financial expenditures.

that's my experience, anyway. others may have different experiences.(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A 70s diesel manual clutch rabbit awesome you couldn't kill it now that

> is true eurotrash

Rust kills them.

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

I would be down to play with a diesel, I think you just treat it as a project, buy it for 2000 knowing you're buying it for 4000 in the end

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

punkrock randy /

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Norris Hall Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ..hey it still has the hard top though.

>

> That's a plus.

>

> Euro-trash vehicles do not have pluses.

I love my euro-trash passat 1.8T. Got for $700 9 years ago. Gets 31 mpg on the highway. Just rolled over 325,000 miles. And it’ll still go over 135 mph if you happen through New Mexico

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Mercedes and parts ,I doubt they are cheap and easy to install many of them.

A little story here about having a nice OLD Ford Aerostar van and traveling.

The Aerostar is out transfer vehicle to go from FL to OH and back, usually at least 3 times per year. It has tools in it for general repairs.

I was returnin g from Cincy after greeting our latest grandson, 2 days old, and about Williamsburg,OH the van developed a shake like loose lug bolts or bad wheel bearing and pulling left when braking.

I made it on a side road to Mt.Orab and there was an AutoZone and an Advance Auto right handy.

I checked the front wheels and the right one was hot. Went into Advance and asked about parking in their shade (for my wife's comfort) while I jacked the right front wheel up. They said fine just don't have it on the lot after closing.

Didn't have to hold the brake to loosen any lug nuts...………….wheel was locked up.

Got a 27 dollar brake caliper,so easy to install it's laughable, and went on my merry way.

Somehow, I doubt the Mercedes would've had a 27 dollar part and that easy to in stall. Could be wrong though. LOL!

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mercedes and parts ,I doubt they are cheap and easy to install many of

> them.

>

> A little story here about having a nice OLD Ford Aerostar van and

> nd traveling.

>

> The Aerostar is out transfer vehicle to go from FL to OH and back,

> , usually at least 3 times per year. It has tools in it for general

> repairs.

>

> I was returnin g from Cincy after greeting our latest grandson, 2 days

> ys old, and about Williamsburg,OH the van developed a shake like loose

> lug bolts or bad wheel bearing and pulling left when braking.

>

> I made it on a side road to Mt.Orab and there was an AutoZone and an

> an Advance Auto right handy.

>

> I checked the front wheels and the right one was hot. Went into

> to Advance and asked about parking in their shade (for my wife's

> comfort) while I jacked the right front wheel up. They said fine just

> don't have it on the lot after closing.

>

> Didn't have to hold the brake to loosen any lug nuts...………….wheel was

> as locked up.

>

> Got a 27 dollar brake caliper,so easy to install it's laughable, and

> nd went on my merry way.

>

> Somehow, I doubt the Mercedes would've had a 27 dollar part and that

> t easy to in stall. Could be wrong though. LOL!

thanks for hijacking the mercedes thread and making it about you and your detroit garbage.

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> mercedes was a gold digging bitch

Still is, although I can say I see the appeal.....I know where sits an ,86 500 series 4dr. beautiful body, has new bits, gas tank is new metal etc, but it has been dormant for 2 yrs now according to the plates, something expensive sidelined it, and now someone broke the drivers window, prob an attempt to steal it, owner has it covered with cardboard, this winter will ruin it, once water is inside the floors will rot out fast. I WANT this car badly...but fortunately, or unfortunately, I know better, if the trans is out or a headgasket or whatever....there is no way I could afford to repair it. All I have to do is go into the business it sits behind and ask.....must stay strong! Get an american truck if you carry stuff, or if you just want a car, get a Corolla or Camry, '90-2000 are nearly indestructible. Steer clear unless you have a trust fund or a sugar daddy...and if you do, get a new one! ;) Super Nice Pug in your profile!(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Yeah, the more I thought about it. The less of a good Idea it seemed to get something like that. Although I could get it for Moped prices (maybe free) It'll be too much money to make it worth it. VW's are pretty good, maybe I'll find a Ghia... I

do love 70's F-150s if I really wanted something to haul junk. Maybe I'll just buy an M35A2 ;) Iove the look of older Mercedes, especially the 280 SE. I'll probably just end up with something I find at random and hadn't searched for. @Stephen Keller, Why thank you! Work in progress...

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> A Zed Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Mercedes and parts ,I doubt they are cheap and easy to install many of

>

> > them.

>

> >

>

> > A little story here about having a nice OLD Ford Aerostar van and

>

> > nd traveling.

>

> >

>

> > The Aerostar is out transfer vehicle to go from FL to OH and back,

>

> > , usually at least 3 times per year. It has tools in it for general

>

> > repairs.

>

> >

>

> > I was returnin g from Cincy after greeting our latest grandson, 2 days

>

> > ys old, and about Williamsburg,OH the van developed a shake like loose

>

> > lug bolts or bad wheel bearing and pulling left when braking.

>

> >

>

> > I made it on a side road to Mt.Orab and there was an AutoZone and an

>

> > an Advance Auto right handy.

>

> >

>

> > I checked the front wheels and the right one was hot. Went into

>

> > to Advance and asked about parking in their shade (for my wife's

>

> > comfort) while I jacked the right front wheel up. They said fine just

>

> > don't have it on the lot after closing.

>

> >

>

> > Didn't have to hold the brake to loosen any lug nuts...………….wheel was

>

> > as locked up.

>

> >

>

> > Got a 27 dollar brake caliper,so easy to install it's laughable, and

>

> > nd went on my merry way.

>

> >

>

> > Somehow, I doubt the Mercedes would've had a 27 dollar part and that

>

> > t easy to in stall. Could be wrong though. LOL!

>

> thanks for hijacking the mercedes thread and making it about you and

> your detroit garbage.

Hypocrite! I remember you hating to agree with me on how good a vehicle the Aerostar is on another thread.

Now you're a HATER(calling it Detroit garbage), but you always are. LOL!

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > A Zed Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Mercedes and parts ,I doubt they are cheap and easy to install many

> of

>

> >

>

> > > them.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > A little story here about having a nice OLD Ford Aerostar van and

>

> >

>

> > > nd traveling.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > The Aerostar is out transfer vehicle to go from FL to OH and back,

>

> >

>

> > > , usually at least 3 times per year. It has tools in it for general

>

> >

>

> > > repairs.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I was returnin g from Cincy after greeting our latest grandson, 2

> days

>

> >

>

> > > ys old, and about Williamsburg,OH the van developed a shake like

> loose

>

> >

>

> > > lug bolts or bad wheel bearing and pulling left when braking.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I made it on a side road to Mt.Orab and there was an AutoZone and an

>

> >

>

> > > an Advance Auto right handy.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I checked the front wheels and the right one was hot. Went into

>

> >

>

> > > to Advance and asked about parking in their shade (for my wife's

>

> >

>

> > > comfort) while I jacked the right front wheel up. They said fine

> just

>

> >

>

> > > don't have it on the lot after closing.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Didn't have to hold the brake to loosen any lug nuts...………….wheel

> was

>

> >

>

> > > as locked up.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Got a 27 dollar brake caliper,so easy to install it's laughable, and

>

> >

>

> > > nd went on my merry way.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Somehow, I doubt the Mercedes would've had a 27 dollar part and that

>

> >

>

> > > t easy to in stall. Could be wrong though. LOL!

>

> >

>

> > thanks for hijacking the mercedes thread and making it about you and

>

> > your detroit garbage.

>

> Hypocrite! I remember you hating to agree with me on how good a vehicle

> the Aerostar is on another thread.

>

> Now you're a HATER(calling it Detroit garbage), but you always are.

> e. LOL!

the point, dum ohio ,was that you hijacked a thread on a the topic of mercedes, and made it about you and your aerostar.

might i suggest that before you post your brand of inconsiderate stupidity again, please consider parking that aerostar in the garage, close the door, run a hose from the tailpipe into its cabin, start it up, and sit inside of it with the windows up, while thinking about what an asshole you are?(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

VW's are pretty good, maybe I'll find a Ghia...

I wouldnt recommend it for a first car. i would get something cheap & easy to work on for a daily driver than once you have the space / time / money to start looking at these more unique cars like Mercedes or Volkswagens.

Is there nothing we can do on this site to avoid someone name calling or telling someone to kill them-self?

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is there nothing we can do on this site to avoid someone name calling or

> telling someone to kill them-self?

yeah, get don to kill himself.

(I just couldn't resist the setup, don please don't actually kill yourself, but maybe do post less)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

The point, K-evil, was to show how much cheaper and easier it IS to get a domestic vehicle back on the road QUICKLY by working on it with normal tools.

Went right over your HATER head. LOL!

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

What we need is a thread about yugos...

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What we need is a thread about yugos...

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?18,4158697,4158697#msg-4158697

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?18,2964769,2964769#msg-2964769(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, seems like you are hung up on buying a moped in car form, a la a 70's semi functioning weathered project.

If you plan on using this car daily, get something with less class and worry and just enjoy the fact that it will get you to and from where you need to go well. Don't turn all your vehicles into projects.

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Here's my albatross...pray for my self control.... ;o)

20190816_140548.jpg
20190816_140534.jpg
20190816_140537.jpg

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The point, K-evil, was to show how much cheaper and easier it IS to get

> a domestic vehicle back on the road QUICKLY by working on it with normal

> tools.

>

> Went right over your HATER head. LOL!

the point, don ohio, was that trying to hijack the thread (albeit unsuccessfully) the way you did was just another example of you acting like a pompous, self-righteous creep, believing that you have all the answers to all of life's problems, whether those problems pertain to religion, politics, cars, etc.

i guess you didn't read the verses in your Book of Fairy Tales that pertain to humility, such as this one:

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

~Colossians 3:12

<smh>(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Relax Stephen. It’s really nothing to get excited about. It’s only misery.

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

^ See, I "know" that...but it is such a classy car, and that series was built like a battleship, body is good....but I just know something expensive sidelined it...but then the little devil on my shoulder says, maybe someone's parent got too old to drive...it has until the last two yrs been well cared for....but it is just such a money pit.... :( Ugggh!(edited)

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Buy it drive it like you stole it into the ground and then replace it all with Chevy parts I know I was looking at a couple vehicles and I was thinking well just replace the engine is a beautiful interior but then that was a 70's bobcat and it was a whopping $400 investment for the engine I got the whole car for a buck and a quarter cuz it had a busted motor mount and that OEM for was weak as shit the power needle on that shity Carter carburetor was rough or misaligned or bent and had to be adjusted on a regular basis just for the damn thing to run right but my brother he was in the service a long time he brought over some cars from Germany one was an Opel GT and the other was it an old Mercedes he also had a Porsche but he replaced the Mercedes engine with a 350 Chevy and I think he might still be driving it I haven't talked to him about cars in 20 years probably haven't seen him in ten

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

^ I don't even know if it runs, and it is "new" enough that you can't just swap in a GM driveline would cost more than it will ever be worth, I have until the end of October, when the snow begins, after that the broken drives door window will start the decline in earnest, I know it is just a car, but she is a great lady of a fine era....real class this one. Just out of my league financially. :(

Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I know it is just a car, but she is a great lady of a fine era....real class this one. Just out of my league financially. :

Like a fat harley guy starring at a moped, i cant figure out why anyone would want an older Mercedes. Im sure it had a nice ride, but how much of the want of that car is just in the name? Or what am i missing? Because the car honestly is just a brick shape, yet somehow costs a fortune to keep running?? Maybe im just not meant to understand this sector of cars.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account