Re: Are Mercedes Really that Expensive?

I think a lot of it IS simply the image....which I find odd as I normally don't go in for such things. But something about that model has always done it for me. Just looks classy. There is NOTHING practical about it, I know that, but there is a slice of my mind that if given free reign would bankrupt me over the stupid thing. :)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I agree with jimmy. It’s not a very attractive car, and those wheels are just hideous.

I love the lines....different strokes etc. But I know better. :)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Lines?

At 36-36-36, she’s a real looker for an old girl. Jk ;)

^ lol! :D

Can't believe this thread is still going. Now that it has been hopelessly 'jacked I'll jump in again with $.02 on the SEL for the benefit of Mr Keller. Nice color but I can see the rust creeping out on the rear wheel well. Looks decent right now but won't for long especially in your neck of the woods. If you are into the look of that chassis then I would suggest you find a 300SD. You get the exact same car but with much much less potential for the lightening of the pocketbook that is inevitable with these cars in general and especially so with the older 450/560 cars. Unless you are anti diesel the SD will be exponentially more reliable and less costly but you do have to make sure it is healthy compression wise out your way. Wouldn't want it for a daily in February out there. I own and work on quite a few of these cars, the gassers and diesels. The best you can hope for as far as start-ability goes in the winter with the diesels is around zero degrees without being plugged in and you better have a very healthy battery, good connections and all glowplugs functional as well as good compression and 5w40 synthetic to start at those temps without the block heater.

Good eye on that rust spot, it is the only one I could find, hard to believe around here. I'm 99% sure I will not buy this, for all the myriad reasons listed above, I just really like these cars, it's a sickness, I had a bad case of air-cooled VW disease for yrs! :)

I won't expose the full extent of my sickness but here is one of mine for your viewing pleasure.

20170503_121406.jpg

One more for Josiah. only fair.

20190820_122017[536].jpg

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I had a bad case of air-cooled VW disease for yrs! :)

You sir are a glutton for punishment! A broke glutton, if i had to guess haha

I will say Norris, that black & silver theme, with those mag wheels does make that a pretty slick car. I do dig the fast back as well. Ill never own one, but its not a bad looking car.

The air cooled VW did not used to be so expensive, but as they get rarer the examples are either mint and worth$ to the point of being ridiculous, or all rust and not worth repairing. That 500 coupe though! :)

....or they have been turned into bajas

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The air cooled VW did not used to be so expensive, but as they get rarer

> the examples are either mint and worth$ to the point of being

> ridiculous, or all rust and not worth repairing. That 500 coupe though!

> :)

20190611_180021_HDR.jpg
20190611_123319.jpg
20190605_113605_HDR.jpg

(edited)

Josiah Radebaugh /

I think the biggest factor in my liking is their boat like characteristics. Like Crown Victorias or the bricks that were Volvos. The last thing the guy said was

"go fuck yourself dickhead" I'll take that as a maybe. It's impractical in almost every way. I knew that but hey, it was there. Had to try. There is some guy around here who's got himself a Baja beetle. Wants $5000 for it. It has no interior except two seats and some plywood. People ask way too much for em.(edited)

I wouldn't have sold that Benz to you either.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> ....or they have been turned into bajas

>

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The air cooled VW did not used to be so expensive, but as they get

> rarer

>

> > the examples are either mint and worth$ to the point of being

>

> > ridiculous, or all rust and not worth repairing. That 500 coupe

> though!

>

> > :)

> >

Love a Baja, but I'm the rust belt they are either show cars you don't drive, or they are literally gone from rust. I had a bunch of Bay window Westphalia campers at one point, should have kept them, even junk ones you can see through are going for stupid money.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ....or they have been turned into bajas

>

> >

>

> > > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > The air cooled VW did not used to be so expensive, but as they get

>

> > rarer

>

> >

>

> > > the examples are either mint and worth$ to the point of being

>

> >

>

> > > ridiculous, or all rust and not worth repairing. That 500 coupe

>

> > though!

>

> >

>

> > > :)

>

> > >

>

> Love a Baja, but I'm the rust belt they are either show cars you don't

> drive, or they are literally gone from rust. I had a bunch of Bay window

> Westphalia campers at one point, should have kept them, even junk ones

> you can see through are going for stupid money.

Are you asking for more pics?

Yes

> jayson sumpter Wrote:

> Yes

20190605_113605_HDR.jpg

(edited)

Those are some funky, fluffy seats.

Is that an under dash air conditioner! My old Porsche targa had one of those abominations added on by the dealer. Twas Garbage.

Of I hadn't sold it I woulda put a vintageair unit it....hard to believe that was a $3000 car 14 years ago...now they are nuts like everything else.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Those are some funky, fluffy seats.

>

> Is that an under dash air conditioner! My old Porsche targa had one of

> those abominations added on by the dealer. Twas Garbage.

>

> Of I hadn't sold it I woulda put a vintageair unit it....hard to believe

> that was a $3000 car 14 years ago...now they are nuts like everything

> else.

That was a build that started 30 years ago by someone else. Was recently finished.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Oh my God, it's a superbug my uncle had one of those it was a 69 or so it came with a 411 Porsche engine 5 speed oh my dear God I used to drive it around when I was 14 and he had already drunk a fifth of whiskey before noon he always said you drive I'm too drunk and he used to tell me to go straight through lights and he'd pay the ticket jokingly oh my God that brings back memories and his wife is constantly nagging wife Alice now looking back at it they're pretty happy and hip even though it was like a sitcom

Super bug did not come about until mid '71, even then the curved windshield not until '72, the standard was produced along with the Super until '77.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It was all like hacked up man he had one of them for 11 from I think he said a Microbus engine in it I don't know I was 14 I didn't know anything at the time I was just happy is let me drive the damn car my dad let him drive his Mercury when he was 10 he was odd cat I remember it was orange and needed floorboards bad

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account