My Sears Sabre motorcycle

I had a post in general discussion but I figure I should move it over here since its not a moped and I'm as big of a dick about that as anyone, hence this thread.

I got me a motorcycle tonight.

It's only 50cc.

It's older than me

It's rough

I'm into it.

I have never owned a shifty before and I'm not sure how to start it. If I kick it in netrual nothing seems to happen, I don't hear the piston do anything. If I kick it while in gear the rear wheel moves and it pushes the bike forward. I don't think I want that and it also tells me the center stand needs adjusting.

Beat me. I'm a noob. If it were a tomos or a sachs or an e50 or even a China scoot I would know what I'm doing, but this is new territory.

More info as it comes.

Enjoy some pictures

20190806_222017.jpg
part000001_03.jpg
part000001_01.jpg

Re: My Sears Sabre motorcycle

tell me about the mk3 supra ?

That's the seller's not mine. I was more impressed by the shag carpeting in his van.

He may be on this forum. I'll ask him to tell you about it.

A little light reading on my lunch break

20190807_122137.jpg

As far as I know you start shifty's in neutral, or at least hold the clutch in, but I always did it in neutral. You got the cyl shroud, that's a plus! That van is so awesome! So was shag carpet...lol! ;)

Austin Hopkins /

Im the previous owner of said puch sabre. That mk3 supra is my brothers, not mine. Its a 1989 targa top turbo. He just finished a manual swap on it. I have the rickety chevy to the left.(edited)

And just like that it starts!

The clutch cable was too short. Ill get a new one tomorrow.

I removed the cable, put a little pre mix in the spark plug hole kicked it maybe twice and just like that it started. Idles nicely.

By the way. Hes selling that van short. Any of us old timers either had a van like that or wanted one. I was too young to drive then but I would see the ads for them and think "these guys are on to something!" It's a real survivor. I'd be proud to stumble out of in in a giant cloud of smoke any time.

Got any restoration or refurbishment plans for this?

I'm gonna clean it up and ride it.

Unless it gets the best of me or I just get bored with it.

I'm not a stickler for authenticity so I'm gonna stick a puch sticker on the tank and paint it either black or as close to BRG as I can get without it looking too military- ish(edited)

> Mark Miller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> Unless it gets the best of me or I just get bored with it.

In that case, I’d be interested in buying it from you.

Ewwwww

Evaporust time.

I replaced the clutch cable. I dont think its shifting properly though. I'm going to change the gearbox oil. Who knows what's in there.

20190812_103236.jpg

Sears Sabre (Puch Dakota) was my first bike. Thought it was a moped when I bought it because I was dumb and registered it as a moped for the same reason. Still have it in Dave B’s garage. Thing is awesome. Lots of compatible Puch parts but the cylinder is some weird voodoo stuff. Take it easy on the transmission, and be careful with the clutch cable adjustment. Too tight and it’ll pop out of engagement.

If you know where to look, there’s a super rare 65cc kit floating around in the EU for it.

> Brendan Mcginnis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sears Sabre (Puch Dakota) was my first bike. Thought it was a moped when

> I bought it because I was dumb and registered it as a moped for the same

> reason. Still have it in Dave B’s garage. Thing is awesome. Lots of

> compatible Puch parts but the cylinder is some weird voodoo stuff. Take

> it easy on the transmission, and be careful with the clutch cable

> adjustment. Too tight and it’ll pop out of engagement.

>

> If you know where to look, there’s a super rare 65cc kit floating around

> in the EU for it.

So, where do I look?

Google the string below including the quotations to only include results containing “Dakota”. Some listings come with a head and carb. Some Dutch shop also includes a modded biturbo.

Puch “dakota” 60cc kit

Well shite

See that little screw...number 61, yeah it ain't there. That has something to do with the shift drum according to Matt from Motor West, aka the guy who's gonna get all my money.

20190814_232009.jpg

Well at least the tank looks better

20190815_140253.jpg

Rattle canned.

Poorly at that.

But once a rat always a rat

It starts too. Idles well. Doesnt shift quite right. Need further research.

20190818_105640-1.jpg
20190818_105713-1.jpg

Also, i ran outta black duct tape (or is it duck tape?)

Duct Tape made by Duck Tape

You should talk to Rockettman (Richard) on here. He collects Sabres and has rebuilt a ton of them including mine. The fact that you say it isn't shifting correctly would worry me. These motors have a temperamental transmission and need to be shimmed just right... something is out of wack.(edited)

I'll look him up. I was bothering Matt from motor west and he replied frequently but then I find out He's sick and is selling his business. So I'm bugging this poor guy and he's answering all my stupid questions. I should place a big order for the trouble.

I may have gotten the clutch set right because now it seems to shift. Except that I keep stalling going into first. That's just a motorcycle noob thing, right? In just need to get the rhythm down.

It could be. If this is your first motorcycle experience I'd say yes. But who knows

Might be worth putting fresh transmission fluid in the clutch side and making sure your clutch plates are clean - no old grime between them. I had an Allstate Compact scooter and one of my clutch plate's friction material was deteriorating and falling apart.(edited)

Robert Linhares /

Best bet: get in touch with Rockettman (Richard).

He is a master mechanic and will treat you right.

Holy forkin shortballs it works!

All things pointed to a bad, worn out clutch (at least in my head...but I don't know what the hell I'm doing) I was going to take the cover off so i drained the oil. It didn't look too bad, I've seen much worse.

I figured oil is cheaper than new clutch parts so I changed the oil. Low and behold, now it runs as it should. The speedo even works (I don't think its even close to accurate but that's why mother science gave us GPS) I need a tail light and a headlight lamp and im good to go.

(Theres that whole "registering it as a motorcycle due to its manual transmission" thing but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Spoke too soon. Now its got little power. Im guessing a carb cleaning would be in order, or I got an airleak somewhere.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account