GoPro Users

I'm new to GoPro cameras, won one in a local raffle.

How many of you use action cameras while riding, or for any other hobbies you have?

I've been using my phone to trim videos, but looking into other editing options. I don't have a computer or laptop at the moment, but considering investing on one just to have one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for editing? Riding? Do you use chest mount? Helmet mount? Not care for using a camera while riding? Find it's too much work? Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: GoPro Users

I have a cheapo "wannabe" Polaroid version of a go-pro like camera, when I made some riding videos usually I mount it on a outrigger or 'camera on a stick'. Basically just a 1/4-20 bolt with some wingnuts, a large washer and some inner tube so the wing nut and washer does not self loosen.

Rest of the time I use it as my bikes 'dash camera' just incase someone decides it is a good idea to try o drive someone into the ditch or other crap like that (sad there are assholes out there like that)

CamMount03.jpg
CamStick01.jpg

That's pretty genius, do you get good footage from that angle? I'll have to try something like that out, i'm a fan of DIY camera on a stick rather than pay out the ass for those plastic expensive mounts.

there was a dude who made a helmet gimbal and it turned out awesome, just being up there it'd swing around corners etc and catch some great shots. search around you might find it.

I borrowed a gopro a few times offroad and stuff, but never could take the time t sit down and review all that footage for just me to watch? like who wants to watch you riding. uness you're trying to edit down to show off some silly stuff. I always wanted to video just doing dumb urbn dirtbike shit like launching off stair sets or median barriers and riding the underground on my commutes home, but never did it.

Wasn't that one of the guys in Tucson with the rotating helmet cam thingy?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> there was a dude who made a helmet gimbal and it turned out awesome,

> just being up there it'd swing around corners etc and catch some great

> shots. search around you might find it.

>

> I borrowed a gopro a few times offroad and stuff, but never could take

> the time t sit down and review all that footage for just me to watch?

> like who wants to watch you riding. uness you're trying to edit down to

> show off some silly stuff. I always wanted to video just doing dumb urbn

> dirtbike shit like launching off stair sets or median barriers and

> riding the underground on my commutes home, but never did it.

Sitting on the stick works as a bit of a vibration damper - it is a cheapo knock off go-pro so there is no stabilizer or that sort of technology in it... different angle than just on the barz or side of the helmet...

> Wild West Pony Wrote:

> That's pretty genius, do you get good footage from that angle? I'll have

> to try something like that out, i'm a fan of DIY camera on a stick

> rather than pay out the ass for those plastic expensive mounts.

you could try to use a handheld dslr steady mount

the camera sits on the mount and gimbel and has a piece that curves outwards and down with a counter-weight at the bottom

remove the handle grip and replace it with a bolted on piece of wood, or clamp it to a c-stand arm and onto your bike

**the pic is of a super cheap consumer version, not sure if this particular model is smooth enough. in the end it all really comes down to how much you wanna pay.

Smooth = Expensive**(edited)

ee20e44e-cba8-4c69-a0b0-0f8a7a4a5535_1.37aaed5f7534c7a3a31f309104702b71.jpeg.jpg

I made a steady cam for experimenting with video, weird effect on corners, accelerating and braking, does nothing noticeable to get rid of jello screen from vibrations. Camera on a wood stick across the seat with butt pressure on the stick damps the vibration quite nicely if you have a cheapo knockoff camera.

> ..... poop Wrote:

> you could try to use a handheld dslr steady mount

>

> the camera sits on the mount and gimbel and has a piece that curves

> outwards and down with a counter-weight at the bottom

>

> remove the handle grip and replace it with a bolted on piece of wood, or

> clamp it to a c-stand arm and onto your bike

>

> **the pic is of a super cheap consumer version, not sure if this

> particular model is smooth enough. in the end it all really comes down

> to how much you wanna pay.

>

> Smooth = Expensive**

^ yep. trying to offset turns can be hard even with bigger rigs

just shoot wide and stabilize it in post-production ;-)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account