Re: American Motors Cars

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

AMC Jeep

Just

Everybody

Elses

Parts

Re: American Motors Cars

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> AMC Jeep

>

> Just

>

> Everybody

>

> Elses

>

> Parts

...and nobody's styling department....I only like them because they are fugly! Jeeps are cool looking though....

Re: American Motors Cars

The OLD Jeeps helped defeat the Hitler Nutzi's and the Emperor Hirohito…………….that's enough for some respect from me.

Re: American Motors Cars

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> AMC Jeep

>

> Just

>

> Everybody

>

> Elses

> *left over*

> Parts

*Fixed*

The International Harvester Scout II that I had as a teenager was the same way.

1978_International_Harvester_Scout_II_wagon_23176143526.jpg

Re: American Motors Cars

go figure, Donut media just did a vid on AMC

Re: RIP to Rusty Ford

it's only a matter of time before your fake profile goes away. you have no game, and won't be missed.

Re: American Motors Cars

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I once was the proud owner of an ambassador Rambler with a 383 made-in-canada Briggs & Stratton it was incredibly awesome for being a grandpa car

Re: American Motors Cars

Rick Bergsma /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I once was the proud owner of an ambassador Rambler with a 383

> made-in-canada Briggs & Stratton it was incredibly awesome for being a

> grandpa car

I pretty sure you mean 343 . The Briggs and Stratton part has me completely baffled.

Re: American Motors Cars

they had incredible design, no question

Re: American Motors Cars

Levi Gremlin..remember that one. My girlfriend had one, it was cool.

Re: American Motors Cars

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah 383 it was right on the quarter panel there was a lot of ball they used to put all sorts of parts in it there are Ford parts and it there Dodge parts in it you put the wife wash fluid in the hot water bottle that said Ford on it and it had vacu assist everything yeah I can still remember that sucking sound and when it when it rains and you're at a stoplight the damn wipers would go nuts cuz of the vacuum was so high at idle

Re: American Motors Cars

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah 383 it was right on the quarter panel there was a lot of ball they

> used to put all sorts of parts in it there are Ford parts and it there

> Dodge parts in it you put the wife wash fluid in the hot water bottle

> that said Ford on it and it had vacu assist everything yeah I can still

> remember that sucking sound and when it when it rains and you're at a

> stoplight the damn wipers would go nuts cuz of the vacuum was so high at

> idle

AMC never made a 383. chrysler did.

AMC had not used anyone else's engines since they used packard engines in the mid-'50's.

AMC made V-8s in sizes of 250, 287, 290, 304, 327, 343, 360, 390, and a 401 CID.

there has been some confusion over the 327, 360, and 390, because chevy made a 327, chrysler and ford both made a 360, and ford made a 390.

that said, all the aforementioned were AMC engines, and the similar displacements as the big three's famous mills were coincidental.

fun fact: the AMC 327 was made 5 years before the chevy engine of the same displacement, and in its original 4bbl version, was arguably the first muscle car (1957 rambler rebel).(edited)

Re: American Motors Cars

> A Zed Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Yeah 383 it was right on the quarter panel there was a lot of ball

> they

>

> > used to put all sorts of parts in it there are Ford parts and it there

>

> > Dodge parts in it you put the wife wash fluid in the hot water bottle

>

> > that said Ford on it and it had vacu assist everything yeah I can

> still

>

> > remember that sucking sound and when it when it rains and you're at a

>

> > stoplight the damn wipers would go nuts cuz of the vacuum was so high

> at

>

> > idle

>

> AMC never made a 383. chrysler did.

>

> AMC had not used anyone else's engines since they used packard engines

> in the mid-'50's.

>

> AMC made V-8s in sizes of 250, 287, 290, 304, 327, 343, 360, 390, and a

> 401 CID.

>

> there has been some confusion over the 327, 360, and 390, because chevy

> made a 327, chrysler and ford both made a 360, and ford made a 390.

>

> that said, all the aforementioned were AMC engines, and the similar

> displacements as the big three's famous mills were coincidental.

>

> fun fact: the AMC 327 was made 5 years before the chevy engine of the

> same displacement, and in its original 4bbl version, was arguably the

> first muscle car (1957 rambler rebel).

correction: AMC used a couple different non-AMC engines in the '80's, made by audi and GM.(edited)

Re: American Motors Cars

250, 287 and 327 were the old heavy casting. 290 304 343 390 and 401 were the newer casting and all of the blocks were same same, just strokes andover bored their way through the range, so your Gremlin X with the factory 304 could become a goodly sleeper by transplanting a 401 and not have to change the suspension to carry the big block weight like the 'Big 3" cars had to do. Their love affair with BorgWarner for transmissions was also so excellent (until they started using the bastardized Mopar 727 automatics). For stick transmissions you could power your muscle car with a goodly AMC motor through a Ford 5 speed, it was all plug and play so with the overdrive 5th you could get some fuel mileage out of your AMX and still have goodly gearing to launch from the traffic lights. Earlier econo Classics and Americans you could swap in a BW from a Volvo (change the tail housing to mount to the Classics/Ambassadors pre 1967 because of the torque tube drive line) and use the OD to sip the fuel with your 196 or 232 straight 6 motor (the one that became the 258 - then powered all of the Jeeps).

They were slow to be rid of the vacuum wipers and the baggie for the washer fluid, the baggie was excellent in the winter though because you could squirt the blue antifreeze onto the windshield and let it melt the frost or ice without the wipers scraping it off before it could be effective.

Old old Ramblers had vacuum power doorlocks... odd but worked well with the factory tin can mounted under the hood as a reservoir.

Dont forget to thank Rambler for air conditioning in any car - they came out with it before anyone else and perfected it while the rest of the industry figured it was some sort of gag... for a few years...

> AMC had not used anyone else's engines since they used packard engines

> in the mid-'50's.

>

> AMC made V-8s in sizes of 250, 287, 290, 304, 327, 343, 360, 390, and a

> 401 CID.

>

> there has been some confusion over the 327, 360, and 390, because chevy

> made a 327, chrysler and ford both made a 360, and ford made a 390.

>

> that said, all the aforementioned were AMC engines, and the similar

> displacements as the big three's famous mills were coincidental.

>

> fun fact: the AMC 327 was made 5 years before the chevy engine of the

> same displacement, and in its original 4bbl version, was arguably the

> first muscle car (1957 rambler rebel).

Re: American Motors Cars

I noticed this site is like a bunch ..always have your haters..enjoy life when you can.i owned a 58 allstate moped when i was a kid .then had a cushman stepthru highlander but always wanted an eagle ..had to wait a few years but after a long wait i finally own one ..also have a couple of peds i am fixing for my 8 year old gdaughters..if topics and pics bring back childhood memories go for it ..you will be old like me one day and will cherish the thoughts of them..1959 cushman eagle

20190729_153815.jpg

Re: American Motors Cars

Rebel wrote: ` Dont forget to thank Rambler for air conditioning in any car - they came out with it before anyone else and perfected it while the rest of the industry figured it was some sort of gag... for a few years...'

Nah,Baby ,Nah...……….First Packard and then Chrysler made the option available.

Nash THEN later made it more available and cheaper.

Re: American Motors Cars

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Rebel wrote: ` Dont forget to thank Rambler for air conditioning in any

> car - they came out with it before anyone else and perfected it while

> the rest of the industry figured it was some sort of gag... for a few

> years...'

>

> Nah,Baby ,Nah...……….First Packard and then Chrysler made the option

> n available.

>

> Nash THEN later made it more available and cheaper.

Packard, Cadillac, and Chrysler were first, second, and third respectfully to offer air conditioning in cars, but neither of those systems were even close to being efficient.

Nash-Kelvinator perfected automotive air conditioning systems, and AMC's Weather Eye system became the basis for all automobile air conditioning systems that followed.

The first car in the world to have air conditioning as a standard feature was the 1968 AMC Ambassador.(edited)

Re: American Motors Cars

WHO cares whether it was a STANDARD feature? You STILL have it added to the cost of the car. Each of my two Lincolns' features were all standard, but the original owner paid for them for sure.

PACKARD had it in 1939.

Re: American Motors Cars

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> WHO cares whether it was a STANDARD feature? You STILL have it added to

> the cost of the car. Each of my two Lincolns' features were all

> standard, but the original owner paid for them for sure.

>

> PACKARD had it in 1939.

There was no independent shut-off mechanism for the Packard’s air conditioner. In order to shut off the air conditioning, you had to shut off the car and the engine and then disconnect the belt for the air conditioning compressor under the hood of the vehicle.

Nash-kelvinator did more than just make the AC systems more available and cheaper. They made them work. They did not prior to the Weather Eye.

For the sake of the debate, it is relevant that an AMC car was the first car with standard AC. The AMC AC system was still the best in the industry in 1968, and there is a reason that AMC holds this as one of their claims to fame.(edited)

Re: American Motors Cars

Just something that was coming along and Nash got into it. No big invention, just an improvement on the invention.

Re: American Motors Cars

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just something that was coming along and Nash got into it. No big

> invention, just an improvement on the invention.

It may have had something to do with the fact that Kelvinator made air conditioners for years before they adapted them for the cars that their company had an interest in.(edited)

Re: American Motors Cars

I just took issue with Rambler being thought to have come out with it first.Not true. Packard did in 1939.

Re: American Motors Cars

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I just took issue with Rambler being thought to have come out with it

> first.Not true. Packard did in 1939.

AMC had the first modern, efficient AC system, so by all rights, they may as well have been the first, as the other three before them were failed attempts at it.

AMC definitely made the first vehicle where AC was a standard feature.

I didn't take Rebel Moby's post as an insult to the three earlier failed attempts at automotive AC systems. In fact, I'm pretty sure he probably knew that there were other attempts at automotive AC before AMC was the company that got it right. All he did was point out that we should be thankful to Rambler. Maybe he shoul have specified that we need to be thankful that we don't have to pop the hood and install and remove the AC belt every time we want to turn out AC on and off, like the Packard owners had to do in the late-'30's.(edited)

Re: American Motors Cars

Just can't admit Rambler wasn't the first,right? Poor old Rambler...………. gone and nearly forgotten. Ford,Chrysler and GM are still making millions of quality ,safe cars.

Re: American Motors Cars

Whatever you say, Don.

Re: American Motors Cars

I posted with intentions of telling about my buddies grimlin.he was working at a autp body shop as a teenager and got a chance to buy a grimlin for 15 bucks..a limb had fell across the roof..he cut the top off doing a very nice job,painted it bright yellow then painted flowers on it and made a mount between the seats to put a very large colorful beach umbrella..that thing turned lots of heads making a really cool beach buggy...wish i could find it today and restore it.i have a few pictures some where but too many years have passed and i cant find them now.i think you guys would enjoy them

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account