Re: Rollins vs. Stroman @ clash of champions

Brad William /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

With respect, honestly, I hope this topic veers occasionally into the entertainment factor of this sport. I wanted to put sport in quotes but im earnestly attempting respect.

I get it on some level. But that understanding is never very clear. A few people's suspicions not withstanding, the outcome of any baseball game, tennis match, or Olympic wrestling meet is never predetermined. The players don't bat, and catch, or serve and return, a pretend foam rubber ball in an exciting form of pantomime. Maybe if they did their viewership would soar for all I know. I doubt it, but any more I shouldn't be surprised.

Help me. I enjoy well acted fight in an action movie with Eastwood or Chan as much as anyone else. I enjoy it despite even knowing that it's blocked out, well rehearsed, and the winner has already been decided well a head of time. "Willing suspension of disbelief" is the film nerds term for it. It's up to the skill of the director and actors, writers and crew to induce that in you. But it's a movie. It's an act. Sports exhibitions and movies are both forms of entertainment. How is it that pro wrestling successfully blurs the the difference for so many people.

If I were in a room with a dozen others watching a Clint eastwood every which way is loose barfight and we were all enjoying it...one thing. In the same situation if I were out of my seat, waving my arms and screaming excitedly at the actors, as if I had no real clue who would win, everyone would think I was fucking nuts. But with pro wrestling I find that turned upside down. I'm the only guy in the room, sitting, while everyone else is standing shouting and waving at the actors as if they had no clue that the result was a fix, and im left to think they all may be a bit.... but I'm aiming at respectful here.

What dont I understand here.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account