porsche 944?

scooped this '83 944 yesterday for 600 buckaroos

figure worst case i should be able to make a few hundy off it just by cleaning it. been sitting in an enclosed trailer for 5 years. passed inspection in 2012, then something happened to the engine and she locked up, sold to my neighbor in 2013 who planned to 350 swap it -___________- but never got around to it

i'll put marvels in and do the timing belt. see what i cant figure out. 78k oem miles, cleans up well. paint is in great shape and there's 0 rust! clean title too

3 pics, barn (trailer) find condition. then after a wash, then after a quick wax

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Re: porsche 944?

Nice score! Always liked the 944, if you get it running its probably worth a few K.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Thats the poor mans Porsche, but still a decent looking car and you got one that has a lot of potential. Like already stated, once running its probably worth a few thousand $$$. Regardless, i bet you could part it out and make money off it if worse came to worse.

Lifan swap, ftw

The 944 can be a fun car. DON'T pop the head unless you really need to or the cost for gaskets and small parts will run the bank way up. You know if you fix it up and give it to the wife she will forget all the bad things you've ever done.

Andrew Squiggman /

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thats the poor mans Porsche, but still a decent looking car and you got

> one that has a lot of potential. Like already stated, once running its

> probably worth a few thousand $$$. Regardless, i bet you could part it

> out and make money off it if worse came to worse

Poor man's Porsche was the 924. Not the 944

i thought the poor mans porsche was the mazda fc rx7 ? hahahaha i kid i kid

Overpriced Parts /

Nice find !

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Poor man's Porsche was the 924. Not the 944

Id say the 924 or 944 are in the beater Porsche class compared to like a 911. Im not hating on it at all, i think he got an awesome deal. But being real about that car, its only around and cool because it says Porsche, otherwise the majority of those would have been crushed with a bunch of 80's Camaros & Fiero's years ago. Slap a chevy sign on it and watch the value plummet.(edited)

No way is the 944 the poor mans porsche

that term was used mostly by the anti-water cooled crowd who looked down on a Porsche that didnt have its engine hanging out over it's ass end

except these same guys looked down on the 912 and 914

basically, if you didnt have enough scratch for a 356 or 911, you were a pleb.

air cooled 911s are a delight to drive (newer ones are kinda boring) and if you get the chance, do it.

But tbh, the most fun I've ever had in a Porsche was in an old faded green 914.

You can do a lot to a 944 and make it screaming meany but the cost can get up there fast.

Oh, and the '75 911 turbo was pulling 4.9 0-60 times.

Down to the lefthand side ignition, these were first and foremost cars built to be raced and not just to be looked at.

videotogif_2019.09.03_16.02.15.gif

> ..... poop Wrote:

> Oh, and the '75 911 turbo was pulling 4.9 0-60 times.

>

> Down to the lefthand side ignition, these were first and foremost cars

> built to be raced and not just to be looked at.

The yuppie killer. The boost would kick in and the rich yuppies wouldn't have any ideal about driving out of oversteer.

Fix it, drive it, have fun with it, sell it, make some money or keep it and spend money.(edited)

The Fuchs wheels are worth more than you paid for the car. Nice score. I have a Black on Black 83. Yeah its a 944 but it still handles like a Porsche. Timing belt most likely slipped and you have internal engine damage but I'm not trying to be a negative Ned about it. Good luck, just realize you might have a nice parts car on your hands.

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> The Fuchs wheels are worth more than you paid for the car. Nice score. I

> have a Black on Black 83. Yeah its a 944 but it still handles like a

> Porsche. Timing belt most likely slipped and you have internal engine

> damage but I'm not trying to be a negative Ned about it. Good luck, just

> realize you might have a nice parts car on your hands.

appreciate the input!

i'd love to keep it but i have a r32 gtr and f20 rx7 and building a model a rat rod, so im good on the car front.

lol! my dad called it the dentist killer!

ive never driven a first gen Turbo but by all accounts its an unforgiving demonic piece of engineering sent from hell

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> > ..... poop Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Oh, and the '75 911 turbo was pulling 4.9 0-60 times.

>

> >

>

> > Down to the lefthand side ignition, these were first and foremost cars

>

> > built to be raced and not just to be looked at.

>

> The yuppie killer. The boost would kick in and the rich yuppies wouldn't

> have any ideal about driving out of oversteer.

honestly, if youre just trying to make some scratch, contact the PCA Potomac Region and post an ad either on their site or put one up in the Panorama magazine the PCA puts out, its national and exactly the demographic you wanna sell it to.

Norris is right, the rims are worth $$ and even if you remove them you have a perfectly good SCCA car that someones gonna drop/swap the engine and suspension anyway in order to stay competitive in that car's class

Thats a GREAT score for 600

And be careful, once you start that timing belt adventure. You're gonna think you're almost done and realize "shit, that wasnt even the timing belt".

It will consume you.(edited)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Thats a GREAT score for 600

Agreed

And be careful, once you start that timing belt adventure it's like Wonka's factory.

Sounds like the general consensuses is part that puppy out!

the timing belt isnt where you think it is and besides, when those fail, they REALLY fail.

My brother has an R32. If you got one of those bad boys the 944 would be underwhelming for you anyways. Hate to say it but you got it for 600 for a reason. Trust me you probably don't want to open that can of worms. All good advice so far.

ive been doing some research on the Fuch wheels, i owe ya a beer! ...or 5!

peep this set (granted staggered) on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-porsche-fuchs-wheels/

need to figure out what size i have and get the part number(s)

I think i'd like to confirm that it was the timing belt that broke or skipped rather then maybe just the balance shaft belt? regardless, will pickup some junk wheels to put on and list on some of the local PCoA sites. it's a dumb clean shell, worth all of $1k if not more imo and from everything else i've read like you all said, the timing belt is a pita

I'll take A Guiness, haha. Yeah if it were me I would try to find a runner all roasted out and do an engine swap. It's not the timing belt it's what happens when it goes. Just add it all up. Timing/ balance Kit, seals, water pump, oil cooler seals, head gasket, valve job....not to mention what's your time worth.

And yeah the purists may look down on the 944 but when it comes to parts and labor it's definitely still a Porsche.

Don't have the Fuchs on mine..I have a set of flawless 17" turbo twists that I have been offered 2k for...it does look like a pretty clean car. How is the interior? Stick or auto?

Pretty similar situation with mine oddly enough. Belt went and did a number on the top end. Bottom end looked o.k. but I didnt want to risk it. The guy I picked it up from had it at a shop all torn down. He was already 6k into the car and had a redone head,new clutch,bunch of electrical,fuel pump,other random stuff, but still a basket case needing complete reassembly and the shop wasn't gauranteeing no bottom end damage. Wife said it would be her or the car. I found an 87 924s that the guy had just done a ton of work on, nice runner, body was pretty roasted out and interior was completely shot, think I paid 700 bucks for the car. Swapped the drivetrain into the 944. It worked out pretty well in the end.

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> Pretty similar situation with mine oddly enough. Belt went and did a

> number on the top end. Bottom end looked o.k. but I didnt want to risk

> it. The guy I picked it up from had it at a shop all torn down. He was

> already 6k into the car and had a redone head,new clutch,bunch of

> electrical,fuel pump,other random stuff, but still a basket case needing

> complete reassembly and the shop wasn't gauranteeing no bottom end

> damage. Wife said it would be her or the car. I found an 87 924s that

> the guy had just done a ton of work on, nice runner, body was pretty

> roasted out and interior was completely shot, think I paid 700 bucks for

> the car. Swapped the drivetrain into the 944. It worked out pretty well

> in the end.

how hard was the swap?

my interior is in pretty great condition! she's a manual :)

if i could have under $2k into the car total to either keep and drive or sell for $3500 or so, i'd be happy. i just engine swapped my s10's 2.5L bc it spun a bearing. we have an engine lift, 4post lift and every tool (okay maybe not the fancy porsche specific tools) you'd find in a normal commercial garage - so i feel confident i could probably do it

I'm sure you could handle it. Only difference from your average engine swap is the torque tube deal. I did it 12 years ago now but don't remember it being any more difficult than any other engine swap I've had to do. No special tools required.

agree with Norris 100%

im also pretty sure you can handle the wrenching no problem

id say do it but try to scope out the parts first, like norris said, it can get not-cheap VERY quickly

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account