Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

I needed an NTE replacement color demodulator for my old zenith color tv. They had it, and pretty much everything I would go there for. Caps, resistor's, all the nte stuff blah blah..

But damn! That place is wiped, it reminds me of an old chain called six star in the 90s. Whole isles were empty...No One in the parking lot. Fucking deserted.

I know brick and mortar stores are closing, I was near tears when toys r us shut down. But man..Im just going to have to build up my parts supply...

Looks like my days of taking a Saturday to drive to Fry's in Renton, stock up for my current project and eat Frisco freeze on the way home are coming to an end...

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Frys in Indy has been the same way for 5-6 years. I dont know how they keep the doors open.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

I hate I hate I hate Fry's. Fry's is a four letter word that starts with a F.

F___ fill in the blanks.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Ive never heard of Frys before, but i know all the radio shacks are gone in my area. Beyond Micro Center mall i wouldnt know where to go to get electrical gear.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Beyond Micro Center mall i wouldnt know where to go to get

> electrical gear.

I'll let you in on a little secret known as "the internet" i am told you can buy pretty much everything on that mysterious place.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Beyond Micro Center mall i wouldnt know where to go to get

>

> > electrical gear.

>

> I'll let you in on a little secret known as "the internet" i am told you

> can buy pretty much everything on that mysterious place.

The what, what kind of witchcraft are you pushing.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I'll let you in on a little secret known as "the internet" i am told you can buy pretty much everything on that mysterious place.

Well you dont say!

Dude i buy like most my stuff online however when your deep into a project and you just need that one piece to finish it but you have to wait a week to get a part it just sucks. I needed a certain kind of capacitor the other day but couldnt find it anywhere locally.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'll let you in on a little secret known as "the internet" i am told you

> can buy pretty much everything on that mysterious place.

>

> Well you dont say!

>

> Dude i buy like most my stuff online however when your deep into a

> project and you just need that one piece to finish it but you have to

> wait a week to get a part it just sucks. I needed a certain kind of

> capacitor the other day but couldnt find it anywhere locally.

I'll let you in on a little secret known as Amazon Prime. Always next day instead of weeks.(edited)

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I'll let you in on a little secret known as Amazon Prime. Always next day instead of weeks.

I rarely find Amazon cheaper than Ebay tho, so my cheap self goes with saving money over shaving a day or two off shipping. Besides, im lucky to get a couple hours a week to work on anything, so next day shipping normally is still too late for me.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'll let you in on a little secret known as Amazon Prime. Always next

> day instead of weeks.

>

> I rarely find Amazon cheaper than Ebay tho, so my cheap self goes with

> saving money over shaving a day or two off shipping. Besides, im lucky

> to get a couple hours a week to work on anything, so next day shipping

> normally is still too late for me.

Time=money, money=time

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Witches, witches. Your all witches, go back to the depth of hell from what you came

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Fry's was the SHIT back in the late 90s

we never had one closeby but i was on business once (in Dallas i think) and the Fry's there had a gigantic UFO crashing into is front facade

anyway, all weve got near us now is MicroCenter which im pretty sure only exists because of its within walking distance of MIT

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Witches, witches. Your all witches, go back to the depth of hell from

> what you came

*You're* = you are, which is the contraction of both words

Your = possessive, as in your world

Yore = The past of long ago.

You're living in your world of yore.(edited)

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Yea just get that stuff sent to an amazon drop box in the stadium district and get your frisco freeze on doggy. Prime now delivers there in 2 hours.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

I know it is hard to believe, but some people like going to stores, I buy stuff on the internet, as it is usually cheaper, but I hate waiting for it, yes even a day. I like to take it home with me. Never heard of Fry's, but sure do miss Radio Shack. We have a place called Ax-man surplus, super cool place, only issue is the goods are totally random, never know from day to day what they have, but super cool to browse, (in person, not on your cursed phone) but I know that is not what people these days seem to enjoy.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jeff Parr Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Witches, witches. Your all witches, go back to the depth of hell from

>

> > what you came

>

> *You're* = you are, which is the contraction of both words

>

> Your = possessive, as in your world

>

> Yore = The past of long ago.

>

> You're living in your world of yore.

Smart ass lol

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I know it is hard to believe, but some people like going to stores, I

> buy stuff on the internet, as it is usually cheaper, but I hate waiting

> for it, yes even a day. I like to take it home with me. Never heard of

> Fry's, but sure do miss Radio Shack. We have a place called Ax-man

> surplus, super cool place, only issue is the goods are totally random,

> never know from day to day what they have, but super cool to browse, (in

> person, not on your cursed phone) but I know that is not what people

> these days seem to enjoy.

I enjoy buying in person too. But overhead inflates off the shelf prices. You can't have both.

Frys was like a radio shack and best buys combined. You name it they had it.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Jeff Parr Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Witches, witches. Your all witches, go back to the depth of hell

> from

>

> >

>

> > > what you came

>

> >

>

> > *You're* = you are, which is the contraction of both words

>

> >

>

> > Your = possessive, as in your world

>

> >

>

> > Yore = The past of long ago.

>

> >

>

> > You're living in your world of yore.

>

> Smart ass lol

Thank you, I pride myself in it.

Carry on everyone.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

I understand how pricing works..lol, and if the difference is not tremendous I will pay a little extra to be able to get it now, I don't buy much new anyway, but where I have saved the most with on-line shopping is with auto parts, it is amazing the difference, just don't need it today! :) Fry's sounds like a cool place.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I know it is hard to believe, but some people like going to stores, I

> buy stuff on the internet, as it is usually cheaper, but I hate waiting

> for it, yes even a day. I like to take it home with me.

Same here, i only buy moped parts and clothes online because of availability or price.

I'll gladly pay 10/20% more at a store to have something directly and not to have to deal with the shitty postal service.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

I will as well, it is hard to have larger items delivered to my apt, it is a security building so hard for them to get in, Fed-ex et al, the postal service can, but then items are left at your door or worse yet on the front steps of building, I have large items shipped to my job as we have a loading dock and are open 20 hrs a day. Of course this is not an option for many. I have never bought clothing on-line, I can't imagine buying without trying it on first? Sizes run all over the place between different brands.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Jimmy Cincinnati /

anyway, all weve got near us now is MicroCenter which im pretty sure only exists because of its within walking distance of MIT

The MicroCenter here always seems to be busy, but its also like 20 minutes from my house so darting over there is not a quick affair when i only have a couple hours to burn on this project.

I'll gladly pay 10/20% more at a store to have something directly and not to have to deal with the shitty postal service.

10 or 20% would be cool however most shops are like 40-50% over online costs. Between Rock Auto & Ebay I can crush auto shop prices most the time by like 50-60%.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

^ yep, Partsgeek.com too.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

I goto microcenter a lot when dicking with little electronic Rpi projects and stuff. it's a lot easier to hold the stuff in hand, actually see difference between 2.5in vs 4 inch screen or observe the quality etc. also everythings generally cheaper there and free instant shipping. but it's a pain in the butts to get there, I cant usually spare an extra half hour on my ride home so alotta stuff gets ordered online anyway

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The MicroCenter here always seems to be busy, but its also like 20

> minutes from my house so darting over there is not a quick affair when i

> only have a couple hours to burn on this project.

20 minutes is outside your definition of quick?

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

ive collected parts for years. curb side electronics are free.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Jimmy Cincinnati /

20 minutes is outside your definition of quick?

When i only have like and hour and a half to work on something, jumping in the car to do a 1 hour round trip does not really seem like a quick trip to me.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

Opinions on travel time are all relative... justifiably, 20 mins may be considered a long haul for folks who are downtown or located near the stuff n things... butt for me it literally takes 20 mins to get down the driveway. Flipping hour and a half to get the kids to school and me back home! Yay mountain life :flexemoji::flexemoji:

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

For the record it's like a 65 Mile drive for me from Kitsap. I looked forward to the drive on my very boring, but very relaxing days off...old broken shit to fix? Check! Time alone driving? Check! Shitty food that's gonna kill me? Check!

But man, I loved this place years ago. Yes, I can order everything online. But it was the 45 min I'd spend looking at part numbers and buying shit that I forgot I needed that made it worthwhile. . .

Also bought a shit load of laserdiscs at Fry's after pioneer quit making them and they were cheaper than DVDs.

Re: Holy shit, I went to a Fry's electronics

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yea just get that stuff sent to an amazon drop box in the stadium

> district and get your frisco freeze on doggy. Prime now delivers there

> in 2 hours.

That might actually be an option for some stuff. But most of the components I'm buying aren't even on Amazon.....

That being said I'd love to be able to buy vacuum tubes on prime. That's never gonna happen tho

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account