OT car coolant question....

Coolant is coolant right? I mean if you don't need Dex-cool or some Subaru models need a special blend or something, but for an older car any 50/50 blend should do right? I ask as I'm going to change coolant in my Ford, and it takes 3 1/2 gallons or so, so for buying coolant at the grocery store...no shit they sell it....for $10.00 a gallon is far cheaper than buying it at the auto parts store at any where from 14.00-19.00 per gallon. Thanks!

Re: OT car coolant question....

As long as it's a good brand it should do fine. Just stay away from bobs super duper brand.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Just use milk

Angry Hipster /

Make sure that the cheap coolant is full strength before attempting to mix it 50/50. The 50/50 predilluted coolant is generally cheaper.

And of course, make sure you use distilled water too(edited)

Should have clarified, it is 50/50 mix already, sorry.

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just use milk

Ha ha, ;) But it is really a good comparison, go to the grocery there is the store brand, cheapest, and then name brand, 2-3 dollars more, are there "kemps" cows and"store brand" cows, of course not, price is determined by the jug it goes in, I'm assuming coolant is the same way, again assuming you don't need some specialty mix per factory spec, (Dex-cool etc).

No,coolant can be different in quality. Where you live,you should be buying full strength and mixing 60% antifreeze VOLUME not weight, to 40% distilled water,Stephen. Buy prestone or zerex for good quality and longer water pump life.

^ I've run 50/50 forever, and last winter when the actual temp was -26F all three cars started and came to temp fine, I think 50/50 is good to -34...if it's that cold I'm not bothering with any of my vehicles! ;) If I had some $ to waste I would take the no name stuff and say Prestone, (what I have used for yrs) to a lab down on the U and have it analyzed, I would bet they are the same stuff. Prestone used to make a water-pump lube back in the day, wonder if that is still a thing? Not seen it in a while. To all who mentioned it, when using and mixing my own coolant, I have always used distilled water. Thanks for the opinions, and for weighing in.

So jimmy john bobs super duper antifreeze isn't the best to use?

No idea, never seen that brand...lol, but going to try the "homebest" I really saw at the grocery store....10 a gallon vs 18.99 a gallon.... I can't believe its that much different. Cripes, I remember when 11.99 a gallon came about...I did not used to keep cars very long, so I never changed the stuff, but I have some keepers now, so doing maintenance.

What kind of Ford do you have that it takes almost 15 litres of coolant? A normal car takes about 5 litres (just a bit more than a gallon)

Crown Victoria. A "small" V8, 4.6 litre. 284 or something odd for cubic inches. I miss my '78 Oldsmobile '98 recency, held more than that! :) 403 cubic inch displacement. A magnificent engine, running strong at 300k when I was t-boned by a lorry, drove it home and sold the engine/trans. The Crown Victoria/Merc Grand Marquis are good for an easy 250-350 thousand miles if well kept up, some even seeing 500k. The rust will eat mine before that, but I should see 250k. LOVE this car, like driving ones couch. :) My work/winter car is a '94 Toyota Tercel, it may hold a gallon or so...little itty bitty thing, but a VERY well put together auto, just wish it had a manual transmission as my previous one did. 5.6 quarts of trans fluid. and only 2.9 quarts of engine oil! I love cars, have owned close to 100 in my life, buying/selling/tradeing.

Here they are.

001.jpg
077.jpg

Love the rims on that pimpmobile! But still a 4.6, you would be broke within a week here.

Ha! They are wheel covers, underneath are 15" steel rims, old school. I'm getting pie pan wheel covers, think NYPD Blue first season. I hate those wheel covers, they are suppsosed to have centers on them that say Ford, they are going in the garbage. :) Where you live, I could not get that sled down many of the streets, and yeah, in town mpg is about 12, oddly, she see's about 29-30 on the highway at 70mph with the ac on, this one was not a police car, so has a higher ratio in the rear end. Police issue has a positive traction rear end with a much lower ratio, faster takeoff, but max about 24 mpg on highway. I have the single exhaust too, so it is strangled, dual's are it its future! I have replaced the springs and shocks with better than new, doing the coolant and an oil change before the snow flies, and then she will sit, keeps the rust to a dull roar. Only 169'000 on the clock. The little baby Toyota is surprisingly bad on mpg in town, about 20, :/ my manual version of the same car got close to 30 in city driving, on the highway the baby see's 32 mpg, even with the automatic, the manual saw about 39... If I ever get to Europe, I want to check out where you live, can't bring my cars of course, but would for sure rent a bicycle or a moped. I bike too. :) Slow as I'm old...but I like to ride. Funny you called it a pimpmobile, in the US pimp's roll Escalades, 4dr sedans are for old men, I'm an old guy! :) I'm really glad you are on this site to give us a perspective of the rest of the world. Be well!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^ I've run 50/50 forever, and last winter when the actual temp was -26F

> all three cars started and came to temp fine, I think 50/50 is good to

> -34...if it's that cold I'm not bothering with any of my vehicles! ;) If

> I had some $ to waste I would take the no name stuff and say Prestone,

> (what I have used for yrs) to a lab down on the U and have it analyzed,

> I would bet they are the same stuff. Prestone used to make a water-pump

> lube back in the day, wonder if that is still a thing? Not seen it in a

> while. To all who mentioned it, when using and mixing my own coolant, I

> have always used distilled water. Thanks for the opinions, and for

> weighing in.

No, they aren't the same stuff,just close. Like gasoline, the additives make the difference. Antifreeze gets weak and the PH changes. I change the backhoe's antifreeze every 5 or 6 years even though I put few hours on it. I run 60-65% antifreeze no matter what.

We've seen 38 below zero in Southern Ohio and I've seen antifreeze turn to slush in the radiators.

I only use Motorcraft antifreeze in the 2 Lincoln LSes and the Mustang I own,because of the plastic parts and Ford's recommendation.

I put the old green stuff in the Aerostar and F-250.

Interesting info Don, thanks. I think my '97 Crown Vic is old enough for the "old green stuff" Like your F-250 it is old school, (why I have it) :) The only time I have seen 50/50 go to slush, and that IS a real thing, was 20 odd yrs ago when we saw -40 actual temp, my Dodge Omni miser edition started but the engine was so far from the fire wall it came to temp but the heater core lines were so far from the core they did not thaw out, engine was up to temp, I let it run for a half hour before leaving for work, but no heat in the cabin, thought I Iost a frost plug, it was the 2.5 feet long heater core hoses, took a hair dryer to them and it opened up, had great heat. let that car idle 9 hrs at work on my shift, burned about a half gallon of fuel, was toasty warm inside when i made my way home. $100 dollar beater. Drove it 3 yrs. 1.7litre VW 4cyl, only avail in the miser edition of the Omni. 4spd stick Bought it for 100 dollars and a battery. :) Had to buy it only had a motorcycle at the time and it was november...I think the cheap stuff will be fine in the Crown, if not I will eat my hat.

I never go cheap on anything that can ruin an engine. I love engines too much.LOL!

^ a good point, I run Mobil One oil, motorcraft filter, when trans oil is changed a motorcraft filter will be used, the coolant in there is nasty, when i got the car 3 yrs ago I had to swap out the thermostat, and it was gross looking, it still heats up fine, but it needs changing, 3 almost four years 6k miles, I don't drive much. I think my choice will save me $40 bucks and keep her going. Engine it tight at 169,00 uses no coolant, burns some oil as the pan rusted out and it was run low on oil before I got it and had a new pan installed. uses a quart every 3k or so. I can live with that. I love this car, so I can deal with some extra expense to keep it going, far cheaper than buying new! I'm very comfortable in my full frame ride. :)

The 4.6 is a great engine and the Crown Vic/Marquis has always been top of the line. 30 mpg on trips can be had with a well-tuned engine.

Just put some extra weight in the trunk, great tires, and keep a full tank when in the snow.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Dexcool is fine for winterizing the toilet at the hunting cabin, but I wouldn’t put it in an actual vehicle.

i have been buying the orange 'all makes and models' stuff for awhile now.

the dexcool is only a problem if it gets mixed with green, that starts a reaction that causes the corrosion, the horror stories you see are usually people that topped off a dexcool system with the wrong shit.

the green can cause galvanic corrosion in engines with steel head gaskets (stainless) against aluminum heads and an iron block. I'm pretty sure the 4.6 is aluminum head in those cars so you might want to call the ford dealer or someone and double check.

i don't really understand all the ins and outs of the different coolants but the orange is compatable with green so i use that in stuff like motorcycles whereas i stick to green in my big old iron engines like my 351 ford van.

yes as long as its an old car the 50/50 mix is good or just buy the full strength green stuff and mix it with water yourself.

Dexcool is for newer gm cars probably from mid 90s on and is orange. There is also a blue coolant which is for german cars and difficult to get which is definately not for your car.

^ Thanks all, got the green stuff, house brand, 50/50 mix in the jug. While this is an old school car, it has no radiator cap, f-in sealed system, to drain you remove the return heater hose from the block, open the radiator. drain, close valve, fill at the block, until it slops out, replace hose, run engine until hot then add at the overflow bottle until full, what a bother. Biggest pain is to collect all 3.5 gallons and dispose of it! :) Back in the day you drove to the end of the driveway, opened the radiator cap, and the drain valve, stuffed the garden hose in the radiator and started her up, ran the car to temp, (heater core on) and waited till the water ran clear, shut down, waited for the water to run out, closed valve, filled radiator until full, left cap off, started car, watched when level went down, filled and filled again. Put cap on and done. Now we have to take the coolant in for disposal, or face a fine :/ IF you get caught of course... ;/

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account