Re: Help me find my dream car

You need an Eagle Summit

Pushrod Fifty /

I'm small enough, for a moped even.

> Sodom Hussanal Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> http://classiccardb.com/uploads/postfotos/1994-eagle-summit-4wd-3-door-wagon-2.JPG

>

> You need an Eagle Summit

These are cool, if you can find parts....for comic strip buffs I think this was the car they were trying to depict in the early yrs of "Baby Blues".

> John Maxson Wrote:

> I'm small enough, for a moped even.

I found that in sitting in a first gen Miata I was staring right at the top of the windshield frame, and I'm not that tall, 5'11. Shifter felt like a tooth pick... :) Neat car, like a reliable/roadworthy MG.

> Jim Jones Wrote:

> > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have a crappy 97 mk3 jetta gl right now. it's manual, which is nice

>

> > and it's decently small and efficient, i can put a kid in it

>

> > occasionally, and it was sure as hell cheap. But it has the sunroof,

>

> > electric, with automatic shutting when you turn the car off. sometimes

>

> > it randomly goes crazy and decides the closed sunroof isn;t closed,

> and

>

> > tries to close it, by opening it? I dunno but i've caught it trying to

>

> > open the sunroof as i walk away and other times have come outta work

> to

>

> > a car full of snow.

>

> >

>

> > Still, i like the sunroof. it's awesome when it's awesome.

>

> >

>

> > It had also almost definitely clogged, i dunno if it's as common with

>

> > the 90's ones as it was earlier, but when i got this car it had no

>

> > headliner. my very strong suspicion is the sunroof leaked until it

>

> > soaked the headliner and got moldy or gross.

>

> When the SunRoof is Closed (car off) - Can you pull the SunRoof Fuse ?

>

> Can you see any of the wires Goin to the SunRoof ? -- if so Just

> disconnect it.

>

> (I'm guessin you probably already tried that stuff)

I do that yeah. conveniently, as mentioned above, there's no headliner so i just disconnect the motor if it's goin crazy. problem is most of the time it works and i just leave it, and sometimes it just goes crazy when i'm not around.

It also sometimes decides the door is open when it's not, or that the key is in the ignition when it's not. so if i miss that it's still trying to alert me to take my key after i've parked it'll drain it's battery dinging at nobody.

I;ve had a few euro cars from the 90s, lotsa weird electrical issues. I had a 740 volvo that'd blow a fuse very dramatically - like smoke, and it was the fuse for the blinkers and power windows. so i'd be stuck in the car full of smoke (well, not full but it smelled bad), unable to open the windows, unable to use blinkers or flashers and unable to put the windows down for hand signals.

The 80's one were fine and the 90s japanese imports pretty great (except for a shit tercel I had that tried to hang on to a carbureted engine til '93 and make up for the emissions with 70-something individual vacuum lines. FML)

OOOOH EAGLE SUMMIT

my dad had one, that was the car we had from like probably 94-98? not the eagle version, it was the colt vista wagon but pretty much the same mistubishi chariot

I remember it having a lot of problems and I also remember thinking it was real sweet car. maybe that's part of my love of tall wagons.

Like growing up my dad had a late 70s or early 80s civic hatchback that smelled like mold and was awesome, then after he divorced my mom he wound up with my grandparents colt vista, after that we had a string of 90's caravan style minivans and now he's had an XC90 the past few years. Scatter in a few other trash cars tractors and trucks.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Flip up headlights are coo) when they work

It's more fun when only one comes up! ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

The later built in ones take away the European style.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Vaccuum powered off the carb...

Awesome like vacuassist brakes or windshield wipers I look 4 these things in modern cars phnumatics notta one they conspired to end it so the future of the electro petroleum industry was assured.

WW2 was a smokescreen. It was all about mopeds Hitler was obsessed since 1938 when he was presented a 1938 Bismarck a solex like ped.

Japan Italy Holland Austria Czechoslovakia....

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Vaccuum powered off the carb...

>

> Awesome like vacuassist brakes or windshield wipers I look 4 these

> things in modern cars phnumatics notta one they conspired to end it so

> the future of the electro petroleum industry was assured.

>

> WW2 was a smokescreen. It was all about mopeds Hitler was obsessed since

> 1938 when he was presented a 1938 Bismarck a solex like ped.

>

> Japan Italy Holland Austria Czechoslovakia....

That Nutzi , wanted to `take over the WORLD', like the cartoon mouse.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The truth is always stranger than fiction. ...

Que Hitler's 1938 Bismarck... Exibit a.

Chev HHR Panel, forgot about these things, just saw one on cl, prob could get a moped in it, but on it's side, :/ but for uber weird and useful I vote this, putting it on my list of shit to own someday, flat black it...looks like nothing else on the road, I like that. :)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file.php/1/100785/Hitler_s_moped.jpg he

> was a closet scooter guy evil mofo.

A nice deep pothole would've taken care of him...LOL!

Cheap, small, efficient, and interesting? Check. Car? Not quite but, here goes...

I recently bought one of these deathtraps, here's it when I picked it up from port:

IMG_2019-12-16_09-54-50.jpeg

Got it up at my friend's workshop atm while I fix a few things, here's it with the hood off:

IMG_2020-02-10_11-18-45.jpeg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I love it....

Asian Indian?

Msrp?

did you buy a samurai yet ?

> Lia the Raven Wrote:

> Cheap, small, efficient, and interesting? Check. Car? Not quite but,

> here goes...

>

> I recently bought one of these deathtraps, here's it when I picked it up

> from port:

>

> Got it up at my friend's workshop atm while I fix a few things, here's

> it with the hood off:

> >

Nice, keeps you in the motorcycle class right? Not sure how well it would work on a muddy road....but cool as hell anyway!

You can live in that thing, Lia.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> I love it....

>

> Asian Indian?

>

> Msrp?

Canadian! With a Korean engine - or rather my 2002 is the first model year to have the Korean engine. Earlier models had a Ford... and they didn't update the chassis immediately, so half the fasteners on mine are American and half are metric

They cost like 30k new, but you can pick them up at auction for under 1k. Mine was 3k but in better shape than a decommissioned unit being auctioned off.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Nice, keeps you in the motorcycle class right? Not sure how well it

> would work on a muddy road....but cool as hell anyway!

Yes, it is registered as a motorcycle! Although I'm having to swap out the steering wheel for a set of handlebars in order to drive it on my motorcycle licence. Got a set of Streetmate controls I'm gonna wire up.

It does *not* like my potholed muddy road, but part of that may be because the forks need rebuilding. Or replacing, I'm thinking of getting some longer shocks for better ground clearance.

> Peter Fondue Wrote:

> You can live in that thing, Lia.

Plan is to replace the weird trunk thing with something like a truck cap (which will require some ducting as the mid-engine vents up out the middle) and lengthen the rear by a foot (which will be ridiculously easy as this thing consists of flat aluminium panels bolted to a tubular steel frame). Then I can curl up in the back to sleep if I have to.

^ Pics of inside? Auto or manual?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It looks as though when rebuilding you could make it amphibious......

Slap a pair of implellors that pinch the drive wheel rubber boot and seal everything. Drive to California lolz.

> Chris Szuba Wrote:

> did you buy a samurai yet ?

I already have one yea, it's basically the only real answer that I could realistically obtain.

That trike thing tho. where do you get one of those? do love.

> John Maxson Wrote:

> I think a Miata would be cool, a stick with a hard top. An early one

> with the pop up lights.

Get a z4 instead. Or mr2 spyder

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ Pics of inside? Auto or manual?

4-speed automatic. Here's some pics from before I bought it, when I had a friend go test drive it for me:

vlcsnap-2019-10-02-22h44m17s306.jpeg
vlcsnap-2019-10-02-22h46m26s545.jpeg

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> It looks as though when rebuilding you could make it amphibious......

I had that thought, but it's anything but sealed. Rattles like a city bus. Especially given those sliding doors, it'd be a lot easier to do that to a real car.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> That trike thing tho. where do you get one of those? do love.

I got mine off craigslist, but police auctions are your best bet. They're used primarily as meter-maids, and then get auctioned off once they've served enough time to require maintenance or get vandalised. NYC gets a lot of them, mine is former LAPD.

Pete from Second Stroke recently did a review of them. His looks to be in way worse shape and doesn't have the cool sliding doors, but he also picked his up for 1/4 of what I paid.

(edited)

Very cool, automatic! Hundai makes these now?, interesting. I played with one yrs ago, but it had much smaller wheels, very easy to tip, this is what I wonder about on your muddy road, maybe put some short skis on the front corners so it does not dig in if it tips? The one I drove was a manual, sucked. Hard to believe it came all the way from NYC to Hawaii! I did not know they were still made/in use. How much does it weigh? I love it, keep us posted as you adapt it! :)

Hyundai just makes the engine, the body is made by one Westward Industries in Canada.

I'm guessing the one you used to have was a Cushman? But yeah, tipping... Not so much a problem on the muddy road as it is on our hairpins. The previous owner had ripped out the lateral thrust alarm and put in a clock, and I'm soooo glad I asked him to put the lateral thrust alarm back, it really helped me get a feel for driving it.

And no, it came from California. LAPD = Los Angeles Police Department. Over two grand to ship it over the ocean. Weighs about 1500 pounds.

Ah, did not get to the lapd part...still a really cool machine, are you able to get brakes and such for it? Any idea the top speed? You are right, the one I got to drive was a Cushman of some sort, looked a lot cooler than it was to drive/ride? But it had a back cargo compartment like you want to build, that part was cool.

Replacement parts are tricky, because the engine isn't used on any other US market vehicles. So, you either pay big bucks for "official" replacements, or you buy from overseas. I had to replace the air filter housing, ordered it from Korea pretty cheap, and then if you need english it was used in a UK city car.

With the governor, 40, without, supposedly they can do 70, more than fast enough for Maui. I got it up to 60 on the ride home from port, and yah, that was an... interesting ride. It's real squirrelly at speed, constantly swaying to and fro.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account