Re: Thinking about Air Cooled VWs... who’s got em?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice! Why the extra tank on the bug, just cuz you can or rally or? Super

> bug, and Honda!

Totally not a superbeetle

I know, was supposed to read "super cool bug" internetting from a phone sux, too small a screen for my old eyes, looks like a Herbie clone without the stripe?

The tank in it was a little rusty inside so I had this tank and decided to use it. Makes things a little more tidy and gonna mount the electric fuel pump to the aluminium cover. Got a disc kit I am getting ready to install on ot also. Made these early bumpers work on it also.

20191219_164633.jpg

Here's a better pic of my brownie before I sold it. Made the rack myself, lifted a bit with bfg ko2's still was running a stock injected 2.0 type 4 engine.

20200110_090011.jpg

^ love it! Like the light bar in the other pic better.

The bus in the other pic with the light bar is my buddy snax ' bus.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Wow, that's gorgeous

Traded this for the beetle. Realized I was never gonna get to fixing up the formula vee. I have way to many projects

20170729_151617.jpg

The bug I can run on the road everyday. The vee I was gonna autocross but never had the time to fix and get to events.

A few more of the vee

20190915_122534.jpg
20190915_122554.jpg

Gonna be a big weekend for the bug. Gonna drop the beam for a little patch repair .someone put shock tower patch pannel but did a shit job welding it on so I'm gonna finish the job. Since I got it out gonna install drop spindles with front disc setup. Gonna be nice with all new ball joints and tire rods. Also started tearing down one of the spare motors I have. Installed some new high performance pbr pistons.

20200130_214210.jpg

She is gonna look nice lower.

20200130_221853.jpg

Also got to finish welding up the new muffler. Should sound good. This is actually a two chamber muffler.

20200130_185527.jpg

My Westy. 1976

220E025A-99FD-4F55-A30D-F32630CAF34C.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

I just saw a lifted Syncro yestrerday with ARB bumpers and full length roof rack and it made me yearn.

Love the syncros. Got a buddy of mine who has a big lifted one. He works at another friend's shop that builds all kinds of crazy Van's here in maine. I was into vws pretty big for awhile and this is my first air cooler. I love the simplicity of these cars. I was into a1 and a2 style cars. Had a few pretty nice ones.

vacationland024-1.jpg

Bad pics but my 84 gti and an 81l model

Screenshot_2019-09-18-20-13-31-1.png

Screenshot_2019-09-18-20-09-55-1.png

I've had this 74 Ghia for 30 years.

FB_IMG_1582677155424.jpg

Nice ghia

> Mr. Pleasant Wrote:

> I've had this 74 Ghia for 30 years.

Wow, beautiful, it's nice to see one in good shape!

Got my rebuilt beam installed with new ball joints, sway bar bushings, shocks, and disc brake lowering kit. Almost ready to drop on the ground.

20200402_153908.jpg

Nice!

I had a 68 ghia coupe. Sold it when the wife got preggo with number 2.

It was my daily driver for 7 years.

Screenshot_20200404-183637_Instagram.jpg

^ That is absolutely beautiful, just blows my mind to see solid examples of these cars, they are all gone or in collectors garages here. :( You must really love your wife to have sold that... ;)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ That is absolutely beautiful, just blows my mind to see solid examples

> of these cars, they are all gone or in collectors garages here. :( You

> must really love your wife to have sold that... ;)

The engine was good but the body was fucked. My wife and I redid the interior down to the pans , upholstery and all.... it was a blast.

When the kids are older we are gonna get something similar and redo it together....

P.s. we live in a cul de sac with no garage so that poor ghia got hit 4 times!!!!

The engines and trans in air cooled were like mopeds or lawn mowers, stupid simple, just remember to adjust the valves, especially cyl 3, that one gets hot...the body's on the Ghia were leaded from the factory, a true work of art, but a BITCH to repair if hit, especially the nose. :/ But such a sexy car, unfortunately rust never sleeps, and they all went away here. You had the elegant bumpers.....that car makes me drool. :) Happy you got to own it. Kudos to Karmen Coach works, thank you for all you did, I had a '71 super convert, of all the 70 odd cars I have owned, that one was and will always be my favorite, simple, beautiful and so much of a joy to drive. Nothing like the computerized monstrosities that pass for cars today. It was not fast it was semi reliable, but I could always fix it, leaked oil like a sieve, my dad nicknamed it the Exxon Valdez, but it always ran, top down wind in the hair, cheap stereo, I was never happier with a car. I even soft seized it, the oil cooler seals went, locked up so tight it skidded the rear wheels, 'till I got the clutch in, let it cool added oil and went home to tear it apart. It had been an auto stick, what an abomination, but when swapped the clutch cable tube was welded into the tunnel, but they never added the rubber grommets on the ends, so I went through a cable a year until I learned that...new cars are "better" but no where near as fun, what with neutral safety switches, fuel injection, heaters, all the modern bs, but nowhere near as much fun as a manual stearing stick shifting ancient ride. If I lived in a dry state where they did not dump rock salt on the roads to combat the ice storms, I would daily a '70's air cooled bug. :) :) Seeing your's made me very happy.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account