Re: Thinking about Air Cooled VWs... who’s got em?

^ very nice, I never had dual carbs, single weber, I see the engine tin to body seal, awesome! :)

Yes very nice indeed. I'm jealous, looks like you got a pretty bombproof bus there. I sank a ton of money into my 79 before I basically gave it away for $700. I did dual Webers on my 72 but I'm not going crazy with the 1600 because I really want to put the type 4 in there eventually, unless I find a decent Bus shell first...

Thanks, I actually sold a 79 sunroof to fund this bus. At the time the 79 was a daily and the westy was just rescued from a field, when the 79 drove off I thought I fucked up. Now that I'm able to travel and not pay for a hotel it was the best decision I made. Camped in the 79 a couple times but even with the seat folded down my 6'2" self didnt fit comfortably.

I've always wanted to transplant the Westy interior into a sunroof....I don't care for the pop top...but never had a later model, hinged at the back vs front with the larger bed. Trivia thing, Westy was built on the sunroof body, measure the stand up area. It's all good, best thing is to build your own, like mopeds.

It's nice having a pop top in the summer, much cooler for camping. Also can escape the dog from stomping on me in the morning. Plus you can stand up when getting dressed.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I've always wanted to transplant the Westy interior into a sunroof....

> Westy was built on the sunroof body

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always wanted to convert my sunroof to a Westy

Had a chance 15 years ago to buy a complete interior bed, reverse seat, table, closet for $500. I passed :( Now just the beds sell for that much!

-Honest²

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 8.24.56 AM.png

^ BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :)

kevin smellaflange /

my '73 bug is my daily moped hanger...

IMG_20190924_142134.jpg

That moby is a basket case.

Man, just seeing a solid daily air-cooled bug makes me want one all over again, like mopeds, they are a sickness. :) The best kind, NOT sorry. Nice bug.

> The Dude Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's nice having a pop top in the summer, much cooler for camping. Also

> can escape the dog from stomping on me in the morning. Plus you can

> stand up when getting dressed.

If you put the screened windows from the westy in it you get plenty of ventilation, I would totally give a westy Vanagon a shot, over the Bay Windows, too narrow a track for my tastes anymore. I hated getting blown about on the highway by semi's, Vanagons track better, also the pop top hinged at the back is better, mine got lifted and tore loose the clamps for the rubber stays, and bent the f out of the supports and layed the roof half over the side on my '70 :( Semi passing me on a two lane highway at 70+, almost crashed out, had to take the support struts off and use snatch straps to hold the roof down until I got back home, tin tops for me. :) That incident tore the canvas too, very expensive repair, very lucky the fiberglass or whatever the pop tops are made of did not crack.

Wow fun thread. When my 8 year old turns about 13 or 14 I'm gonna get one to restore with him, trying to stay disciplined until then and resist the urge to buy one

You might want to start looking now, they are becoming more rare, and therefore expensive by the year, best bet is to get one from a dry state, people are not so enamored of them and the bodywork is intact.

Late model bays have the same sized pop top and bed size as a vanagon. With my wider stance it actually sits wided than a stock vanagon. Plus on a late bay you have the rear engine hatch and the opening above the engine to work on it so way easier to wrench on. This is a pic from tioga pass, 9000 feet above sea level, excellent camping.

20190830_125754.jpg

Great shot, love your rig, I just know I will never have the time/$ again to build such a thing, nor would owning one be practical where I live, but rock on! I loved mine when I had them, hard to find a more unique/durable and customize-able vehicle. :)

^ Can't take my eyes off that picture, if I could find one "built" like that I would spend the $ for it, but the Bay's are all gone for the most part here, there IS however a waterboxer Vanagon that I see in town, a window van, gutted inside, but sadly an automatic, (bleah) both in performance and repair costs...it was pretty solid when it showed up this summer, but even the few months of winter use here has the scrapes and seems starting to rust... :( :( My only Vanagon was an '80 air-cooled, factory gas heater I almost had running right...lol,( the heater) bus ran great after I ditched the fuel injection and put on the 2bbl weber and a non catalyst exhaust. Window van though, was searching for a westy interior before life happened to me and it...still hate myself for letting it slip away. Don't ever sell that thing man, they kind of become part of you. More photos would be nice, hint hint! :) I like the rear bumper/hitch combo, Rocky Mountain Motorworks issue? That rig is top notch, as long as you have her, you are truly "free". Enjoy. Oh, and I seem to remember the '80 still having the hatch over the engine, (inside the van) was this discontinued on the water cooled models? Where is my Bentley manual, I have to look now...these things are sooo addictive. ;) My memory is analog so I could be wrong about the hatch.

A few more pics, first one is Joshua tree it was hot as fuck until the sun went down in August. Second one is when we went into the blm desert if Arizona and my buddy snax got stuck, his isnt lifted like mine. Third is same desert at camp after a hard trail day and my previous co pilot, miss that pup.

20190824_181917.jpg
20190114_154007.jpg
20190113_173518.jpg

Wow, you had the two tone brown Sunroof, that was a special edition of some sort if I remember right, I always took the side door step off if I was going off highway, I never went into the desert though, just logging roads and some further off the beaten path campgrounds. Great pics!

I dunno if I mentioned it but theres a group around cleveland and sandusky that does an annual combi's on Kelly's event where a buncha dudes camp in VW's on Kelly's island in Lake Erie. Most of those fellas have mopeds that they cruise around the island, DosCycles was even a sponsor for their event

Just keeping the air-cooled VW thread alive. Here's a pic for Dan of my 72 'Vert engine bay (single port with dual Weber's) it's a driver. I was buffing another car nearby and sprayed compound all over it. Occupational hazard. Can't get a decent pic of the whole car at the moment, it's kind of buried.

20191219_204128.jpg

^ So beautifully simple! :)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wow, you had the two tone brown Sunroof, that was a special edition of

> some sort if I remember right, I always took the side door step off if I

> was going off highway, I never went into the desert though, just logging

> roads and some further off the beaten path campgrounds. Great pics!

My first bus was a 79 sunroof I rescued out of a field for 200 bucks. Did a ton of work on it and ended up selling it quite a long time later to fix my current bus. Sunroof was awesome apart from the bus being originally from Washington so had a rust ring around it and you would get a waterfall down your back coming to a stop if driving in the rain.

justin becker /

I've had a few over the years. Here's a couple

IMG_20180725_093448374_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180701_094200418_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180721_132013_385.jpg

justin becker /

Continued...

IMG_20180822_205739_535.jpg
IMG_3708.jpg

^ Nice, that vert is awesome!

Photo taken with a potato.

Screenshot_20200105-095620_Photos.jpg

Been awhile and not really into mopeds but got an air cooler

20200106_191151.jpg

Fun cars to do what I like with

20191219_171513.jpg

Still like small bikes 2

Polish_20191227_103632801.jpg

Nice! Why the extra tank on the bug, just cuz you can or rally or? Super bug, and Honda!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account