Re: Off topic car rant! WHY is a manual transmission car so hard to find?!?

That's the same guy who was bringing in all the cool Japan market Gyros? That truck is cool, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to drive it! :) Looks like the early Toyota vans we got here, but the stick shifts on them were on the floor, as nature intended! How's the Fox?

There are almost nothing but manual transmission cars here in Germany.

Everything from small commuters to family cars. Trucks and vans.

Because Manual transmissions are more reliable and MUCH SAFER. I will gladly argue that with anyone.

Germany has some laws and junk that rub me the wrong way. But they get driving right. Almost perfect.

Manual transmission gives the driver a better feel for the connection to the road. That is vital for driving crazy fast in the snow and rain. Which, they do routinely on the Autobahn.

Having your hands full and attention on operating the machine means you are forced to be more attentive to all aspects of driving. It is too difficult to text and drive while accelerating through an intersection if you are making gear changes.

I hate the “Man” taking away my choices and freedom. I know a guy with a new American spec Aldi. The automatic transmission had a fault. It shut down in a roundabout and could not be moved. He had to call for a tow and would have had to pay out the ass if the vehicle wasn’t under warranty. Fuck that shit.

I will only buy manual transmission cars. My wife drives a stick. My kids will be forced to drive stick if they ever want to drive before they move out.

American cars are only automatic because that’s, unfortunately, the primary market there. Ignorant, lazy, fat asses that want to play with their phone and shove French fries in their face while they run over pedestrians and pull out in front of MC riders killing them. Sliding off the road all winter making tow truck drivers rich. Living in fear of the day the designed obsolescence feature kicks in at less than 100K miles and costs $3-4 grand to get it bandaided back to working because ain’t no way in hell anyone can fix it.

Sorry for the long rant. I HATE automatics. It’s like a world where all films are replaced by reality shows. All food is microwave dinners. All music is that free shit on YouTube videos or commercial jingles.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That's the same guy who was bringing in all the cool Japan market Gyros?

> That truck is cool, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to drive it! :)

> Looks like the early Toyota vans we got here, but the stick shifts on

> them were on the floor, as nature intended! How's the Fox?

Yep same guy, he’s working on sending over a container of goodies. I’ve got a tdr80 in there so I can finally ditch my ns50. The fox is great, just put some fancy seats out of a gli in it. Unfortunately though one of the heater core hoses has a crack in it, so I gotta keep topping it off with water every few days. Thankfully it’s outside of the firewall. Gonna be pulling the engine soon enough to swap it out for a hotter iteration and fix that while I’m at it. It’s too hard to dick with the hoses, they’re right under the battery box and right above the passengers side cv axle.

5C4FF16F-68E5-4A4D-B6D5-14B7AAEAD977.jpeg
50D4196D-9F9E-4AAD-B337-E324A543E3EC.jpeg

damn those are cool. is it street legal?

Bump

I got another car a few months back and I have to say, it is probably the funnest car you can ever drive. It makes all the turbo spooky boy sounds and actually makes good power for only weighing ~1,500 lbs. I took it on the track and it did surprisingly well, only 2 seconds behind some hot boy in a honda. It’s pretty much all original aside from the suspension and its perfect. I’ll probably tear into the g10 this winter and replace the rod bearings, give it a fresh over bore and replace the turbo.

1EED70FC-2B11-46EF-BC91-A9B9DD1ACA17.png
31B55BD7-0505-4F49-BAA9-CC9789F56621.jpeg

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK that car is so awesome

do you have a motocompo yet?

hahah no motocompo for me, they usually cost around 3,500 which is significantly more than I paid for this. I would go for a white fa50 though seeing as this is just a rebadged 1st gen swift.

good call, but will it fit? (not a small honda hatchback pun)

Rick Bergsma /

I had one of those Chevy Sprint turbo cars back around 1992 . It was my winter beater . Talk about a lot of fun . When I listed it in the auto trader the first guy that called bought it and I got 3 calls a day for the next month . Even changed my answering machine message to , if you're calling about the car it's sold

I had one in the shop the other day and yea it would with the front wheel off and the rack removed. The main challenge is the handle bars on the fa aren’t able to fold down so I might just modify a BMX handlebar to it. Shit. Now that I’m thinking of it, I might just adapt bmx forks and front wheel to it....

The other bummer is there isn’t anything to strap it to so it would be bopping around back there unless I tipped it over. And that’s a whole bunch of bummers too.

Eh, I might look into getting some hoops or the possibilities of a small hitch. I mean I do have a truck, but this thing gets about 50mpg at 55mph. Even driving mostly like a complete dick in the city I still get 200miles on 6 gallons of petrol (the tank is only 7 gallons with reserve).

> Rick Bergsma Wrote:

> I had one of those Chevy Sprint turbo cars back around 1992 . It was my

> winter beater . Talk about a lot of fun . When I listed it in the auto

> trader the first guy that called bought it and I got 3 calls a day for

> the next month . Even changed my answering machine message to , if

> you're calling about the car it's sold

This was the first one I had seen for sale that wasn’t 6k in the 7 years I have been looking, the guy lived just far enough from Portland that no one was into going out there. I definitely got a good deal on it and probably will never let it go.

Sweet! Iam jealous :)

FA forks are like bmx forks but with some suspension, it'd be cool

punkrock randy /

> ***Kim Jong illest*** Wrote:

> because automatic transmissions have become more efficient, more

> reliable, and more powerful than manuals. the

> facts are the facts.

That’s all wrong, facts are facts. Transmission type doesn’t affect a vehicle’s power. Automatics are far from more reliable. My daily is an automatic only because it’s a work van and I don’t own it. Fu€k automagic transmissions!!

Modern Manual gearboxes have gotten really good. The new fancy VAG and ones are super dope; they have a double clutch mechanism that has the gear preloaded and spinning the correct rpm and it goes into the next gear in a fraction of a second. I don’t even think that they have a clutch pedal?

punkrock randy /

They have definitely made automatics that shift harder and faster than manuals can. And still use real clutches, but the absence of clutch pedal is what brings me down. I miss my ‘82 corolla SR-5 2 door:-(

Agreed, I can't get into the paddle shifters, prob better, but makes a car feel like a video game, not what I feel a car should be, I know, age thing. :)

Yea I think now though if you're designing a new car and a new engine platform to go in it, making a manual versio with all that additional design work, tooling and production is really only for a tiny niche percentage of people and they'd probably still buy your car as auto only. simply not worth making both unless you're specifically targeting the specific crowd which is being left behnd for these reasons by other manufacturers.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Found this in my YT feed this morning.

Lets hope it happens quickly. The only people that want stickshifts are carheads and old people. The 20th century is over, get me a nice automatic transmission.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Lets hope it happens quickly. The only people that want stickshifts are

> carheads and old people. The 20th century is over, get me a nice

> automatic transmission.

That explains me then an old carhead...lol, but it's true, people are not into driving anymore, used to be a skill, mow it's a chore. I like an automatic in a big csr, but shifting is fun in a small one. Oddly enough I hate shifting motorcycles...totally know how but it's a hassle unless you are racing.

punkrock randy /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Lets hope it happens quickly. The only people that want stickshifts are

> carheads and old people. The 20th century is over, get me a nice

> automatic transmission.

The guy I’ll inherit ‘79 Celica GT frm is 85 and still loves driving his 5 spd manual. I love hearing people complain about driving manuals in traffic, I always think of him. Stickshifter till i die thx vry much🤘🏼

Better hang on to your old cars then, I heard somewhere that less than 2% of new cars sold in the US are manual now. :/

its cuz automatics sell more and nobody is gonna design a whole separate transmission and everything that goes along with it just to nab a few buyers. Like a few companies are gonna fill that niche and everyone else gets the people who buy their cars anyway with maybe 1/10 feeling a little bummed they didn't get a manual option, and buying it anyway

I KNOW that, just don't like it. :)

It still kinda blows my mind that manuals are going away. Growing up in the 90's every base model was a manual....

This 96 geo I just bought is the only manual car I've ever owned. Well actually, the only CAR I've ever owned. All trucks blazers and suburbans before this. Really loving it though, Soo much easier tha an old 3 on the tree pickup. Effortless

Now if only I could get 400 for my 89 blazer and get some new tires. Craigslist is dead.

I dont think it'll go away fully, just become a niche thing for specific markets

Yeah, I just never expect it to be difficult to sell a running driving blazer that just needs brakes and a tune up.lol may just have to suck it up and go on the faceplace

I almost sold it to a guy from Oregon. But he was gonna jump it and drive it home....my conscience wouldn't let me...it's been sitting for two years, bad front brakes and no tabs. I'd be crushed if the idiot died.

^ I have gone through thoughts like that, but have come to the conclusion that as long as you disclose any issues the vehicle has, and the dude signs the title it is no longer your problem what someone else does, if the car is super fried I just junk it for the $200.00 :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account