Picked up a 3 wheeled bicycle for my dad, and found a deal on a DT125

Angry Hipster /
Screenshot_20200209-184941.png
20200209_172124.jpg

I was buying this 3 wheeled bicycle as a gift for my dad who is in his 80s and has trouble moving his left side from a stroke, and I asked about the dirt bike.

She was happy to get rid of it and hooked me up with a package deal. Win win, I called my dad who was trying to repair some old girls bicycle when he picked up the phone. - I guess he really wants to ride a bicycle again.

I hope he likes the trike, it should be far less likely for him to fall and break a hip, he has balance issues. I guess I'll find out how he likes it. The tires aired up and I pedaled it around... The dirt bike is missing a carb and needs some work.

20200209_172202.jpg

(edited)

Re: Picked up a 3 wheeled bicycle for my dad, and found a deal on a DT125

Awesome score! You are very kind to do that for your Father.

Angry Hipster /

Thanks Stephen. He put a huffy or two under the tree for me growing up so it felt good to do this for him.

Also, I realized from his age people might think I'm a lot older than I am. Lol I'm in my 30s he was nearly 50 when I was born.(edited)

Get him a helmet. It takes balance to step up and over the frame. No tumbles just getting on board.

Angry Hipster /

Good idea, I bet I can pick up a cheap bicycle helmet.

Me trying to get him to wear his helmet before he rides his tricycle will officially bring out father/son relationship full circle, lol.

It's cool Hipster, my dad put a bike or two under the tree for me too. I wish I could buy him something like that, he likes my mopeds and all but will not ride them, he is 84...but still, he used to race his motorcycle on the ice and in the desert, guess he is smarter than I, I will get his '70's Schwinn Suburban 5 spd bicycle when I find room in my apartment for it, it has been hanging in the garage for 40 yrs, I used to ride in the baby seat on the back of it. I was only allowed to own a moped at 15 because my Dad said I could to the outrage of my mom, I love him for many reasons, but that is in the top 5, you are a good son.

That's a quality trike, too. USA made Worksman. They're still around if you need original parts.

both rad

Sweet of you to do that. Does that trike have both a drum and a caliper brake on the front?

Angry Hipster /

Thanks everyone I'll post an update when I can get pops on it. I've been kind of busy lately and haven't got the check the bike and trike out much.

But ya,.good eye, it does seem to have that dual front brake. The rear is brakeless I think and a fixed gear.

Angry Hipster /

Pa hit the streets today. The helmet was a hard no and he is stubborn as hell, which is his freedom I guess.

Regardless he had fun and moves WAY faster than when he walks dragging his leg.

pa.png
pa2.png

Nice, and a big Hell yeah to the hard no on the helmet, he made it this far without, leave him be.

Angry Hipster /
paw1.jpg

Here he was in his 20s, I guess if that didn't kill him the tricycle won't.

He sold it for tax money and my brother bought it back, needs restoration though.(edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

Thats an awesome rod.

Angry Hipster /

Thanks, rumor has it he was never beat. He claimed it was almost like cheating due to how light it was.

Even the transmission was really light, he had a spare and I remember being able to pick it up by the shifter with one hand and kind of curl it. It was some sort of Packard transmission.

Engine was modified 327 corvette motor.

I was told the body was painted with 16 coats of black laquer with work done in between coats.

My brother said he was going to make it into a rat rod, pa got pissed haha!!

Pushrod Fifty /

So cool that you still have it in your family.

I bet that thing did fly, 3 duces, 327 was an amazing engine, and nothing at all to the body, Dad was a bad ass! :) Prob no seat belts, let alone helmets... ;)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I bet that thing did fly, 3 duces, 327 was an amazing engine, and

> nothing at all to the body, Dad was a bad ass! :) Prob no seat belts,

> let alone helmets... ;)

Probably stromburgs for carbs ,small journal steel crank,my guess would be 461 double hump heads and probably mallory dual point ignition..maybe banjo rearend..haven't figured out the packard trans but there were lots of different set-up and could have made an adaptor i suppose ..my guess would have been power glide on trans ..that was popular in those days...is really nice one for sure ..(edited)

Hipster if he remembers would like you to ask your dad to see if i was right on any of it ..

Angry Hipster /

I'll call him and ask when I get the chance, he likes talking about all that stuff. He did the engine work, but didn't build the car entirely. He bought it with the tube frame installed and it had been raced before in several different configurations, at one time it had a Ford flathead v8.

And if you want I can message you his phone number. He just sits in his room at his house and watches Netflix and goes to the gym/church.(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account