Vintage snowmobiles

Holy shit, this is literally mopeds for dudes that wear un-ironic trucker hats.

Did anyone else know this is happening? Everyone has 70's snowmobiles that sound and smell like mopeds, they are two stroke, they are primitive, (some of them even have european motors like Sachs and Hirsch)

The rest of them is an odd amalgam of boat and lawnmower parts.

A bunch of people get together at a bar, unload them, stand around in snowpants outside drinking beer and asking each other about their junk.

Then they take a 10 mile ride to another bar, bringing tons of spares because someone breaks down.

Then more standing around (outside in the cold) and drinking beer.

Then you ride back all jagged up but since its not on a road its all cool.

More standing around drinking beer.

Load up and go home.

I cannot be the only person (me and big block fiero) that have heard of this shit.

Re: Vintage snowmobiles

I've always felt like moped riding is very similar to a snowmobile ride. And up where I'm from (upstate NY) vintage snowmobile shows are every weekend almost. I Just prefer riding mopeds in Florida over snowmobiles.

Yesssss...... the only reason I miss the north.

Unlike mopeds, old snowmobiles are a bitch to move around the rest of the year.

i want a panther 303 to take the engine off and slap it on a moped. single rotory powered !!! hard to find

Pushrod Fifty /

Don't get enough snow in CT to make it worthwhile.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> big block fiero

Wow, there's a throwback

I've my vintage sled. Going to a vintage race this weekend.

20170215_140158.jpg

The race is called the one lunger 100. Its 100 laps on 72 and earlier single cylinder sleds.

Pics or it never happened. Ha!

> Steve Dolan Wrote:

> I've my vintage sled. Going to a vintage race this weekend.

thats awesome!

my buddy picked this up a couple weeks ago and brought it over to my place to rip around the farm and have me take a look at a little carb flooding issue. Our boys are in the same class at preschool and they had a blast riding around (obviously the dads drove, we just put them on there for the photo)

IMG_20200201_103739.jpg

Its pretty great having snow hobbies and summer hobbies, i smell like two stroke all year long.

FUCKING QUALITY CONTENT RIGHT HERE

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> > Steve Dolan Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I've my vintage sled. Going to a vintage race this weekend.

>

> thats awesome!

>

> my buddy picked this up a couple weeks ago and brought it over to my

> place to rip around the farm and have me take a look at a little carb

> flooding issue. Our boys are in the same class at preschool and they

> had a blast riding around (obviously the dads drove, we just put them on

> there for the photo)

>

> Its pretty great having snow hobbies and summer hobbies, i smell like

> two stroke all year long.

Yeah those tillotson carbs can be finicky. I have a similar sled (70 arctic cat panther) that has a 399 halo that I fitted a mikuni on with velocity stack and comet clutch. Thing was a blast. Would tear wheelies pretty easy. I got a bunch of old sleds just don't enjoy the cold enough anymore to ride them.

I made the hood for my yellow ski doo. It used to have a nice expansion chamber with pretty much a stinger exiting the side but was pretty loud. Thing is fun though. Like a magic carpet ride.

nobody has started a fight about libtards trying to take away our smokers or global warming eradicating all snow in 2 years... weird.

i've just got the one sled right now, this '94 yamaha i rebuilt last year (on the right with my son on it)

IMG_20200201_104014.jpg

just mentioned it to a coworker and he's got a '73 polaris in the barn he said i can have!! gonna go grab it on saturday, just what i need, a new hobby with lots of junk to fill up the barn. haha.

> Steve Dolan Wrote:

> Yeah those tillotson carbs can be finicky.

It was actually swapped out to a VM30, the floats were adjusted wrong so it ran great WOT but would flood out at idle. He came over so we could down-jet it, but i knew what the problem was as soon as i rode it, i've got a bunch of 70's yamaha with those stupid pin-mounted floats that are touchy about float height. No idea why they did that, stupid idea.

That panther looks amazing!! Is it original or restored. Nice machines. It's cool the tunnels r all aluminum. Don't rot out like alot of the other manufacturers in those years that r steel. My dream sled is on old ski doo blizzard.

So beautiful

20200213_182606.jpg

Sooooooo

It didn't take long, I mentioned it to a coworker last week and he said 'you wan't a '73 colt? '

200 bucks later this lil' guy came home with me:

IMG_20200215_110749.jpg

My buddy said it ran last time he had it out, a few years ago. It had pretty rank gas in it, but checked for spark, pulled it over a few times, gave it a shot of carb cleaner to wake it up and sure enough she came to life.

IMG_20200215_140833.jpg

Just a big ol' moped engine in there, it even looks a little bit like an AV7 or something, cashew exhaust and all. Big dual variator but for the most part its just moped parts.

IMG_20200215_174410.jpg

Took it out on sunday and tore around the backyard for a good half hour, didn't miss a beat. Plenty of power, runs great. Cozy in her new home next to the yammerhammer.

The Vmax isn't even that big by modern standards but it looks like a tank compared to this lil' guy.

IMG_20200216_134858.jpg

Yeah I use to be into this before mopeds had a 72 Polaris Colt 295. It's fun lots of older cats who like to drink n ride. They host big meet ups with swaps food racing shows and all. I got out of it, I ride a 2010 Polaris IQR now way more power and fun.

Lots of good times theres quite a shows around mpls mn

FB_IMG_1581989830455.jpg
FB_IMG_1581989839556.jpg
FB_IMG_1581989846625.jpg

yeah i've never ridden a 'new' as in newer than late 90's sled to know how good they can be, but the 300 lb/ 25 hp colt is way way more fun than the 600 lb/ 70 hp Vmax

i'm getting the vmax ready for a big trip up north this weekend but once thats over, i'll bring the colt into the garage and start getting it dialed in. the biggest vintage event in this area (Brackett, WI) is coming up on the 29th so i wanna be good to go for that. Gotta fix brakes, lights, couple other little things, maybe get a new seat cover sewn up.

Very cool. Mopeds on skis

I stumbled across this old gem a few minutes ago. I don’t have room for it in my garage, with 15 mopeds and 2 motorcycles. I could always keep it out at the farm, but I don’t like keeping my junk at Dad and Mom’s.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/557588674850213/

5EC58CDC-9172-490D-A580-8C335B5E6FA9.png

Damn it, I really don't need another hobby...

I have nine or so sleds kicking around here. Used to be big into them. They are cheap and plentiful in these parts

This happens in the twin cities a lot. Have lots of friends who started buying em' then came to the same realization. It's just like mopeds but on skis.

they look like bumpercars

We rarely get snow but i would buy one of those if close enough and convert it to a mini 57 chev with wheels on itfor the grandkids ..

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account