Honda Rebel

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I picked up this very low mileage 1996 Honda Rebel for my son yesterday for only $625. The only hitch is that there’s no title for it. It was originally titled in NY, so my son willI do the VT registration deal when I get it to my new house in VA this spring. He’s so excited about getting his first motorcycle. It’ll be nice being able to ride with him on the weekends.

5439E5BC-07BD-40B1-A065-D306865799CA.jpeg

Re: Honda Rebel

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Great bikes! I have a 97 Honda Nighthawk 250 that is basically the same drive train, just less cruiser and more standard in style. The bikes are a bit under powered but mine has been nothing but reliable... and easy to work on! Its a twin with only 1 carb! (I know that hurts performance but darn if it isn't easy to work on.) My advice, gear it up a bit from stock, the low end will still be decent but it will give you a bit more highway speed... mine struggles to hold 70 even after the regear.

Hope he wears a helmet and enjoys it!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

He’s been wanting a bike for several years now. I always talked him out of getting a new bike. I knew I’d find something for him eventually for a lot less money.

He’ll definitely be wearing a helmet. He’s gonna be a first time father in 6 weeks, so his wife would never let him ride one without it. Plus, I drilled it into his head when he had his moped many years ago.

When I got my licence we had to drive those. Kinda weird after riding so upright.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I knew I’d find something for him eventually for a lot less money.

You are the right father to have when looking for anything 2 wheeled.

When I got my licence we had to drive those. Kinda weird after riding so upright.

Ironically i rode a Silver Honda 250cc Nighthawk in my ohio motorcycle training course. Now i own a Black Honda 250cc Nighthawk of which i purchased from a State of Ohio auction for $450 haha. When i first got my license i owned a Honda MB5 & Derbi GPR50RR... i then bought a 500cc Kawasaki Vulcan (6 speed / twin / liquid cooled) which i loved but it had some annoying electrical issues which ultimately led me to sell it. My Nighthawk has given me zero issues, its just alot slower than my Vulcan.

Chris Szuba's Ninja 500 is real tempting at $800... im just too broke. I think it runs the same motor as my old Vulcan.

VT title loophole is great!!!

also i sold my ninja over the weekend for $900, sorry jimmy!

Thats the cmx250. The cmx 450 was only made in 1986-87 and very collectable if you see one.(edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

I have a CM185, the seed of the Rebel, that I am fixing up, nuts and bolts redo. I always laughed at them but I thought I could turn an ugly duck into a cool cafe racer. I paid $140.00 for it, sat for years. I found a good top end on ebay for $50 and had the valves redone. Put new fork seals in, repacked the steering head. It had a sissy bar, rear grab bar and crash bars on it that would have been fine for a Gold Wing. I removed about 40lb of steel from it. Raised the back of the tank about 3" to make it sit flat, got rid of the tank cover. Painted all of the parts and just have to finish the custom seat and wire the tail light. Been at least a 2 year slow going project.

Pushrod Fifty /

Was the CMX an automatic?

^ I don't think so, just a 450 Rebel. You are maybe thinking of the CM-400A, and they made a 450 displacement as well.

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I picked up this very low mileage 1996 Honda Rebel for my son yesterday

> for only $625. The only hitch is that there’s no title for it. It was

> originally titled in NY, so my son willI do the VT registration deal

> when I get it to my new house in VA this spring. He’s so excited about

> getting his first motorcycle. It’ll be nice being able to ride with him

> on the weekends.

> >

Yes! MUCH better choice than getting him a scooter.

I recently got one for 250, titled but in shit shape. I got it all back together and running and some little things. tank was ruined so i slapped on a spare tomos toptank and it actually worked out great. with narrower bars and the much narrower tank it let you really feel tight in the bike and made it honestly a buttload more fun for a small bike.

like, i kinda liked it before but it was what really made me enjoy it, totally changes the feel, much more fun.

The old tank was just too wide and for such a relatively small bike it put your knees akwardly out to the sides.

night n day

I also just picked up a nighthawk 250 from the zero's, same engine. doing some shit to it. probably trendy suff so i can sell it haha

tempFileForShare_20200212-173714.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /
20200212_193829.jpg

Looks great with the small tank. My CM...

20200212_193805.jpg

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ I don't think so, just a 450 Rebel. You are maybe thinking of the

> CM-400A, and they made a 450 displacement as well.

+1 to this !

"HONDA-MATIC" aha

My first bike I learned with a clutch was my moms rebel 250. Cool bike but the engine vibrated so badly it would make your ass itch like mad on a long ride. *gets off bike and proceeds to claw at my ass for 10 minutes straight.

I wanna ride one of the automatics just outta curiousity. I rode an automatic aprilia once, big ass variator, felt like a maxi-scooter dressed as a motorcycle.

Pushrod Fifty /

I want to ride the hondamatic to check it out, I was reading about them, would be kind of nice in the back roads to not have to shift so much. Once in a while a CM400A shows up on Craigslist, I think th ere were more CB750 automatics than CM's.

^ Other way around from what I have seen. 750a rarer than hens teeth. They are a very unique ride, you want to change the oil a LOT as it powers the drive as well as lubes the engine. CM 400a is prob the best in-town motorcycle ever, bigger than the rebel, super comfy seat, doubles are no problem. Kind of light and buzzy for the highway though as only 2 gears, we used to call it go (1st) and go some more, (2nd) there is a neutral, but you don't have to put it in neutral when you come to a stop, leave it in first, or second, it really does not seem to matter, except that in second it accelerates slower, but will not stall the bike. The way it was intended is 1st up to about 40, then ease off gas and shift into second to wot, about 85 on the 400, that was as fast as I pushed mine as it sounded like it would explode. There is a lever where the clutch should be, DON"T pull it, it is a parking brake and will lock up the rear wheel!!! Another quirk I was not ready for, low speed on wet pavement since there is no clutch it can pull the bike out from under you unless you get it to neutral quick, kind of like a passport, slam shift, but I think you have to put a passport in neutral at a stop? Very strange riding experience, but I would own another in a heartbeat!

Pushrod Fifty /

With the brake where the clutch lever would normally be, I bet a lot people pulled it to shift by instinct and skidded out.

If you mis-shift a Passport by pressing forward on the pedal if your accelerating full throttle you will be almost thrown over the bars. I have done it as my Suzuki is a 4 down shift and got used to that. I have caught myself and kept the shift pedal down to disengage the engine until I slowed enough to resume.

That is a PARKING brake only, and has a spring loaded button you have to push to release it, odd thing you prob could not have today because lawyers! :) Reg brakes are normal motorcycle, rear=foot lever right side front=handle bar lever right side. Leave that left bar alone! I have to think the new DCT auto Honda bikes are worlds above in awesomeness, but the price is out of my league for something I could use 4-5 months a year.

I had a pair of nice motorcycle handle bars on Craig'slist this summer. A guy called me and said he wanted to come buy them for his wife as she needed that style for her cm400a and she only had one hand. They made a special cup that goes on the bars for her. Pretty cool. I told him he could just have them as I was pretty pumped that she was riding. They rode like 150 miles to get them on their bikes and picked them up. Nice folks

Pushrod Fifty /

Thats awesome.

Honda Twins Rule! I retired my 1st CM400A just recently with 37k on it because the stator bit it and it needed a bunch of other shit. The Stator is unique to the Hondamatic and I only know of one place that does rewinds for like $300. I found another with 1200k! for $800 down in PA. Drove 4 hours to get it. Best dang lazy mans cruiser out there. I am 5' 11" and 195 and it is a bit small for me but I just don't care. Yeah you can ride one handed drinking a coffee. Don't even have to kick down into first at a stop unless you are on a steep grade. She is under wraps for the winter but I'll try to get a pic for y'all. Sweet Rebel btw!

It's 1200 original miles not 1200k by the way. It was late and I am not a math guy. I really hope your son enjoys the Rebel! Ride Safe!(edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

I had a 1981 CB400 that was basically the same version, it had alot of power. I rode it for 8 years.

Yeah my first one lasted me 15 years. It was outside most of the time. The top of the tank had almost burned through to the bare metal. It was given to me by a really cool bike hoarder dude who wanted nothing to do with an automatic bike. I found a cherry replacement for it. It's the exact same bike. Same year, same color. Candy Bourgogne Red. I am going to take better care of this one as I have a place to garage it now. Just love it. I have a GS750 and I almost always take the CM400A out over the GS.

got the nighthawk started yesterday. but for some reason the float wont flow fuel with the bowl on. and theres no adjustment, and dont seem to be much in the way of replacement floats out there... I ordered a new float needle so... fingers crossed

Pushrod Fifty /

Float hanging up on the gasket, if it has one?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> got the nighthawk started yesterday. but for some reason the float wont

> flow fuel with the bowl on. and theres no adjustment, and dont seem to

> be much in the way of replacement floats out there... I ordered a new

> float needle so... fingers crossed

Been a while since I messed with this but I think you can use floats from an older model with the metal tang to give you adjustment ability. I hate those solid plastic floats for that reason. Do a little research. I forget when they switched to the all plastic ones

You probably have the float on upside down. They go in with the floats facing up towards the top of the carb(edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account