Re: Honda Rebel

And I just checked the early 80s ones have the metal tang that's adjustable.

Also the trick to adjusting those floats properly is you have to hold the carburetor body just off of horizontal so that the float is hanging from the pin and just touching the spring loaded pin in the needle. If you hold the carburetor upside down the weight of the float pushes down on the spring-loaded pin in the needle and it screws up the float adjustment. I have a funny feeling Honda switched to those plastic floats because enough people were screwing up the float adjustment and never getting the things to run right.

Pushrod Fifty /

Probably cheaper to mold them than to fabricate the brass ones. I adjusted mine on the CB400 using a low wattage solder iron because they werent shutting off. I could have just added another gasket under the float seat but didnt think of that at the time.

Found a spare set and popped the float bowl off to show you.

20200220_094659.jpg

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> got the nighthawk started yesterday. but for some reason the float wont

> flow fuel with the bowl on. and theres no adjustment, and dont seem to

> be much in the way of replacement floats out there... I ordered a new

> float needle so... fingers crossed

Sorry I'm bad about quoting posts. Can pretty much guarantee you have the floats in upside down. It's easy to make that mistake on these. See above post for the picture of how they're supposed to sit in the carb.

it's impossible to get the float in upside down. theres the little cutaway for the needle it can only go in one way

I'll look into the metal ones. Anyway I dunno how I posted about it in this honda rebel thread without considering it's basically the same as the rebel carb, those floats are no problem to come by. Only difference in the carb is the nighthawk's a bolt on vs the clamp flange for the reb. so that's nice.

thanks for the suggestion tho, maybe i'm thinking about it wrong. i'll check for sure.

> it's impossible to get the float in upside down. theres the little

> cutaway for the needle it can only go in one way

>

> I'll look into the metal ones. Anyway I dunno how I posted about it in

> this honda rebel thread without considering it's basically the same as

> the rebel carb, those floats are no problem to come by. Only difference

> in the carb is the nighthawk's a bolt on vs the clamp flange for the

> reb. so that's nice.

It's very possible if you just set the float down on top of the needle like alot of other carbs... and the float still clears the bowl (I pulled the float and flipped it around to see if it would go out of curiosity and you still can bolt the bowl back on) but it would shut the fuel off real quick once the bowl starts to fill.

Only other thing I can think of that would cause this is your bowl vent is plugged. When you pull the float bowl that little standpipe sticking up off the bottom of the bowl, that is the "overflow" but it also acts as the bowl vent. Make sure that isn't plugged up.

havent been able to get back to it, it's at our shop and I really only get time to go there on tuesdays. it wont flow even if the drain bolt's out so i think it's not the vent. I was flipping it up and down and just blowing in the fuel line - it'd flow until i put the bowl on. So maybe it was upside down, but there's like the little pocket for the float needle to go in, hang it in that and drop it into the hole, i don't see how that'd work upsidedown. but havent checked since you suggested it.

the carb was pretty gummy, I think the little tabs that would help pull the float needle down, one's bent so the needles' just sticking. gonna tryn clean it better and see if a new needle works, and then if not try a new float.

thanks again

> havent been able to get back to it, it's at our shop and I really only

> get time to go there on tuesdays. it wont flow even if the drain bolt's

> out so i think it's not the vent. I was flipping it up and down and just

> blowing in the fuel line - it'd flow until i put the bowl on. So maybe

> it was upside down, but there's like the little pocket for the float

> needle to go in, hang it in that and drop it into the hole, i don't see

> how that'd work upsidedown. but havent checked since you suggested it.

>

> the carb was pretty gummy, I think the little tabs that would help pull

> the float needle down, one's bent so the needles' just sticking. gonna

> tryn clean it better and see if a new needle works, and then if not try

> a new float.

>

> thanks again

No prob, It looks like a cool bike and I'm just throwing ideas out there. You are right about the needle and float assembly for sure. If the two are put together properly and installed in the carb then the float would have to be in right side up. I just know that if you are assembling the carb upside down on the bench it would be possible to drop the needle in the seat and then put the float down on top of the needle which of course would be the wrong way to do it but that would make it possible to install the float upside down. See what I am saying? It was just a thought and it sounds like it is probably something else weird going on. Good luck with it though.

Will, bench test carb without float bowl on to see whats goin on.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> Will, bench test carb without float bowl on to see whats goin on.

i did, w no float in it flows. with the float and needle in but bowl off, it flows, I can push the float up and it shuts off, release and it flows again.

Only becomes an issue when the float bowl is on, then, no flow.

I think the plastic tab is cracked and so it's a lil bent. but maybe the spring on the needle is busted or something, it's all pretty gummy and I think the needle just sticks up, and the float doesnt "pull" it down

Does the float bowl have a drain screw?

Pushrod Fifty /
20200222_100345.jpg
20200222_100345.jpg
Just took my CM185 out for the first time. It needs some tweeking but ran good. The stock mirrors don't really work on a clubman bar and I am waiting for a horn to come in, the original didn't work.(edited)
20200222_100356.jpg

^ That's fucking beautiful, please tell me you have side covers, were she mine I would add bar end mirrors, and some black powder coated crash bars... if they are avail for a bike that size, maybe a cafe fairing? LOVE the color! :) Great build!

Pushrod Fifty /

No cover yet for the battery but I am planning on making one. Want to keep it as simple looking as possible for 50s English bike look. Was thinking about bar ends but they might hit my other bikes when wheeling it in and out of my garage. Might try bending the originals so they project out more before buying anything. I just need them to be out a couple of inches to clear my arms.

Pushrod Fifty /

The before pic.

20170328_172842.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

I found a round mirror with a longer stem and swapped it out. It works good. I'll save those original mirrors for something else.

Took it out for a good long ride today as the weather was sunny and warm Its a great back road machine with a broad powerband. I've only had it to about 50 so far but it feels like it could easily cruise at 65.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Cleaned the carb, new intake gasket, drained the old gas, new fuel line and filter and she roared back to life. My son is gonna love this bike.

FE1EEF6E-9BCB-47D5-84AF-5649D88FDA0D.jpeg

Pushrod Fifty /

It looks awesome, disk brake, old scool styling.

Mopeds, motorcycles, scooters and dealer clocks, oh my. Your son should be able to pick up a few chicks with that rebel.....haha

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> Mopeds, motorcycles, scooters and dealer clocks, oh my. Your son should

> be able to pick up a few chicks with that rebel.....haha

I hope not. He’s got a pregnant wife who’s due to deliver my first grandchild in four weeks!

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Mopeds, motorcycles, scooters and dealer clocks, oh my. Your son

> should

>

> > be able to pick up a few chicks with that rebel.....haha

>

> I hope not. He’s got a pregnant wife who’s due to deliver my first

> grandchild in four weeks!

Lolz... they could role play.

so you're saying he wont be able to ride the thing for the next 3 years...

On a personal note: float needle fixed it. maybe the lil springy thing in the needle was too stiff? whatever I dunno but it works great now.

I also relaced a spare front rim to the rear hub (hubs are nearly same size but front's an 18, back is 16) and I really wanted to run matching golden boys. inside joke but it works

20200225_180937.jpg

Molly helped. she was really getting into using her "pattern power" to identify where the next spoke went - "hole hole hole spoke, hole hole hole spoke!"

20200216_142133.jpg

Thats too cool^^ Forget the kids toys, straight to spokes and wheels.

Pushrod Fifty /

The matched rims will give it a badboy look. Alot of people do rear swaps when converting 80s cruiser style bikes into cafe racers, like the Virago.

Golden boys are a joke, I ordered Shinkos for my CM185 and the ebay seller sent me those, I returned them, they were crap, I mean crap. I gave him a negative feedback with a few things thrown in.

It was hard to find tires for it so I ended up with Kendas, they fit the bill for this bike, with the old school Conti style tread pattern. The stock size fills the rim just right.

Nighthawk

20200303_193107.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Looks like a 70s enduro. Neat.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account