She back baby

Almost a year ago, April fools day, my trusty samurai, which had always had a knock, finally let got and dramatically exploded the engine I got a ttotalled racker with a bent frame from another moped pal mr. Perry from louisville. It took me the whole year cuz I got no time but 1 day a week, removing the engine, swapping it in, and tons of auxiliary efforts like raising the suspension cuz the independent front suspension in the tracker allowed a deeper oil pan that conflicts with the samis solid front axle. Every piece and model fought me every step, making tools and adapting things in totally unexpected ways.

Anyway, maiden voyage was a success today and holy shit it feels great to be driving it again

20200308_173703.jpg

Re: She back baby

Great work, glad to see it up and running!

I just LOVE cars like this, lots of "character" dents, scrapes, don't care if you get a scratch on it.....convertible.....stick shift, 4x4 whats not to love? :) Did you keep the injection on the tracker engine? Or carb it? How good are the factory tops, I know where one of these is sitting, has been there for coming on 20 yrs now, never covered, never moves, what I can see of it looks to be in good shape...but it is up a long private driveway, that is marked as such, and I don't feel comfortable driving up there to inquire about it, and I can't see the plate to get it run. Is it possible after all this time that the top has kept water out?

Top are like all convertable tops ..the weather gets them eventually..i have an 02 tracker 4x4 i bought new and last year the top finally started leaking so i had to start keeping it in the barn if it's raining..mine has been a good one ..never had to do much mechanicly(edited)

Should have done a vw diesel swap.

The soft tops are pretty good, the original ones leak around the seams and the hard plastic rear windows get brittle and crack. More often though you get leakage from blocking in the cabin air intake - theres just some open slots that fill up with stuff, dont drain properly, and drain into the cabin instead. I also have an issue where the windshield isn't a molded in piece, it's bolted on. kinda cool if you wanted to make it fold down but for me water collects above the doors and drains down the crack at the front of the door, then leaks into the cabin along the bottom of that windshield. it's not a big deal.

this has a lot of rust, including some holes though the floor, so it drains out anyway haha

I intended to keep the fuel injector but currently it's on the carb. I couldn't get the wiring right for the FI system without spending either a bunch of time or money, so I got it carbed for now while I tackle the wiring in the meantime. It's a sever dozens of wires, rearranging clips and rebuilding connectors etc so I don't think I can make a quick go of it. I am OK with wiring but even with instructions this seems pretty heavy, It always seems like there are more rewarding things i can waste my time on.

As for the VW diesel swap, I got this tracker motor for free so that sealed the deal pretty quick. Also I commute this thing a lot, I'm not sure I need monster torque offroad, it's already pretty low geared and I like that it's super light, I can pretty much lift the entire motor by myself. I know people do the TDI swaps but the tracker one's really straghtforward (well turns out not really, but still much more so than the TDI) and I've never swapped any engines before, relatively novice when it comes to cars so I went with the kstar instead of running a gila

Overpriced Parts /

Great job, I love used/repaired/re-purposed/redone vehicles, I rather have a few used vehicles then one new one, well I like/buy almost everything used,

I may I ask Will what year is that samurai?

it's an 87, the engine's now a 93

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> it's an 87, the engine's now a 93

Sweet no echeck !

i know haha.

Isn't it this year forward it's only OBD2 testing? Since 95 was 1st year OBD2

I don't think my computer works on my jetta, it's always had to go through the tailpipe test, it always passes anyway. i wonder what effect this will have... hmm

I have a combustion analyzer for my work though and it actually would (or could) pass

I use it to measure CO/NOx/SOx etc on stack emissions etc. The CO is actually pretty low, which usually implies lean conditions, but depends obviously on the day. The times i've checked just curiously it's low. often that means hotter though and that leads to more NOx, but it's got a newer cat that works very well

SHOULD HAVE LS SWAPPED IT BARH

i'm almost maybe thinking of trying to get a 4 wheel type deal again... i've been watching "vice grip garage" on youtube. kinda want a minivan... tear the whole body off and make it into a kind of open motor tea bucket pickup combo...savannah has special "no inspection" laws. i have privileges. there is a tube frame dune buggy gang here. that shit would not fly in NJ...

glad u got that thing going. i remember when you broke it on instagram. cars are so hard to fix...

woo samurai love! i really dont know why more people dont own them... i daily mine!

did you go efi with the '93 motor ?

I tried to answer that before. it's carbed now while i figure out the wiring for the efi. I got most of the parts and computer and everything but not wired up

punkrock randy /

Nicely done, Sammys are the bomb. Though all aluminum engines still make me nervous. So soft and lightweight. My love was laid up in the garage for 2 long years, resurrected just a couple weeks ago, such a good feeling to get behind the wheel again:-) Here’s when I used it to tow my buddy’s Samurai when it had a bad day

C5207388-4599-4DC7-9954-A7F9525E7551.jpeg

Much love for the tin top!

I always wanted a tin top and settled for the cloth cuz it's what was available but gimme one good day with the top off and I cant be convinced to ever go without that option

punkrock randy /

Bad paint job, great Sammy!

4354DDEB-2A49-421C-99FA-9ADFABA23F92.jpeg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account