Re: Need my Marantz Receiver fixed...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’m confused. Do you have a spare marantz 2230 model receiver?

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Grab it on the way to va

>

> Free.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Marrantz Sr4200 AV.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Wow, it comes with the original

box. That’s cool!

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> There is one fore sale on Catawiki but the price is pretty ridiculous.

>

> https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2020/5/22/f/6/9/f696990b-7bec-4849-a48e-79b63069fdd6.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Tv surround sound reciever

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I really appreciate the offer, but I really only want the identical model that I have. It has lots of sentimental value to me. I’ve been dragging it all over the country since 1981. It’s a big part of my life, just like my Garelli moped.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Marrantz Sr4200 AV.

Pushrod Fifty /

Im not that electrically inclined but I have rebuilt a few tube phonographs. Changing 5 caps is not a big deal and usually thats all the amp needs. Solid state electronics are a ton more complex.

They really are like mopeds, old caps, like condensers, will cause headaches and compound issues with them. There are probably 50 of them in there. It may be a good idea to replace the electrolytic caps, they protect the major components.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I might be a little late, but my friend does exactly what you need, located in York Pa.

They service all quality vintage stereo equipment.

Check it out.

Retro Addicts

I used to have a 2230 and miss it. About 5 years ago when I noticed people were paying big bucks for them I cashed in. I got mine at a yard sale for $20 and sold it for $350. Sounded real nice with my vintage Bose speakers and realy boogied with viynl. The newer Harmon I have now has nothing on it.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It may have the component that fried the boards are simular and connectors compatable

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Add 20 years newer

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ll give them a call. I can always drop it off on my way back to NJ next week.

Thanks for the referral!

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> I might be a little late, but my friend does exactly what you need,

> located in York Pa.

>

> They service all quality vintage stereo equipment.

>

> Check it out.

>

> Retro Addicts

Sux when the good stuff finally needs servicing and we discover that the world has turned into the age of just 'throw it out and get another one'. My PLC robotics guy will repair anything with a circuit board or even tube stuff as a hobby on the side.

If the channel is dead dead perhaps there are fuses on the pc board? Just suggesting because the higher output amps had that. I changed out my Marantz receiver for a Woodson solidstate 4 channel amp back in the 1970s because the Woodson had front panel mounted fuses and I could use any tuner with just a pre-amp output. I lucked out because I also scored 4 cerwin-vega stage speakers with the amp when a local production company folded.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Rebel, I already checked for blown internal fuses, but there were none.

Thanks for your advice!

Do you see any leakage or bulging of the electrolitic caps?

Don’t touch their leads, they hold energy for hours after unplugging the unit.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Nope, nothing amiss in there as far as I can see.

> - rwc - Wrote:

> Do you see any leakage or bulging of the electrolitic caps?

>

> Don’t touch their leads, they hold energy for hours after unplugging the

> unit.

Pushrod Fifty /

If it was a cap issue I think there would be a lot of static and nasty noise, but power loss from a bad transformer, power supply could be instant and a soundless failure.

To support my hypothesis with words from my google box:

“ The reactive load imposed on the amplifier by a speaker load causes far higher dissipation in the output transistors than the simple resistive load generally assumed during testing. At the extreme end, consider a load which is completely reactive (i.e. inductive or capacitive). The voltage and current are 90 degrees out of phase with each other, and no power is consumed by the load - even though there is voltage and current present (and measurable). Assuming a voltage of 20V and a current of 2A, the actual power is zero, so the amplifier must dissipate not only the normal internal losses inherent in all power amplifier designs, but the 40 Volt/Amps reflected back from the reactive load. (Volt/Amps - or VA - is roughly equivalent to Watts - but only when the load is resistive, implying that work is performed).

In reality, the reactance is always accompanied by some resistance, so the amount of power converted into work (moving the loudspeaker cone to create sound) will always be non-zero. An additional quantity of the supplied voltage and current are converted into heat (another form of work) due to resistive losses in the voice coil and crossover network. The reactive (also known in electrical engineering as the imaginary) component is reflected back into the output of the amplifier, where it must be absorbed and converted into heat.

It is the reflected power from the loudspeakers which is responsible for a great many amplifier failures. Because of the low efficiencies of most modern speaker systems, more power is needed from the amplifier. This means that the amp will have to dissipate more reflected power and this can lead to overheating (or internal "hot-spot" localised heating) which leads to the destruction of the output transistors. Some amplifier protection systems are sufficiently sophisticated that they can prevent this form of damage completely, but will generally provide an additional side-effect - the deterioration of sound quality. This is often noticed as a "grainy" or similarly described quality to the sound, and is difficult to eliminate when protection is used. A certain IC power amplifier I have tested has a very comprehensive protection circuit, which seems to work very well. However, as the amp reaches the point of clipping, the distortion component is multiplied tenfold by the protection circuit, with the result that what should be completely inaudible distortion becomes very audible indeed.”

Transistors are probably at fault. They don’t usually look bad.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Until I get my marantz fixed, I’ve got kims ‘90’s vintage Pioneer receiver. I’m currently playing SiriusXM through the CD output using a marine/auto Bluetooth receiver. The sound is magnificent.

BD9F4A31-2D00-43C0-9115-677D60BFB4C0.jpeg

(edited)

Nice! I like a digital tuner (for radio) yeah I still listen to the radio, better than the manual one, Pioneer was no slouch either!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I rarely listen to regular radio stations anymore because of all the advertising and bs banter. I just want to listen to the genre music that I enjoy. In my case, I like listening to ‘80’s new wave music. That’s why I subscribe to SiriusXM service for my truck , but I can also stream it through my other car stereos using Bluetooth on my phone. Now I can even play SiriusXM through my home receiver using my phone and a $35 mobile Bluetooth device. It costs me about $100 year for the service, but for me, it’s well worth it. (edited)

That's pretty reasonable, I'm kind of tech backwards, I'll deal with the commercials. :)

Speaking of vintage equipment I just found this at the dump. Has original box and manual. Not real familiar with nikko but looks to be nice quality. I ha e had many silver face sets and always enjoy them. Haven't had a chance to plug her in and see if it works but since it has the og box someone cared for it.

20200614_174003.jpg
20200614_174018.jpg
20200614_174116.jpg

Nice, never heard of that brand, but the og stuff was so good, I hope it works! :)

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

youll want to replace all the electrolitic capacitors also.

might find help here

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Update: I found two people that fix vintage stereos, but there was just one big problem, they were just too far away and shipping would have been prohibitive.

I ended up buying this Marantz Model 2230 receiver off eBay for $300. This one is in nearly perfect working condition (couple bulbs out), but the outer brown shell was all badly stained. I swapped out the outer shell with my original one and now she looks as good as she plays. This stereo came with all the original packing materials including the original boxes.

Maybe one day I’ll get my original unit repaired, but for now, I’ll settle with the next best thing.

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

AC39E205-DBC2-4DFD-9E8A-F609FC056352.png

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Update II: I hooked up a marine Bluetooth Receiver to the AUX Input/output and now I’m streaming Sirius radio through my marantz receiver. The sound and clarity are amazing, This day keeps getting better!

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> Update II: I hooked up a marine Bluetooth Receiver to the AUX

> Input/output and now I’m streaming Sirius radio through my marantz

> receiver. The sound and clarity are amazing, This day keeps getting

> better!

Nice. I have one of these little guys hooked up to my reciever on my deck so I can work in the yard and shit and listen to pandora with my phone.

Screenshot_20200706-152717_Google.jpg

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

This is the one I’m using. $45 shipped from Anchor Express. Super easy to adapt to a conventional stereo receiver. I also stream using my phone.

80513671-9FC7-487D-B80C-410244243345.jpeg

(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account