Re: Kitchen Knives: German vs. Japanese Steel.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thats just my .02, i'm just a hack, but i think if i had grown up with

> even the 60$ victornox in my household, it would have helped me cooking

> so much. I go visit people all the time that just have the worst knife

> program. I think so many people get intimidated by big brand names and

> $100+ price tags, lots of food gets cooked all over the world with these

> workhorse knifes, more home chefs should be into that.

You know, I've never had like a middle road like the $60 knife. I have only had some pretty expensive ones and lots of very cheap ones. and there the difference is huge, but yea this is making me realize there's probaby some cheaper options in the range many don't explore.

I actually got most of my good knives from a really sad situation - a good friend who cooked often was in a skateboarding accident without a helmet, it was one of the worst days of my life waiting for that ambulance. After he fortunately recovered from the coma, he had lost the motor skills to use knives and suffers unpredictable seizures, so he gifted his cookware to me. Side note for sure but WEAR YOUR FUCKING HELMETS

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> I gotta say though, americas test kitchen has consistently ranked that

> 60$ victornox as the best chef knife, i have the victornox boning knife

> (recommended to me by a guy who works at a meatpacking plant as the one

> 'they use') and i love that thing. I don't really need a second 9" but

> i kinda want one just to check it out.

For the price, it's a GREAT kitchen knife and holds an edge very well.

We have German knives because Rebelle (who is German) points out that no one else can make "proper" knives. NO DISCUSSION.

I have learned that if you try those infomercial tricks of sawing through nails and cutting up old footwear then having a go at sawing through some wood and hacking down a small tree before returning to the kitchen to slice through tomatoes... you going to get in shyte trying that... just saying... (dont ask me how I know, but I do)

These are my go to knives. The little victronox steak knives are very sharp and very useful for about everything.

20200611_143148.jpg

This sharpener works very well and is easy to use.

20200611_143248.jpg

ha yea, my steak knives i was touting before theyre ctually those victorinox. anyway they kick ass.

Victorinox is great. I first used Victorinox (other than a Swiss Army Knife) when I was commercial crabbing in the Aleutian Islands. We were required to have a deck knife on our person any time we were on deck. That way if we got tangled in line and drug overboard with a crab pot, we could cut ourself free. Plus we were constantly cutting line on deck for this, that, and the other. We used Victorinox serrated 3” knives; we would buy them by the case from the ship supply store. I’d go through two or three a week. It’s surprising how fast one of those tiny knives can cut through a three inch dock line.

I haven’t tried the Victorinox Chef’s knife, but I’ve heard it’s great. The only Victorinox on my knife rack is a little paring knife. Wicked lil tool.

punkrock randy /

Not for kitchen, just hiking/camping. Thick as a maf for choppin wood and hard to lose due to obnoxious bright orange ;-)

image.jpg

10Fiskars_iso_HTH.jpg

I have one of these. Fiskars Norr.

I love the balance and the way it fits in my hand.

I like mora for my camp knife and general beater knife. Can cook up some grub and then whittle a marshmallow stick with it.

20200611_193613.jpg

> Seth B Wrote:

> The only Victorinox on my knife rack is a little paring knife. Wicked

> lil tool.

I actually grabbed one of these a few months back when i was getting some stuff from the kitchen supply place, on a whim, and i LOVE it. Same as the boning knife, the blade is so flexible and thin. It probably the 'most grabbed' knife in the block.

I also like that it cuts through cheese without sticking... i dunno why but my wusthof paring knife and a chicago paring knife i have both stick to cheese, but that dang victornox just slides right through it. It sounds dumb but i'm 'sconnie as fuck and we eat the fuck out some cheese in my house.

Also... i think you're right about 'what some people think is sharp' ... i know i'm one of those people... i could do better but i just don't really care. If i can slice a tomato without its guts blowing out, or an onion without the layers coming apart, i'm happy. I do notice it more when i'm butchering/boning out game... you spend 3 hours straight chopping away on a deer and you're gonna want your shit sharp. I need to figure out a better program for that, lasky? diamond? i hear a vote for the ceramic?

I love cheese.

Mmmm

My hunting knives are always sharp before going into the woods.

Gutting a deer, a sharp knife opens them up like a light saber into a tauntaun. Splits the ribs with one gentle movement.

Processing, I use a razor sharp fillet knife. Don’t know why I settled on that. But I like the length and flexibility for parting it out.

Even butterfly my back strap steaks with the fillet knife.

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> I like mora for my camp knife and general beater knife. Can cook up some

> grub and then whittle a marshmallow stick with it.

80C6D162-087D-44EE-A38A-1A674E37A955.jpeg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account