Grateful dead

What's the deal with people who think the Grateful dead were a great live band?

Every time i listen to live versions of their songs they sound awful.

What am i missing? Please include good live videos of them if you disagree with me.

Re: Grateful dead

Now that’s the kind of shit from america, that you should be hatin’ on.

First concert i ever went to was depeche mode in '88 or '89. Nitzer Ebb opened for them and holy shit I was so fucking psyched.

That same summer I got dragged to see the Dead at RFK and wore a Smiths shirt in quiet protest. Then I got high for the first time just by walking the parking lot with my friend and his mom.

We had nosebleeds and I looked down in the distance as a cloud of smoke gathered and condensed just out over the stage then lifted into the golden early evening sky.

It slowly drifted above monstrous screens that were playing trippy visuals as god-knows-what-hippie-shit-song was playing in the background.

It was reeeeeally fucking cool.

I was also high as fuck.

The music? Who knows but it's definitely not for me.

The scene? If the chicks shaved and they outlawed oatmeal deodorant I'd be hard pressed not to have seen them at least once again before Jerry died.

I've seen the Grateful Dead several times.

The quality of their live shows was really hit-and-miss. It seemed as though thier later shows were more miss than hit, and that seemed to coincide with how messy Garcia was. As time went on, a messy Jerry was more frequent than not.

As far as their recorded music is concerned, I much prefer their material before Ron "Pigpen" McKernan died ('72 and older).

Interesting that I actually got turned on to punk rock through the Grateful Dead. Back in the early to mid-'80's, I used to read a predominantly Grateful Dead magazine called Relix. SST records (Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, Meat Puppets, Minutemen) used to advertise thier releases in Relix. Turns out that Greg Ginn, founder of both SST and Black Flag, was a Grateful Dead fan.

The Dead were a lot of fun for me. I never really had a particular scene, per se, but when I did a lot of psychedelics, that scene worked out pretty well for me to check out. I live in AZ, and they always played in CA, not too far away, and came to PHX a few times, as well.

Of all the shows I saw (about a dozen between '84-'95), about half of them were shit, and the other half were OK. Of the OK half, a couple of them were very good.

I always wished I could have went back in time and seen them in the '60's. That was their time, and they somewhat successfully drug those times along with them until Garcia died.

They're definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I still listen to a song or two of theirs once in a while. The older I have gotten, the less impact they seem to have on me (I haven't done drugs in over 25 years). That, and there are other psychedelic bands of the time and place that are IMHO much better, like Quicksilver Messenger Service, but the Dead endured when the others went away when the times changed.

It always struck me as odd and a bit disturbing that whenever I talked to some hardcore Deadheads, they seemed to know everything about the Dead, but had little interest in music that wasn't very similar in style to the Dead's. Even when I was young, I've always had very diverse tastes in music. I never could relate to that mentality. I too used to wear T-shirts to Dead shows that were totally off-genre. Cramps, Metallica, Slayer, Stooges. I very possibly caused some poor Deadheads trippin' balls to have bummer trips, LOL. Especially when I was in the military with short hair in the '80's, LOL.

(edited)

Not really my scene. It was more of a lifestyle than about producing quality. Just like mopeds.

The problem with the live recordings is they are mostly bootleg recordings and are super shitty. I think they wrote some really catchy tunes, but their music is better when other artists play their songs.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I couldn’t stand their music, so i never bothered to see them live. A friend of mine was a big dead head and had been to many shows, but he was in to rainbow gatherings too. He wasn’t old enough to be a peace love flower child but it was his dream. Whatever. People are weird.

i was a metal head, and got my first dose of GD in 72, when a friend played me 72 Europe Tour live album. as a product of the sixties, and aware of the injustice, racism cast on people from an early age, and reliving that pain of injustice to this ripe old age of 61. a dead show was open arms, and a loving hug for all, a sub culture that embraced diversity. a place to be that was kind no matter your race, religion, sexual preferences and so on. it is something that grew legs, and its not just about the music. it has made me a better human for everyone around me. i've seen many shows completely sober. "whats so funny about peace, love and understanding". for the record, dead fam are the most diverse listeners of music. i too would blare out of my s10 ghetto blaster in the parking lot, meat puppets, urban dance squad, tad, tool, iggy pop, cash, old and in the way, bach you name it. no one gave a shit, or some would comment "i love those guys". there aint no place id rather be. the wife, and i lost out on two prepaid shows this year. thats ok, i cant make them all. the bonnaroo experience was next level for me, the absolute diversity of the crowd coexisting with love in their hearts. say what you will about GD, the clueless, and less tolerant often will. it is your right, but what i want to know is are you kind!

Never was a fan either, but whoever likes them it's their personal preference which I'll respect. I'd rather hear Dire Straights, Steely Dan, Cream, Roger Hodgson, The Who and Jerry Reed !

The Dead were a trip, saw a few shows, for me it was more the experience of the show than the music itself, it was ok, totally better if high..lol. But the crowd, the people selling stuff in the lots, that was super fun. I was not the guy who had every shitty tape jacked from the soundboards, but I had my 1970 Westy, loved hippy chicks and a good time, for a fun concert it was worth it, glad I went. @ Azed I forgot all about Relix! Used to read that too! Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away from the world today...

Pushrod Fifty /

I saw them a couple of times and it was awesome. Once at Saratoga Springs, MY 1982 outdoors. It was the best place to see them, wooded rolling hills of green. It was foggy at night and I couldnt see more than 10 feet in front of me. People were just dancing randomly through the

Park. Stayed up all night.

Also saw them at the Meadowlands, NJ. About 1990. The show wasn't that great and Jerry sounded like shit but the tailgate party was fun.

Listened to them thru high school and into the 90s until Jerry died, 1995?, them the scene faded out. My gf and I rode my CB400 from New Paltz NY to Bethel for a rememberance gathering. It was pretty cool to see the Woodstock concert site. Met some cool people there. My gf wanted check out another gathering so we rode to another party and parked the bike in a field. She rested her backpack against the side of the bike and about 15 min later people were freaking out that the bike had caught on fire. The backpack was in flames from being on the hot exhaust. That was the end of the party. I think I have a box somewhere with some bootleg casettes in it.

If you didn't have a draft number, it's all out of context.

punkrock randy /

I learned how to drive a manual transmission in my stepfathers 1979 Toyota Corolla wagon. Covered head to toe in various dead stickers. Great car, i was never into the band tho. Wish i had a pic, maybe they got one of it...

Frank was a million times better.

Hot Rats...

Pushrod Fifty /

Listened to Frank alot in high school too. I couldn't count how many times Overnight Sensation rolled through my tape deck.

saw frank twice....74, 75. 74 he played overnight sensation, with a lot of hot rats filler. 75 he played apostrophe. glad i got to see him. if you are not aware, and are a huge fan like me. zappa does zappa is a must see. bucket list shit! mind blowing.

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Frank was a million times better.

>

>

You may as well compare Bach with Bon Jovi. (edited)

> A Zed Wrote:

> > Potr zebie Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Frank was a million times better.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> You may as well compare Bach with Bon Jovi.

Music is a mindset or mood. It all depends on what mood or mindset you're in.

Weasels ripped my flesh

RIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> What's the deal with people who think the Grateful dead were a great

> live band?

>

> Every time i listen to live versions of their songs they sound awful.

>

> What am i missing? Please include good live videos of them if you

> disagree with me.

Not a huge fan but all my college friends are. I’d need a point of reference for you to explain. What are you a big fan of listening to? Aside from this of course:

I'm actually a big fan of André Rieu, his Christmas album might be one of the first cd's I've ever bought. It is pretty frowned upon in my circle of friends though.

As for a point of reference, that's pretty complicated as i'm a pretty big music nerd and i love all kinds of music, that's the reason why it's so strange for me to see the appeal in the Dead.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> I'm actually a big fan of André Rieu, his Christmas album might be one

> of the first cd's I've ever bought. It is pretty frowned upon in my

> circle of friends though.

>

> As for a point of reference, that's pretty complicated as i'm a pretty

> big music nerd and i love all kinds of music, that's the reason why it's

> so strange for me to see the appeal in the Dead.

Lmao fair enough.

Well they’ve got a lot of tapes. Let’s start there.

No other band has as many shows traded and archived and logged. So that’s an appeal to hobbyists.

And why trade shows? Because unlike the DJs of today they don’t just press play on a mixer. They jam their ass off so each show is unique.

Last summer I saw a cover band playing at this place called Big River Pizza. It was insane the layers and artistry going into just being a cover jam band.

There aren’t really many bands you can go see a unique set of every night. Or that legit tour and take dangerous drugs aside from all the Xanax rappers. Even Ween is clean now.

punkrock randy /

Maybe Gene, but not Dean. Mickey loves his booze. So glad i seen them in ‘08

Five or six tads and any band sounds great even the dead. I have a friend who is a full on dead head and followed them for aboot two years back in the 60s.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ Wrote:

> There aren’t really many bands you can go see a unique set of every

> night.

Who goes to see the same band every night?

Part of my enjoyment in seeing shows is that it's once in awhile, vs. every weekend. Following a band on tour sounds exhausting.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Toughest job you will ever love...

Sold t shirts for 8 tours. They were one of the biggest grossing tour acts For a decade.

Not bad considering only having one hit touch of grey on billboard in 25+ years of playing.

It was the whole quest. A rite of passage for the underachevers. Can you do a whole tour be self sufficient and make it home with a big pile of goodies...

The catalogue of possible songs is almost as high as csny. They on the last tour could've played any of 950 songs.

I think it was about the party.

picture riding a moped alone. then compare that to riding with friends, or riding in a rally. it can make even a pretty mediocre (but def still fun) experience into a full on lifestyle.

Yeah I dig it, I kinda put 'jam band' in the same camp as Zappa and jazz. If you can get your mind into it (because I gotta get out of it before I get into it...) And get that good energy, it's a great feeling. Sometimes that means drugs but when I was doing the Phish thing I didn't even do much of that. If you can't get yourself into the mindset to enjoy it, there is no sense in trying to explain it, it's not a bad thing or a good thing or whatever, you either get it or you don't, not really missing out on much if you don't.

I was in the car a few months ago with the family, we were waiting at a restaurant to pick up a sandwich (covid curbside rules) to take hiking. Prince Caspian (Phish) came on which was always one of my favorites. Right away my wife starts groaning about how much Phish sucks, the kids are whining about something, it's 11 am on a Sunday and I'm sitting in a Toyota Highlander.... Suffice to say, it sounded dumb as hell, like, might as well be a high school show choir singing Raffi.

If I were sitting in my office, with it on the good speakers, and chilling out with a little buzz, I would totally be into it and listening to every nerdy little piano diddle and bass plonker and having a blast.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account