Johnson Colt outboard, not a moped but I'd trade it for ped(s)

FB_IMG_1591387378931.jpg
IMG_20200710_173423404.jpg
IMG_20200710_173322183.jpg

80's Johnson Colt 1.2HP

single cylinder, two-stroke, rebuilt/refurbished w new carb stuffs, gaskets, water pump, etc.

runs great, 360* tiller, direct gear drive, 24lbs, onboard fuel tank

I'd be into clean complete stock bikes like: full rigid square seat post '74/5/6/7/8 Ciao, '79 red n black Hobbit PA50-I, Gloria Blanco w V1

Re: Johnson Colt outboard, not a moped but I'd trade it for ped(s)

With so little HP you are better of with an electric outboard these days. Johnson 2 strokes are also a great way to waste gas.

And electric bikes are more advanced, efficient and reliable than 70's 80's two stroke mopeds but here we are :)

faster than my 40lb Minn Kota (even a 55lb thrust electric is still under 1HP) and hella lighter to take places than carrying around a monster deep cycle battery

Sure wish you were closer ..those little motors are perfect for running the back water and inlets on the river on a 10 or 12 ft alum boat...

I love those little johnsons. I had a 2 hp like it. Ended up selling it and got a larger Yamaha for my 1956 12 foot feather craft car topper.

Pushrod Fifty /
159459811269254770914.jpg

Had one just like, I brought it a few years back, like 1987. Hard to find small 2t's nowadays. Lucky I found this Nissan 2.5 on cl for $50.00. After going through it, its a 1 to 2 pull start cold and will plane out my dingy for about 45 min. on a tankfull.

I think I got a parts tohatsu 2.5 motor if you need any parts. I think I also got like a 2.2 Suzuki.

Pushrod Fifty /

I would if one is complete and I can get it running.

oh cool, we had a similar one on a boat at our old atlanta shop. I traced down it's problems to the CDI, but the replacement cost was over 100 bucks and that was way more than the boat was worth. In the end we took a brief effort trying to reclaim the boat's trailer to haul bikes, decided that also wasn't worth the effort (mostly of having a nonrunning boat with no way to move it) and I think I gave it away. Mghtve gotten 75 bucks for it. Honestly I might've paid someone 75 bucks to take it. I don't really remember anymore. boats are fun but super impractical if you're not right on water.

108728184_3421364287883387_9118375579773260141_n.jpg
115977778_3421364197883396_6280764133706912512_n.jpg
109777615_3421364147883401_143761055196949641_n.jpg

this Colt doesnt have a new home yet but i picked up another air-cooled gamefisher 1.2 and with a lil digging through my stash for a fender bushing (sachs or avanti i think) , hobbit variator roller cage screws and vespa airscreen plus a random plug boot and airbox base... a lil elbow grease and its picked up, fixed, running and sold in the same weekend

^nice!

Bought this Johnson 9.9 yesterday.

IMG_20200801_212441.jpg

Has electric start, still need to convert to remote control but taking it for a test spin today.

Anyone here know which Japanese company made these? It says Bombardier on the hood, but made in Japan on the engine.

Pushrod Fifty /

Tohatsu makes most of the small outboards for all of the brands except Honda, but Bombardier does make their own larger ones. Bombardier brought out OMC- Johnson, Evinrude in the early 2000s.

IMG_20200719_095241430_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200730_182128500.jpg

I fixed and re-homed a buncha these this summer. Picking up a gamefisher (Sears/Tanaka) 3.0hp Friday. I have a thing for those lil light, loud, air-cooled thumpers. (edited)

> Monti S Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I fixed and re-homed a buncha these this summer. Picking up a gamefisher

> (Sears/Tanaka) 3.0hp Friday. I have a thing for those lil light, loud,

> air-cooled thumpers.

Haha I got a couple of little Nissan tohatsu thumpers that need a free home. Parts engines. I love my little 4hp yamaha thumper

Pushrod Fifty /

Looking for a 4hp 2 stroke for my dingy to get me up the CT river with a little more speed than the 2.5, and have a remote tank. The 4hp twins run quieter and are the lightest for the size.

I used to have a lil 4hp tomos two stroke. Very light, relatively fast and pretty indestructible . Don't know if you have them in the US though.

Pushrod Fifty /

Never seen a Tomos outboard here.

I've seen a pic of one, think it was on here, but I suck at the search thing.

IMG_20200807_154343988.jpg

This 3.0hp air cooled is next on the slab... (edited)

IMG_20200810_130144526_HDR.jpg

Vespa banjo bolt topper gasket and air screen to fix the leaking petcock and tidy up the carb. Clean and gap the plug and fresh gear oil. Purrs like a really loud kitten and the dry clutch holds a nice steady idle without engaging the prop.

Found the same thing on this motor as I have found on more than one moped that "doesn't run" and that is when a novice has an empty tank and dumps in a couple of ounces of oil and then walks out and finds their gas can and comes back and fills the tank... By then all the oil has made its way into the carb filling the bowl to the top "and it just won't start no matter how many times I try" haha!

IMG_20200810_105556290.jpg
IMG_20200810_105541825.jpg

Oh hey by the way I'm hoping one of you has a part out/spare ...... Gamefisher 7.5 horsepower model 217 series ....... I need a propeller! Looks like this but without the beat to hell edges.

Still need this prop

image0.jpeg

This one found a new home last week, but another gamefisher 3.0 is due for the next refurb.

IMG_20200905_184109867_HDR.jpg

This one is probably a keeper (7.5hp but only 41lb and air cooled cylinder w water cooled exhaust manifold) but I need to repair or replace the prop to get the most top end out of it. My blades are chipped and worn down about -15% from a battle w a trolling motor drive casing that unlocked and dropped right beside it just close enough to scrape the prop. I wish it woulda just snapped the shear pin!

Prolly gonna get some low temp aluminum welding rods and build the blades up +10% more than stock which should still be just within the skeg length and see what they do. The trick is keeping them balanced.

I have another one of these 7.5's in my folks' garage pending a rebuild too.

Pushrod Fifty /

Thats a pŕetty good hp to weight ratio. There is a prop shop here in Old Saybrook, Ct that eill weld, blend and balance the prop but if you can weld it yourself it should be fine?

Gonna install this puppy today, 25hp 3 cylinder.

IMG-20200908-WA0010.jpg

> Monti S Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This one is probably a keeper (7.5hp but only 41lb and air cooled

> cylinder w water cooled exhaust manifold) but I need to repair or

> replace the prop to get the most top end out of it. My blades are

> chipped and worn down about -15% from a battle w a trolling motor drive

> casing that unlocked and dropped right beside it just close enough to

> scrape the prop. I wish it woulda just snapped the shear pin!

>

> Prolly gonna get some low temp aluminum welding rods and build the

> blades up +10% more than stock which should still be just within the

> skeg length and see what they do. The trick is keeping them balanced.

>

> I have another one of these 7.5's in my folks' garage pending a rebuild

> too.

Dont have any shops that repair props near by? We always just bring it to a prop shop and they fix it up. If you try and weld yourself and not get it balanced you could wreck the lower end. It will also cavitate.

@steve yeah it's a trick to get it just right but a repair is almost the same $ I've got in the whole thing and i like goofin' w them. If I were really invested I would probably go all the way with a pro service but it's kind of like that loner bike in the shed.... Yeah let's see what happens if I do this!? Haha

Had a Johnson 6.6 on a small boat once. ALWAYS started right up and never quit on me.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account