OT... Argue Better

Papa _ /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I swore off the Riot thread for a while. Got back in. Said some stuff. I often take a position slightly more extreme than my actual beliefs for the sake of argument.

Potr Zebie went after me with some serious Straw Man arguments. Like most folks, I find this sort of thing annoying and wanted to address it.

There’s a YouTube series that covers that topic and much more. I found the videos delightful and want to share it.

Not trying to call just him out. Lots of people on OT let passions get the best of them and their reasoning slips. I insight some of it with my style of exaggeration or sarcasm (as do others).

I know every time Don posts, Bas will call him a homophobic piece of shit and tell him to fuck off. Can’t see that as a serious attempt at arguing and don’t expect the humorous banter to go away.

That’s Part of why I Love MA and the weird stuff that goes on in OT.

But, when someone is trying to make a serious attempt to counter another person’s position on something, it would be more productive to use good argument. Not Social Media, Politician, partisan style fallacies.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account