Re: OT... Argue Better

Papa _ /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Thanks Man.

I definitely don’t want to fight. Sometimes stuff gets posted that touches a nerve or whatever and gets a quick response. Sometimes from passion more than reason.

My dad, who raised me as a single parent, is extraordinarily pessimistic. Nobody can have a nice thought around him without him shooting holes in it. He doesn’t HOPE for the best. He ONLY plans for the worst. It is exhausting.

Sure, being naively optimistic isn’t good. But we need people to create and hold a vision for a better future. We have to discuss or problems and make plans. Then argue the faults in the plans until we’ve distilled a workable solution.

I want to see the art of finding truth, like a philosopher, become a thing again. People should be able to have a discourse on hard topics and know that ego, bias, social preference or standing won’t pollute the outcome.

It can never happen on the grand scale if we can’t make it happen in small social groups.

All that said, this is the MA OT. If it wasn’t crazy and troll-y there’d be almost no point to it. I much rather see more nonsense than the political stuff that comes up. I just recommended we save the environment and solve food shortage issues by eating people. That’s what it’s all about.

Tons of respect for you. Everyone on here.

It’s 1538, I’m popping the top on a beer.

🍻

Cheers!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account