Re: OT... Argue Better

Papa _ /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Aaron,

I had to count my fingers. My dad is one of six. So... we’re good there.

I am now 4 maaaaybe 5 beers in since my toast to Potr. I am a cuddly, lovey drunk. So I’m feeling nothing but good vibes toward you all right now.

So Aaron, my dad grew up poor. He was the oldest male with a drunk abusive father during the 50-60’s. He basically kicked his own dad out of the house. Joined the Air Force during the Viet Nam war to avoid getting drafted into the army when he ran out of money for school. He sent money home to provide for his siblings, for which he got no credit. He married my mother, a german woman he met while stationed here, who he loved forever until the day she died. She, however outgrew him quickly and split the marriage. He has faults that make him difficult to be around. But he is the most selfless loving person I can think of. His life has been full of hard knocks. He has always given more than he had to. I resented him when I was younger because his selflessness and obligation to do the right thing caused a lot of financial hardship that caused my sister and me to go without.

I don’t know why some people have to carry so much weight while others dance through life. Maybe it’s a genetic thing that creates that mindset. Some people feel a compulsion to deal with the shit that everyone else leaves behind. I don’t know.

It’s a tough row to hoe and thankless. But I respect you for your sacrifice. I am more of a chip off the block than I’d like to be. I want my kids to have the best from me. Not what’s left after the world around me bleeds me dry. But it is just hard to sit back and watch something fail when I know I can do the time, or overtime, to fix it.

Life can be hard. When it is, we need hard people to stand up and do what needs to be done. That happens in so many ways and places. You are one of those people. If you don’t hear appreciation often enough for it, I’m giving it to you now.

This thread could have gone downhill. I’m glad it didn’t. I’m now on video 15 of 46 on the Crash Course in Philosophy series. It is amazing. Im gonna make my kids watch it tonight. So much absolute good in there.

Prost!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account