Re: Somebody tell me Please...

does the crack go through both panes?

its hard to be sure without like actually lookin at it, but I'm more and more convinced it's the pressure internally, like papa said. If it was thermal stress you'd have the edges in compression and max tension would be in the middle, this broke to corners suggesting tension was running to corners from center. This could also happen from a nearly uniform flex up as it tried to expand, but that shape is clearly the bowing up of the center, which pressure inside makes most sense. it definitely happens.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> aha! here ya go:

>

> http://greaterglass.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Glass-Breakage-Caused-by-Thermal-Stress.pdf

That’s the one. I know more about windows, and shading, than I could have ever thought necessary before. Thanks once more to everyone. Stay cool and be smart doing it.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> does the crack go through both panes?

>

> its hard to be sure without like actually lookin at it, but I'm more and

> more convinced it's the pressure internally, like papa said. If it was

> thermal stress you'd have the edges in compression and max tension would

> be in the middle, this broke to corners suggesting tension was running

> to corners from center. This could also happen from a nearly uniform

> flex up as it tried to expand, but that shape is clearly the bowing up

> of the center, which pressure inside makes most sense. it definitely

> happens.

You probably know more about it than anyone here knowing that you studied this stuff before.

Overpriced Parts /

> Papa _ Wrote:

> One winter night, around -25*F in Ohio, the floor vent in my house blew

> warm air under the curtain onto the window.

>

> Crack

>

> I have broken coffee mugs with hot espresso, and glass cookware with

> water.

>

> So I should have had an idea. Now I have experience 😒

Where in Ohio was that?

In winter 1994 where I live In NorthEast Ohio we had a record 24 below zero February that lasted for a day or so,

My Dodge Extended 15 passenger bus 1 ton actually a 4 ton van that had a 360 severe duty engine 800 CMF thermal quad Started With no problem whatsoever and I made it to work but everybody else/21 other people In the company I worked never made it to work ha ha,

it we never had a day that cold ever Since and actually the lake only freezes over to walk on maybe every other year for a few days if that!

If you you see some of my post and pictures I ride all during January and February so I kind of think you’re making something up/Bullshit, maybe to start trouble mayBe because you know don’t know Nothin about anything I don’t know!

I lived in Pike County, Ohio north of Lucasville. Don will know exactly where that is. South of Waverly on 23.

I want to say it was 2016 or 2017 we had a week of severe sub-zero cold. Not wind chill BS. Actually -25*F. I worked For Brinks in Jackson, OH and all our trucks’ fuel froze.

If you were outside for more than 5 min, your clothes would get crunchy feeling. I’ve never felt cold like it before or since.

I’m sure there’s historical proof of it online but anyone from Columbus down to Portsmouth will remember it.

That is nasty cold, was like that for 2 days the winter before last, the foam in the car seats freezes hard as a rock, last winter was pretty mild, only down to about -15 a few times.

It was 2015. When the window cracked.

Local news, vehicle displays and bank signs were all reporting -25. But the weather reports I can find online say -15 for official temps. Maybe there were some places that got colder but I can’t find it and the search function isn’t working well right now.

2015 was record lows for half the country. But only for a week. Global warming has made most Ohio winters a boring muddy mess for the last 10-15 years.

Yeah, i was utility operator for Piketon Plant that year..............had to be outside and keep things from freezing up.

Nasty cold. I can't remember how low the temps got, but water towers partially froze up, valves wouldn't close, doors were stuck, etc.

Also, heat trace lines wouldn't keep up with the cold, so heat lamps had to substitute in critical areas. Bad time to be the Utility operator.

I was a volunteer firefighter then as well. Lots of fires from people trying to keep warm.

We went on a call that lasted an hour and our new pumper truck froze solid. Cracked some huge valves around the pump. Trucks sent up north are protected from such cold but Ohio doesn’t usually get that cold.

It was a very strange time to be outside.

C'mon Global Warming! Yay!

punkrock randy /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> C'mon Global Warming! Yay!

Dumbass🤦🏼‍♂️

Typical Lib...........no sense of humor. `The sky is falling....Oh,My!'

punkrock randy /

Except that it’s not funny, it’s a shit reality that you perpetuate. Fuck you =Donnyboy.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Typical Lib...........no sense of humor. `The sky is falling....Oh,My!'

Always so willing to stereotype with political references. You would make god so proud, if he really existed.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account