Re: Since we are doing car questions...

Repair complete, it seems when you drive a sensor to failure the computer compensates, and then does not recognize the new sensor unless you disconnect the battery for a minute or so, tried it and car runs right now, no stalling! Who knew?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Repair complete, it seems when you drive a sensor to failure the

> computer compensates, and then does not recognize the new sensor unless

> you disconnect the battery for a minute or so, tried it and car runs

> right now, no stalling! Who knew?

What sensor did you replace? I may have missed it in all the rigmarole previously. LOL!

MAS.

Do you mean MAF sensor?

Mas I'm pretty sure....right after airbox, there is a pic somewhere....

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

That would be the Mass Air Flow sensor. Did you try cleaning the old one? Usually that’s all they need. The hot wire sensor usually gets coated with filter fibers and sends it lean. Normally you would have P0171 and P0174 together, both banks lean.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> That would be the Mass Air Flow sensor. Did you try cleaning the old

> one? Usually that’s all they need. The hot wire sensor usually gets

> coated with filter fibers and sends it lean. Normally you would have

> P0171 and P0174 together, both banks lean.

That would be advice from a professional, NOT a hobbyist like DoNoHiO. LOL!

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> That would be the Mass Air Flow sensor. Did you try cleaning the old

> one? Usually that’s all they need. The hot wire sensor usually gets

> coated with filter fibers and sends it lean. Normally you would have

> P0171 and P0174 together, both banks lean.

I did try cleaning it, no change, BUT I had not disconnected the battery so...it may not have known the difference, or it may have been fried? I replaced it. Disconnecting the battery apparently allowed the computer to "read" the new sensor? Got the info from a Crown Vic forum. It worked though, car no longer stalls, seems to have a shade less power, but reminds me of how it drove before the pump went out, but not wailed on it yet as it was uninsured until yesterday so did not go far from home. Will run it around this weekend and see how it is, will also go to the parts shop and scan it again to see if any codes are still showing. Thanks again for your help, and laying out that spark system, had no idea about that. I watched it run at dusk and saw no arcing and plugs have less than 2k on them, so I think im ok there.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > That would be the Mass Air Flow sensor. Did you try cleaning the old

>

> > one? Usually that’s all they need. The hot wire sensor usually gets

>

> > coated with filter fibers and sends it lean. Normally you would have

>

> > P0171 and P0174 together, both banks lean.

>

> That would be advice from a professional, NOT a hobbyist like DoNoHiO.

> LOL!

That would be advice to be followed by any person who wants their car to run properly. Cleaning a MAF sensor is as common as changing an air filter.

I have a can of MAF cleaner spray sitting on my porch right now. I use a q-tip and that spray and have never failed to bring back a true signal from a MAF sensor.

Simple stuff, but every mechanic needs to know it.

punkrock randy /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------

> I have a can of MAF cleaner spray sitting on my porch right now. I use

> se a q-tip and that spray and have never failed to bring back a true

> signal from a MAF sensor.

>

> Simple stuff, but every mechanic needs to know it.

Don’t touch your MAF with q tips like DumOHiO, just use MAF specific spray. He’s always touching shit he shouldn’t be.

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > ------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have a can of MAF cleaner spray sitting on my porch right now. I use

>

> > se a q-tip and that spray and have never failed to bring back a true

>

> > signal from a MAF sensor.

>

> >

>

> > Simple stuff, but every mechanic needs to know it.

>

> Don’t touch your MAF with q tips like DumOHiO, just use MAF specific

> spray. He’s always touching shit he shouldn’t be.

Ya, if he'd of researched like a normal Google keyboard mechanic he'd of know that.

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > ------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have a can of MAF cleaner spray sitting on my porch right now. I use

>

> > se a q-tip and that spray and have never failed to bring back a true

>

> > signal from a MAF sensor.

>

> >

>

> > Simple stuff, but every mechanic needs to know it.

>

> Don’t touch your MAF with q tips like DumOHiO, just use MAF specific

> spray. He’s always touching shit he shouldn’t be.

Didn't/wouldn't, reading is fundamental. :)

Q-tips are great if you're a good mechanic. You make sure there is no fuzz on the tiny wires when done. Do I have to explain everything to you, Punk?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Q-tips are great if you're a good mechanic. You make sure there is no

> fuzz on the tiny wires when done. Do I have to explain everything to

> you, Punk?

The only thing you could explain is how the fuck you ended up sooooooo stuuuuuupid.

Don you must live in never never land. Most of the retarded shit you spew is totally wrong and out in left field.

Remove fuzz with a ball of fuzz? That's not very intelligent. Trying to associate q-tips to "good mechanics" and then some how suggest that you are one. You are displaying more of your self congratulatory masturbation.

Never, ever, ever touch or scrub the MAF sensor's wires because they are very delicate and could break.

Stick to lawn mowers retard. (edited)

punkrock randy /

I learned this shit as a teen in auto mechanics school over 20 years ago. Lemme guess =D~~on, u probably also let your calipers hang by the hoses whilst removed? You should work on your rascal only from here forth, nothing more!!

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Q-tips are great if you're a good mechanic. You make sure there is no

> fuzz on the tiny wires when done. Do I have to explain everything to

> you, Punk?

Kind of early in the day for you to be sundowning isn't it? Even said on the can not to touch sensor with anything.

Only the good mechanic can scrub the wires. If they don't admit they've done it, they are probably lying. LOL!

I cut a piece of thin cardboard like a slice of pizza, then fold it to a point and use a little brake clean on it to gently brush the stubborn stuff off of the hot wire if spraying it doesn’t remove it all. I use a jewelers loupe to see if it’s clean. You should be able to see the fine hot wire wrapped around the nuggy.

I’d think using a q-tip would be like picking your nose with your elbow, and the fuzzys getting snagged on the support wires, but whatever.

Fucking fords are notorious for shitting up the maf. Most other cars never need cleaned.

See, Blaine admits it. Doesn't like my method, but then I don't care for his either. LOL!

Here's a youtube of a pro that uses a SCREWDRIVER (I'd never do THAT!).

Here's a video of a guy that swears by Qtips, like myself. Says he's never had a failure, like me.

I'm impressed Blaine owned up to being a good mechanic who wanta really clean MAF and not just spraying a whole can of cleaner.

Now if we can just get him to be more serious about filter maintenance....LOL!

Here 's a really good video that shows why Blaine or I would feel that they need a gentle scrubbing as well. Just pick it up at 6:25 into the video. The guy is working for WELLS ( I never cared for their parts) and has a100X video image on the wires.

I have no patience for that, I just bought a new one, at 170k the og sensor owes me nothing. Will not own the car long enough to need another. A q-tip is just depositing more of the same or damaging the wires, just replace the damn thing and be done. I'm not rich but it was not crazy spendy. Who knows, maybe the spray worked on the old one, my ignorance about disconnecting the battery after cleaning means I will never know, and, I don't care, the car runs great now! :)

Like I said, when spray doesn't do it, I use a Q-tip (I may try Blaine's way next time, I dunno). I've never left any deposits on any wires and never had to buy a new MAF sensor.

Some of those MAFS are really expensive. The guy in the ToyMotor film said around 600 bucks. PHEW! I'll never pay that for something I can clean like new.

Mine was about a c-note, had the car 6 yrs now, not too much to pay. Still would never touch the sensor if the spray does not work, just swap it out, the days of fussing with something are past unless you have a nice old school car, that can be tuned/adjusted by hand. The poor thing is a rust bucket, but runs and rides like a lincoln, the good rear drive one... :) Mechanically it is just fine, too bad we dump rock salt on the roads...but she has a new lease on life. :) Back-up summer commuter, it will see 29 mpg on the highway at 70 with ac on, as it was not a P-71 with the low gear posi rear end. Dual exhaust is next, fresh coolant and a trans flush, and to think I was going to junk her when the fuel pump failed! :) The mighty Tercel gets 32.5 hwy at 60mph with air or without, but such a tiny car, worth the few less in summer to ride the Crown. Tercel is better in the snow though. Wish she was a 4 or 5 spd, then 38mpg, on the look out in southern states for another.

During the older Aerostar's life I cleaned the MAF a few times. Always made it run better. Never bought a new MAF for it in 244,000 miles. The one I have now, I've only cleaned it once. Gets good mileage and runs everywhere, including to and from FL, 3or 4 times a year.

Probably all told only a dozen Q-tips and a can of MAF cleaner for all that time.

Whatever works for you, I bought a new one and car runs great, I don't care. Remove and replace is where it's at unless you have a cool old car you can tune. :) BTW never touched the fuel filter and have full flow, tested! ;) No codes either! New cars suck...to work on, did just get a 2006 f-250....she's a beautiful beast, 5.4 I think? 2wd, owned by the state of MN before me, runs like a swiss watch with 324,000 on her, trans shifts as new, may need u-joints, but not right away, I MAY put 500 miles a year on it, so not worried. :)

new 011.jpg
new 012.jpg

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I have no patience for that, I just bought a new one, at 170k the og

> sensor owes me nothing. Will not own the car long enough to need

> another. A q-tip is just depositing more of the same or damaging the

> wires, just replace the damn thing and be done. I'm not rich but it was

> not crazy spendy. Who knows, maybe the spray worked on the old one, my

> ignorance about disconnecting the battery after cleaning means I will

> never know, and, I don't care, the car runs great now! :)

Exactly! For me it's the time instead of the patience.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> During the older Aerostar's life I cleaned the MAF a few times. Always

> made it run better. Never bought a new MAF for it in 244,000 miles. The

> one I have now, I've only cleaned it once. Gets good mileage and runs

> everywhere, including to and from FL, 3or 4 times a year.

>

> Probably all told only a dozen Q-tips and a can of MAF cleaner for all

> ll that time.

Don that's the difference between you and Blaine. Blaine is a professional mechanic that posts pics of his work and advice from many years experience.

Don, you are a hobbyist that post youtube links of where you get your information to fix shit you haven't a clue about.

Like I said before, but you're not listening, you can have full flow and be working your fuel pump harder without knowing it.

Change the fuel filter every 40K.

Like i said before, on a returnless system (overwhelming majority of todays vehicles) the fuel pressure regulator is BEFORE the filter, so no amount of restriction in the filter makes the pump work harder. The pump seeing a continuous load at all times, forever.

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account