Nano-Diamond self charging batteries

Well if these work, it will be amazing, time to sell the ic stuff, and wait until they make a batt pack of these for the Onyx! :) Article on New Atlas.com and I'm sure elsewhere on the web, but that's where I read about it. Prob a good company to buy stock in...

Re: Nanao-Diamond self charging batteries

I can guarantee it's not as good as it sounds but curious to read into it! I spend a lot of time on carbon, a lot more time on battery materials, and definitely a lot on evaluating sustainable tech. like remember in high school reading books and having to write a report and thinking i'll never use this. and you definitely got more credit for it being longer. now i read research papers and write reallllly short reports.

Re: Nanao-Diamond self charging batteries

According to article they have a proof-of concept model...it's a cool idea IF it works, thing is IF it is all that, why has it not been snapped up by government/big oil or utility companies?

Re: Nano-Diamond self charging batteries

I have a couple of friends doing their PHDs in battery tech. The problem with these breakthroughs is almost always in scaling up. Hopefully that isn't the case here, but I'll remain cautiously excited about this.

They claim it's scalable.....I don't know a thing about it, other than it could be a real game changer if it works, even just on a small scale, like phones, lap tops flashlights etc. Initial offering of AA AAA and a few other sizes....

At a glance, their using energy emitted from a radioactive isotope; Carbon 14.

It should not be surprising that a nuclear battery can be made, that’s old tech. Carbon 14, according to google, is weak. So, it ain’t dangerous in normal circumstances.

If lithium batteries are expensive, I doubt I’ll ever be able to afford one made from diamonds and refined elements of nuclear waste.

Cool science project trick though.

They are synthetic diamonds, and not awesome ring types, the claim is same price range as lithium batts...

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> At a glance, their using energy emitted from a radioactive isotope;

> Carbon 14.

>

> It should not be surprising that a nuclear battery can be made, that’s

> old tech. Carbon 14, according to google, is weak. So, it ain’t

> dangerous in normal circumstances.

>

> If lithium batteries are expensive, I doubt I’ll ever be able to afford

> one made from diamonds and refined elements of nuclear waste.

>

> Cool science project trick though.

Diamonds are cheap despite what the jewelry industry tells you. Nuclear waste is even cheaper

They also say should they run out of nuclear waste, (yeah right) they can make carbon 14 economically? At the moment energy co's will pay them to take the waste off their hands, and when batt expires only harmless elements remain, sounds too good to be true, but the IC engine was once a "neat science experiment" :)

If they succeed and mass produce, the price would have to come down.

It would be totally worth it for so many low energy things.

I like the thought of never replacing batteries in small stuff. If a self recharging EV was to become real, that would be a true revolution. The nuclear powered fleet of the Navy has incredible endurance for the amount of fuel. They’re using some nasty gamma ray emitting uranium type shit.

Not quite as cool as Ironman’s arc reactor, but close.

Nuclear waste isn’t cheap if there is a market.

Gasoline used to be burned off as a waste product. Look at it now.

Nuclear contaminated waste is plentiful. Actual spent fuel is probably more rare than refined gold. Once it goes from a problem to a commodity, it will be very expensive and heavily controlled (already is).

I wasn’t trying to sound so negative. Sorry if I came out the gate as a downer. Too many tech promises come and go. The bastards that run this world won’t let it happen until they’ve pumped every barrel of oil out of the ground and every once of coal is burnt.

It’s nice to see some hope on the horizon for my kids. I should focus on that.

(Damn autocorrects are getting out of line. Changing my perfectly spelled and accurate words out for nonsense.) (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account