Re: Changed my mind about electric

Papa _ /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

WillD,

You seem to like stories, so I’ll share one about fires.

I used to work in Brinks armored cars. I started as a driver. I think you had to. One day, I was rolling toward a busy intersection and the engine just died and I heard something that sounded like arcing.

Armored money trucks, at least the old ones, were not glamorous at all. Just loud, rattling bare steel and essentials. I came to a stop and started smelling the unmistakable scent of burning metal and rubber. But no smoke yet.

I told the guy in the back, on the radio, that I thought something was burning and was going to try to restart the truck and get out of the middle of the road. It started back up and I pulled into a parking lot right in the corner of the intersection.

Brinks has a rule about someone always having to be secured in the front of the truck. At no time should the driver and messenger both be out. Fires are a special circumstance, but need extra security.

We could see smoke coming out of the left front fender. Pulled the hood and found small flames coming from the frame where battery cables had worn through a grommet and the insulation. All that was burning was the insulation and we hit it with an extinguisher repeatedly to keep the flames down.

I called 911 and told the dispatcher that I was an armored car driver and I had to leave my vehicle because it was on fire. They told me I wasn’t in their jurisdiction and transferred me to another dept. the next dispatcher got the address and sent the fire department. I told them, since there was a large amount of liability involved, I would like the police sent as well. They transferred me to police dispatch. Police dispatch got the address and said they would send someone.

I want to say several minutes went buy and the police dispatch called back. They confirmed the address. Which I was reading from the intersection signs and giving them the businesses at the location. The fire dept got there first. At this time, the fire was out and there was dry extinguisher dust everywhere. Another Brinks truck was in route. And we were just standing there. The police dispatch called back again! Almost insisting that I must be giving incorrect information because they could not find us. An armored car, skirted in yellow powder with a couple fire trucks in busy intersection.

I told them to call and ask the fire department, because they knew where it was. It was just me being a little pissed, because they had an attitude. Afterward, I was proud that I got it right. Usually, I think of something witty too late.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Changed my mind about electricTopic by: Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ 09/01/20 12:56AM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 09/01/20 01:35AM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Papa _ Papa _ 09/01/20 03:23AM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Nick MBC Nick MBC 09/01/20 11:16AM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ 09/01/20 12:16PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 09/01/20 11:38AM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Don Ohio Don Ohio 09/01/20 03:24PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Papa _ Papa _ 09/01/20 11:46AM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 09/01/20 01:36PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Papa _ Papa _ 09/01/20 02:17PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Nick MBC Nick MBC 09/01/20 05:24PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 09/02/20 10:45AM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 09/02/20 12:31PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: The Dude The Dude 09/01/20 04:27PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ 09/01/20 08:38PM
  Re: Changed my mind about electricRe: Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ 09/16/20 12:44PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account