Found three bicycles on the side of the road yesterday

3.jpg

I found these while I was on the way to get some pizza. They were clearly the result of a garage cleanout. I've oiled the chain and noticed two need tires and the other one has a bent rim.

I'm still unsure what to do with them. I guess I'll either fix them or sell them.

Kind of cool, not as cool as finding a thrown out moped of course.

Re: Found three bicycles on the side of the road yesterday

Overpriced Parts /

Yeah I find bicycles on side the road all the time, they are a dime a dozen

but do you have any Moped’s”

Now that you sold all Your mopeds off/don’t have any more mopeds maybe you should only post an off-topic!

punkrock randy /

Roffman drunk and typing crummy again. He’s jealous because he only finds unicycles. Wait, how many biers have i had??

Does anyone actually listen to your suggestions Roffster? (edited)

Also I think it must be insulting to boomers when you sell off stuff and hook people up with deals. . my dad still harasses me because I sold an old rusty truck "too cheap" so that some homeless guy could drive it/live in it.

I'll get more mopeds, don't worry roffy poo.

He tells me to post in the OT. I post in the OT and it gets deleted. The world is strange and confusing now! Time to turn on the radio rebuild my Qjet and dream of $50 magnums. These stupid kids buying new distributors when ya can just replace the pick up coil!!!!

Is that middle one a Gary Fisher? I had a red one like that....loved the bike...got stolen years ago when I went into a bar. They tried to cut the lock with hedge trimmers then got it with a hack saw....and a hammer. I kept the tools they left behind but I still miss that bike.

I'll check, that sucks about the theft. I would give the bicycle to you if you were closer.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I just saved this one from the curb the other day.

Kmart ALL-PRO. 3 on the tree with headlight, mousetrap rack, and matching basket.

Aired the tires and took it for a hot lap. A little chrome cleaning and she’ll be a 10.

I always liked those 3 speeds.

3802B888-790A-4EE9-94B5-48011A71F624.jpeg
B0DCC86D-99CE-4CFB-AF66-BCA5BDE24E4C.jpeg

Nice, I love those old lights....

That Kmart bike is so nice!!! Everything about it, the style, the colors, the kmart nostalgia,.man! NICE SCORE

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Looks like 3 decent bikes, better than Walmart garbage. Well worth the pick up. Pop them up online and make a few bucks, or give them to people in need.

I got a real nice Specialized mountain bike out of the garbage earlier this year. All aluminum frame, I liked it so much I’m keeping it.

It is amazing that bicycles have so little value in this country, our obesity rate would be lower if they did, those are all nice machines, clean 'em up and sell them, the price was sure right!

I mean, the repair cost will kill alotta riders. When you got some shit bike for 200 bucks and it's sat for 3 years and now it needs new tires cables and tuneup for over 100, you just toss it to the curb and buy a new one.

In atl I started a co-op at GA Tech reclaiming abandoned bikes on campus. It eventually expanded to include apartmentbuildings and even Marta (the rail/bus system) donating wasted bikes. Unfortunately Marta actually preferred to scrap them than donate them cuz they'd get some tiny few bucks back

We'd offer tools parts and help to fix the bikes for cheap. Basically we had a "cage" full of bikes in varying states of repair, they'd start in price usually around 1/4 to half the "new" cost. Then each repair was a deduction. If you did the repairs (with our tools parts and help) you got the deduction, or we could ifx it for you and you pay full price. So like, 250 bike, starting at 100, needs tires (-10 ea) needs cables (-5), derailleur replaced and tuned etc and if you did the work you learn something and got a good bike for 50 bucks. Many wound up being free (FIYFI - free if you fix it)

all profits went to buying new tools stands and parts to be able to help people repair their bikes. Or the real trash ones got stripped for commonly needed parts.

We had the best tools. I was the mechanical chair and my rule was if a bike needed a tool we didn't have, we'd buy the tool. I mean we spent hundreds on bottom bracket threaders to save $75 Walmart mountainbikes so we could give them away. but it was soooo worth it. I'm proud it's still going on and serving atl. We also offered parts at cost if people needed them.

Anyway, I still like to fix up bikes. very satisfying especially when you can offer it to someone who appreciates it. I spent weeks at one point on this really neat Raleigh mountain bike, it was all built out top of the line early 90s - appropriate era stuff, full classic XT groupset, it wasn't expensive but it was the culmination of a buncha parts i'd saved and salvaged toward something I really liked and very classic. I gave it to this lady who'd been commuting 7 miles on a full suspension huffy to work. She loved that bike, we set her up a cart on it for groceries, and she'd come by sometimes we'd make or get dinner for the volunteers. Even got her kid a bike and into fixing bikes (she was like 4, but had fun)

Really made me pretty furious with the shit state of "minimum wage" but that's a whole other story. That lady worked harder to get to work than most do at work.

It was fun, I build a tandem outta some scrap frames as a valentines present one year, I really enjoyed trying to make the best possible bikes for as cheap as possible, most of my friends still ride on bikes I built outta there and some started some deep deep cylcling hobbies.

And this "cargo bike" I made we'd use to carry our mobile bike-repair stand to setup around campus or events and fix bikes free

It was alsways fun trying to make stuff that looked good and worked well out scraps and spares. This was some MTB bits put together with some frames from a failed bike-share program I think from Miami!

tandem.JPG
10530522_10152584556223151_7513676411615909938_o.jpg
10431291_10152584556253151_1082192412948090047_o.jpg

Born to be WillD that is really impressive and something to be proud of.

The middle bike is a Trek 7200 FX.

Also Stephen is right it is crazy how undervalued the bicycles are... in fact I believe the mere act of riding a bicycle is offensive to some, ie "coal rollers"

Oh well, still a nice score to me. I'll think about it some more and try to figure out what I should do with them. They do seem kind of cool.

junk bikes are the best bikes. I've bought a few nicer road and gravel bikes the last few years and just from the take offs I have a pretty nice parts bin of zipp, FSA, mavic, and modern sram stuff I wanna put on a frame of some sort. maybe for my girlfriend idk

I pick up bikes on the side of the road all the time and fix them up, been doing it since I was a little kid! I generally sell them because there are a lot of people who can’t afford a new one and this way they can get a functioning bike for cheap. It’s amazing what people just toss away too, I’ve gotten some really high end and also newer bikes that need straight forward repairs.

Just picked up this one for free. Unfortunately the rear derailleur is broken, so i'll have to replace that, but on a bike this expensive i think it will be worth it.

IMG_20201014_143143.jpg

Does anyone here know if any shimano 8 speed derailleur will work? There are a bunch on AliExpress for just 10 bucks.

usually most any derailleur can work if it's long enough, sometimes they don't index right if it's an indexed shifter so I'd try to keep it matched to the original. may need to change chain length too. what was on it?

It had this Shimano Alivio on it. 8 gears on the cassette.

IMG_20201014_170531.jpg

I'm going to visit some bicycle shops tomorrow to see what they've got.

those alivios are pretty cheap. you could probably just get another one and be sure it works and probably one of the cheapest options anyway.

Usually all the stuff swaps pretty interchangeably as long as it's also an 8 or 9 speed (7 and smaller is a thicker chain) from the same brand. well, also check it's bolt-on. safest bet is to keep the derailleur matched to the groupset of the shifter. the spacing on the cassette is always same for 8 speeds so any 8 speed set will work, like you could go get a SRAM shifter to match a SRAM rear der and be good. Sometimes between brands or groupsets (usually between road vs mountain) the indexing cable to pull ratio can be different. If it's friction shift you can use literally any 8 speed derailleur. You can also finagle cross-brand stuff usually but best bet is to keep it same brand - shimano. the mountain bike ones like tourney acera altus just have longer travel cages so they cover bigger gear ranges, and can be a little tighter tension if you're jumping or hitting bumps but the spacing still works. you don't need a long cage but it wont hurt anything measurable. The cable pull ratios on every one I've ever seen from shimano 8/9 road or mountain is exactly identical, and you can use the trigger shift grip shift whatever.

TLDR: any shimano 8 or 9 speed rear derailleur will work, but alivios the exact match and probably cheapest option so just do that.

What are the odds, another free bicycle and on this one everything is broken except for the Shimano Alivio derailleur!

IMG_20201016_144441.jpg

Nice rack too....

That is awesome.

Pick up this one for free today, only needs a new shifter cable.

IMG_20201102_160856.jpg

Was digging around in a metal dumpster where I work and someone tossed in like 10 bikes. Most are name brand mountain bikes with shocks. They were for college kids and are all painted yellow. I had half a mind to pull them out but I just got rid of the last bike i had. They would just sit outside and rust.

You wouldn't believe how many bikes got abandoned that we picked up and turned around to people who needed or wanted them. Every year after classes we would tag abandoned looking bikes that said move this or remove the tag in 30 days or it will be assumed abandoned. Then 30 days later we would cut off all the bikes that still had tags and hold them til next school year starts, any bikes not claimed in the 1st month went to the shop to teach people to repair and ride. Ample time to reclaim bikes. I'd say of bikes we tagged maybe 25% people would move or at least take off the tags, but of the ones they didn't, 99/100 never were recaimed. You'd get one every once in a while usually didn't pay attention to the tags and emails and submit a police report stolen only to find we had it.

That said it was wild what people threw away and every year we'd get around a dozen bikes with tags still on, bought in the start of the college year, locked up outside the dorm and never ridden or even looked at once (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account