My XL100

Here is an old xl I picked up. I was told it needed ignition work, so of course this means the top end is toast. The motor is out and I'll dissasemble it to check things out.

I traded the newport for it, but when fixed it should be worth magnum price.

You see that's been the goal all along, I'm a moped alchemist. I want to transmute the Maxi to Magnum... I have to keep quiet about it though for some reason my sorcery stirs the blood.

xl100.jpg

Re: My XL100

They are pretty tough motors as long as the cam journals aren't wiped out. I had one, cam chain was slappy, guides wore out, no compression, valves leaky... Still started right up and ran like a champ.

You're right. This one did run once I added oil to the cylinder, but it would burn off and back to non running.....maybe I should have just ran premix, lol. Too bad it isn't the 125 or I could have got the cheap top end kit. Anyhow I'll fix it and get that sweet sweet magnum money or just keep it IDK. (edited)

Let me know if you need the Cam Chain Guides I have a set for mine that I did not use.

Yes they are bullet proof engines once set right.

There used to be a Big Valve Head on eBay for the 100. There was also a company that made big bore kits for the 100 also but I cannot find them? It was Power All or something like that.

Make sure to clean the spin filter on it.

Thanks for the help Mark. I'll post pics once I dig into it. Hopefully it's not too bad.

I literally had the valve adjuster tappet back out on my XL 100 and the stud and nut bounced around the motor and did not damage a single thing. If that's not bullet proof I don't know what is

Wow! I remember my brother found an xr80 on the side of the road that he got running. I would have thought it was stolen except he knew the guy that threw it out. It had low compression and you had to kick the hell out of it but once it fired it ran well.

I don't know why this one died, it is old as fuck though so I guess it's earned some new rings.

xl 100 motors and xr100 motors look so similar I'd bet you could swap for a newer xr/crf100 engine.

Mount points are pretty different, the xl uses the cb100 motor which is a stressed member so you'd probably have to build a cradle for the xr motor. XR motors are always $$$ in my experience but I dunno. The cb125 motors are really common and usually dirty cheap. They are a direct drop in, if I were you I'd just try to find one of those

I'm confused.....shouldn't I just freshen up this motor? A bore and piston kit shouldn't be too much I imagine.

Looks like a 74 or so model, it has the same engine as the CL100, CB100, and SL100. A couple years later the XL's got a different motor

Dirty30 Dillon /

That year XL is notoriously bad ignition-wise. I have an XL175 that burns a bit of oil and runs strong, but as soon as the battery drains, it's kaput

Luckily I got it sparking pretty quick. Thank you for letting me know about that. I'll make sure to keep the battery topped off. Whoever messed with it before me could not wire at all, but they bought cool shocks and installed them, lol.

It's got the same shitty selenium rectifier as all the old Honda's, that's usually the problem. 6v dc points are barely adequate. In theory I bet you could update it to a modern 12v rectifier but it's been a long time since I've messed with one.

Yeah if there's no battery connected to the circuit, no spark. It will spark with a dead battery but it'll likely die every time you hit the brake and the brake light comes on. They need charged batteries

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mount points are pretty different, the xl uses the cb100 motor which is

> a stressed member so you'd probably have to build a cradle for the xr

> motor. XR motors are always $$$ in my experience but I dunno. The cb125

> motors are really common and usually dirty cheap. They are a direct drop

> in, if I were you I'd just try to find one of those

Xr isn't cradle frame either

Yea, I was gonna say what graham already did, rectifier issue is the charging problem. Had that issue on a cub and s90

20201016_134045.jpg
20201016_134151.jpg
20201016_134056.jpg

More nonsense

20201016_134101.jpg
20201016_134117.jpg
20201016_134200.jpg

She takes me by the hand and makes me a man'

That one night, one night, I take apart the boomer bike

One night, boomer bike, alright alright' oh ya!!

I want to do some tricky piston stuff and win the vintage bush series

20201016_143646.jpg
20201016_143718.jpg

I am now considering letting go of project boomer bike. My original intention was actually to give it to my wife, but she told me she really isn't into it... then there was the magnum transmutation idea, but eh.... my heart isn't in the work, I could slap it together but I don't want to do that.

I have bought bikes that have been slapped together and it shows... so I'll try to pass it on to someone who will treat the machine with respect.

Ok, so looks like 4T motors taken apart scare people. I got some offers that amounted to just pushing it outside and having a nice dinner... eh, looks like we're holding. Meanwhile people rush to get a $300 non running maxi.

Anyhow, I messed around with it and found the top ring stuck. It took awhile but I freed it with my rusty pocket knife.

A quick hone, some gaskets and go? Maybe...maybe.

Lap the valves, too.

I usually set a piston with stuck ring on my pellet stove this time of year.

Thanks, I'll make sure to lap em' good. Haha, I remember my dad making the valve lapping gesture when talking to people about his first car. He paid ten bucks I think.

eh nobody really wants them, they are heavy, slow, brakes suck.... i dunno, i got mine together and running and bailed on it. thought it was gonna be a lot more fun than it was.

Eh, set it aside if not into it, but keep it, a Honda is a Honda, it will always be worth something, may not have the performance people expect today, but stock it will fire and run and take you where you need to go, just do what Soichiro says...lol. Buy Honda parts, not janky clone shit, take your time and you will have a functional motorcycle, is it worth much, maybe, maybe not, will it be useful, damn right, it has lights, so can be street ridden. We are spoiled here, being able to pick and choose projects, there are people in the world who would love to own that. Do like Will D did with bicycles and sell it cheap to someone who does not have a car or a way around, Honda=quality, and it could serve someone well. My 2 cents.

Thanks guys, you both are right. I don't think I could actually do bad motor work if I tried. Meanwhile people can sell me motors with severe vacuum leaks and a piston facing the wrong way.... the difference being that I don't do drugs I guess, lol.

I kind of like how some of us can put together a motor like this casually and it legit scares away many "mechanics," lol. At one time I wanted to be able to split the cases, use the dial indicators and rebuild the transmissions... now I realize there just is no good reason for me to do this other than curiosity.

Ordering parts for these bikes is annoying... I wish treatland would expand haha

I have a very nice 1970 CL100. It sat on the back burner for way to long with other projects. I thought I really messed it up when I overhauled the engine, but when I finally found the issue it was a super easy repair and now it runs like a Swiss watch. I actually listed it for sale right after the repair. But after a few rides I decided that was STUPID! Such a nice fun little bike. Now the wife is looking at it now that it is all set-up right to ride it.

So hold on and see.

The cl90 I sold may forever haunt me... such is life I guess. You really can't meet an automotive enthusiast who hasn't regretted at least one sale or lost opportunity.

Thanks for the advice!

By the pic, the bike looks like an SL100. That means more valuable.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account