The tank says ROYAL...

So this must be my African Queen.

This bike has some history and I will not change a thing. Just keep it running like it is.

Not quite a steal @ 120,000 cfa. But I’m happy with the purchase. Best souvenir ever.

C1B7FF48-FA78-4CD5-B65C-C6A5D09B716D.jpeg

Re: The tank says ROYAL...

I like it! I've always liked the looks of these types of early sports bikes. Nice!!

180€ is not that bad, and you probably have free shipping so thats great. Love those wheels, what size are they?

Those pushrod honda clones are bulletproof but all the crappy china ones I've seen stateside shake like an unbalanced washing machine, are those any better?

Don't forget the garbage clutches. I equate them to fake Rolexes, they kind of work long enough to sell and that's it.

I’m guessing these things run like tanks to take the abuse out here. This one is probably well worn but it’s not actually in my possession yet and I can’t ride it right away anyhow.

I am going to spend the next few months tearing it down and rebuilding the important parts. Then box up the pieces and ship it home. Then, it will stay in boxes until I move back to the US. Depending on what state we end up in, I might be able to register it and ride it or just play with it around the yard.

It is, first and foremost, a souvenir of my time in Africa. So, it never has to do anymore than sit stationary for me to enjoy it. I might try to acquire some parts here too. Believe me, I saw those wheels and thought: “I wouldn’t mind having a pile of those.”

Not trying to work my connection to death on this stuff though. But if I find out there’s a tiny motorcycle boneyard somewhere, I’ll definitely try to do some scavenging.

What year is it? As soon as it hits 25 years old it gets significantly easier to title/plate in the US. Make sure you keep all the paperwork from when you buy it/when you import it and hold onto it until it hits that magical 25 year mark if it hasn't already

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What year is it? As soon as it hits 25 years old it gets significantly

> easier to title/plate in the US. Make sure you keep all the paperwork

> from when you buy it/when you import it and hold onto it until it hits

> that magical 25 year mark if it hasn't already

Nick I appreciate that. I don’t expect there to be any paperwork involved. They don’t title or register anything here. It will probably end up as an off-road only thing.

Sorry I jumped the gun on starting the thread. I was excited and now there’s delays in my actually acquiring it. I will follow up with photos and info when I do start taking it apart.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Nick MBC Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > What year is it? As soon as it hits 25 years old it gets significantly

>

> > easier to title/plate in the US. Make sure you keep all the paperwork

>

> > from when you buy it/when you import it and hold onto it until it hits

>

> > that magical 25 year mark if it hasn't already

>

> Nick I appreciate that. I don’t expect there to be any paperwork

> involved. They don’t title or register anything here. It will probably

> end up as an off-road only thing.

>

> Sorry I jumped the gun on starting the thread. I was excited and now

> there’s delays in my actually acquiring it. I will follow up with photos

> and info when I do start taking it apart.

Easy, when you get back file for a Termont plate and then transfer that to your state. There are a lot of gray market bikes with titles thanks to Vermont

It runs. It rides. It’s a marvel of clone endurance. Looks like I could get away with a carb rebuild and new seals/gaskets and call it a day. Only real “problem” is that the frame has been welded back together at the rear shocks. PrObAbly from carrying too many people on rutted dirt roads. And the rear wheel looks like it ran around “barefoot” in a stone quarry. But hey, I wanted a piece of the local history and I got it.

Anyone know if real Honda parts reasearch would produce clone aftermarket parts that fit these things? I’m having no luck searching for Kasea or Royal brand parts.

5A69699A-BD99-4FEF-B264-3192A5BE1796.jpeg

The intake is bandaged together. It runs like there’s no float in the bowl. The gas I got for it looked like turbid, brown pond water and was delivered in an old Capt Morgan bottle.

The transmission it N-1,2,3,4,5 all down. That was weird for me.

It has a battery on board but I don’t think it does anything. Maybe I can just remove it and always kick start?

I’m so excited about this. I hope you guys appreciate how happy I am to get this bike here. Once in a lifetime. It even car with the best keychain ever and it will be my new motorcycle keychain for all my rides.

90443024-AB4E-4C51-B440-751C65DCE7F3.jpeg
317AFCE6-80DB-4A4F-B245-FB965D3F7CC9.jpeg
36F242E0-1102-4224-96D9-90DBBE4BB9C2.jpeg

Yeah that's pretty darn cool. The clone GC motors are a total crap shoot, from the China ones I've seen stateside almost all the engine parts are interchangeable but a lot of the ancillary parts are sourced from wherever, you might have a starter solenoid from a scooter, or a throttle control from a C70.

They are dumb simple inside, they are basically lawnmower engines. I would say try to source the parts you need before you leave because the frame and body stuff might be impossible to get stateside, but you can probably get the engine stuff easy enough to hold off on a full rebuilt until you a better place to work on it.

Nobody should say a word against these Chinese clone 125s.

The abuse this one has seen and still fires right up and rides. I am thoroughly impressed.

Here’s some pics from the teardown so far.

Intake side of head, well used improvised air filter, and desert style valve cover bolt thread “fix”.

0BEF69C6-C02E-412F-8BE4-B75733A939E8.jpeg
0E22EDD1-97B8-4773-B2BF-A7A515860461.jpeg
ED83F709-254C-46FC-A6B8-1D9B085D09A5.jpeg

The last CG motor I came across was in an atv, which was really terrible because going slow resulted in slipping the clutch. I did notice the engine ran great so you should be in good shape powertrain wise.

I wish I could remember the name of the ATV. I think I ended up getting a PZ carb, and intake for it, the CDI box seemed to not be the greatest quality so maybe keep an eye out for electrical gremlins.

I see no reason that this bike won't outlast us all.

It is a very cool souvenir!!

Pulled the head and Cylinder. Not too shabby. It needs a good cleaning and the cam (followers?) are pretty worn. Nothing I would want to see in my street bike. Probably just smooth them a bit and run it like that.

If i can find a hone, I think I’ll see where new rings can get me with compression. I didnt have a way to check it here, but it kicks over way too easy for me to assume its good.

some more pics of carnage:

35A439D4-8102-4ABA-9040-CB8D0021B503.jpeg
9D66B80A-5980-4403-A349-D589BE81BB14.jpeg
D62CCC72-4962-42BC-A768-53264A07FCA4.jpeg

You'd be surprised how well a block of wood and a hammer will straighten that rim out.

You can probably replace the head, cam, followers, piston and cylinder for about 200 bucks. But where's the fun in that...

whoa, I wouldn't have expected those to be pushrod

we been doing more dirtbike rides lately and our friend just got a vertical honda clone 150, it's a hawk, dirt only. fuck that thing is fun

it also breaks easily, I tore the brake lever off 1st ride and it idles pretty poorly and leaked oil pretty badly out the output shaft within the 1st 5 hours.

Still, it was cheap and it's super fun, crazy what I could pull off with that thing, I was blown away, doing things i'd have though i'd needed a much bigger bike for.

I asked my interpreter friend if he could find some parts in town. i was looking to just get this thing back on its feet and running right before tearing it down to send home. He’s getting me a brand new rear tire, rear brake pedal, CDI box, coil-plug wire, piston kit, full engine seals, and spark plug for $44. Considering you can buy an entire, brand new bike for $400, thats not a steal. But, its cheaper than the bill I’m used to for this sort of thing.

0EEBA1FC-C27C-43D8-ADDD-2300B7F335C0.jpeg
EFD0B1EC-10B6-45DE-A697-BA435B109B96.png
1113B41D-03B9-45B4-8226-7ABA3D5FEC61.png

For perspective, I’ll post a pic of the local airport. Gives a better appreciation for the ability to get brand new parts so easily.

5C97EF9F-EB52-4103-A98D-620D42338B4D.jpeg

ha, well seems legit, i'd be excited to play with that

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account